The Student Room Group

People who win at life

"Good looking people win at life. People subconsciously and even consciously treat them better than ugly people so why should ugly people even bother with life?"

This was a rather worrying thing my friend said to me -worrying in that I agree with him to an extent. What does everyone else think?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Trypsin
"People who win at life are either:
1) good looking
2) very clever
3) rich
More often than not they are a combination of the above. Why should mediocre people even bother with life?"

This was a statement made by a friend of mine which got me thinking. What are everyone's views? Discuss

It's all a matter of opinion at the end of the day. Like for example, I wouldn't think someone with those traits would be "winning at life" if they don't have a heart, a loving family, supportive friends or give something back to the community. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have either of those traits, or all three, but without the traits I also listed I wouldn't personally say they're winning. That's just me :smile:

Also I forgot to add that people interpret life differently, therefore value certain things over others. So to some, the things you listed may not even matter to them.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Novascope
It's all a matter of opinion at the end of the day. Like for example, I wouldn't think someone with those traits would be "winning at life" if they don't have a heart, a loving family, supportive friends or give something back to the community. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have either of those traits, or all three, but without the traits I also listed I wouldn't personally say they're winning. That's just me :smile:

Also I forgot to add that people interpret life differently, therefore value certain things over others. So to some, the things you listed may not even matter to them.

Whoops I misquoted what my friend said. The stuff about money and brains did come Into the conversation later on but wasn't the point I was focussing on!
I don't think you can win at life, you're going to die anyway. It also depends on your definition of winning.

My understanding of being a winner is achieving happiness, and you certainly don't need looks, money or being very clever to do that. Most people are average *cough* and plenty of them love their lives and would never think of just giving up because they aren't Bill Gates.

I'd rather have a sound mental health than looks or money.

Seems like a very shallow question coming from someone with no experience of what life is about.
Original post by Alba2013
I don't think you can win at life, you're going to die anyway. It also depends on your definition of winning.

My understanding of being a winner is achieving happiness, and you certainly don't need looks, money or being very clever to do that. Most people are average *cough* and plenty of them love their lives and would never think of just giving up because they aren't Bill Gates.

Seems like a very shallow question coming from someone with no experience of what life is about.

Society and the media in particular place so much value on things like wealth and aesthetics so I think it would be crazy that someone didn't try to achieve them. Unless you are happy with mediocrity of course..

The world is shallow?
There are some people in life who are just born wealthy families and so they don't have to work hard to achieve greatness and become successful. However, there are rich and successful people in life that were not born with greatness and they were just born as a mediocre person. They had to fight and keep on fighting their way to the top in order to become rich, famous and successful. A great example of a mediocre person who became rich, famous and successful is Arnold Schwarzenegger. he received so much criticism from people that he was never going to make it as an actor because of his accent. However, he ignored everyone and never gave up and kept trying and trying till he finally made it. If he listened to other people's negative comments and just accepted their views, there would be no Terminator films. NEVER GIVE UP!!!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Aloogobi123
Society and the media in particular place so much value on things like wealth and aesthetics so I think it would be crazy that someone didn't try to achieve them. Unless you are happy with mediocrity of course..

There are many, many hot and wealthy people up to their eyebrows in drugs and alcohol because they can't cope. Millionaires, singers, models who commit suicide because they hate their lives.

Happiness is subjective, that's why some strive to be millionaires while others go volunteer in mud huts none is better than the other.

You can be as shallow as you wish. One day hopefully you'll realise the media doesn't count for **** in your life and you can break away from the slavery and be happy :smile:
There are many, many hot and wealthy people up to their eyebrows in drugs and alcohol because they can't cope. Millionaires, singers, models who commit suicide because they hate their lives.

Happiness is subjective, that's why some strive to be millionaires while others go volunteer in mud huts none is better than the other.

You can be as shallow as you wish. One day hopefully you'll realise the media doesn't count for **** in your life and you can break away from the slavery and be happy :smile:

Cant cope with what? Being rich or good looking? Aw you're life is so tough I'm so sorry. For teenagers and in deed a lot of adults, looks are possibly the single most important thing in their lives. Look at the surge in plastic surgery in recent times if you don't believe me. Being ugly is tough
If you date someone ugly you're just basically saying to the world that I give up - I can't do any better and I'm settling for whatever I can get. Ugly people are never someone's first choice of a partner, they end up being a last resort
winner checking in.
Reply 11
Happiness comes from within.
Reply 12
I agree they have an advantage, but the advantage is hardly great enough as to outweigh hard work. Attractive people don't get success just handed to them (at least for the most part) - what is required is effort, talent and perseverance.

There are a great many opportunities just floating about out there, waiting to be grabbed by someone with the stones and tenacity to go and look for them. It's just comforting loser talk to give up before even trying.
Original post by Trypsin
"Good looking people win at life. People subconsciously and even consciously treat them better than ugly people so why should ugly people even bother with life?"

This was a rather worrying thing my friend said to me -worrying in that I agree with him to an extent. What does everyone else think?

Because why bother if good looking people win at life? YOU too can win at life! Yes, it's undeniable that most good looking people get their way in most things. But look closely, it's not entirely the looks that got them there. It could also be how they persuade others, their skills etc. Try to look beyond the look. What makes him/her get what he/she wants? Surely there must be something. Learn it, and try practice it. Because we are not created "ugly" just to be ugly. Our looks does not define the reason of our existence in this life.
Original post by Nyna_R22
Because why bother if good looking people win at life? YOU too can win at life! Yes, it's undeniable that most good looking people get their way in most things. But look closely, it's not entirely the looks that got them there. It could also be how they persuade others, their skills etc. Try to look beyond the look. What makes him/her get what he/she wants? Surely there must be something. Learn it, and try practice it. Because we are not created "ugly" just to be ugly. Our looks does not define the reason of our existence in this life.

*disagrees* society has double standards when it comes to the way people look. I'll give you an example: an ugly guy is a really clever and good at maths. People think he's a nerd. Good looking guy is good at maths. Everyone: omg he's so cleve and cute he must've worked so hard.

Id rather be dumb talentless and pretty than clever and ugly.

Ill give you you another example: rich ugly marries a pretty girl. She's a gold digger and he just pays for sex. Girl falls in love with really poor good looking guy: omg it's true love money is no issue when it comes to love

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending