The Student Room Group

4B's... where to apply.

I want to study biology at university next year. Probably going to comfortably achieve 4B's in bio, chem, maths and FM, dropping FM after AS but hopefully ABBB with A in bio. I have A* in maths and (technically an A* in FSMQ maths but highest is A)AAAAAAAABC (C in PE) at GCSE. I have looked at thestudentroom connect page and it seems that everybody has got millions of A*. Could I get into some like Nottingham with those AS and GCSE grades? I have a lot work experience planned and have done some already and hope to write an impressive personal statement (as does everyone).

Scroll to see replies

No one cares about work experience, my friend. Work on your academic performance instead.
Reply 2
Wait for your results, but 4Bs is fine for the vast majority of places!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by callum_law
No one cares about work experience, my friend. Work on your academic performance instead.

Some of the worst advice to date.
Original post by HygieneTherapy15
That is so not true.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Except it is. The only time where work experience is useful is in healthcare and care roles. Stacking shelves at Tesco is not going to help someone get into Notts for maths.
Original post by High Stakes

Why, because your sixth form tutor tells you otherwise? Oh okay, then.
Except it is. The only time where work experience is useful is in healthcare and care roles. Stacking shelves at Tesco is not going to help someone get into Notts for maths.

OP did not say that they were going to work in a Supermarket. Work experience tends not to mean those types of jobs.

On the other hand, working in a supermarket could provide useful experience for those not applying to university.
Why, because your sixth form tutor tells you otherwise? Oh okay, then.

Or because it's common sense? It depends on the course you choose to pursue obviously but saying work experience in general is pointless is foolish.
That poster is right, I was told by admissions offers @ Oxford that despite my EC's being stellar they would have had no effect on me receiving an offer.

All the top unis care about is UMS scores/ A*s and passion for subject srs.

Original post by HygieneTherapy15
That is so not true.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If someone wants to go into say, Investment Banking they look for a lot of Extra Curricular in students, so I'd say your point is unjustified.
Original post by Moordland
That poster is right, I was told by admissions offers @ Oxford that despite my EC's being stellar they would have had no effect on me receiving an offer.

Passion is usually derived from how you reflect back on the E.C you've done. Perhaps you didn't highlight that in the application process.
Passion is usually derived from how you reflect back on the E.C you've done. Perhaps you didn't highlight that in the application process.

Nice try.

Offer from Cambridge says otherwise
Nice try.

Offer from Cambridge says otherwise

And what course is this?
Or because it's common sense? It depends on the course you choose to pursue obviously but saying work experience in general is pointless is foolish.

It's common 'knowledge' but admission tutors, such as the head of Oxford's Admissions, have said that the push to make prospective applicants undertake work experience is pointless. It is suggested by sixth form admission tutors on the basis that it makes their meetings with you seem to have utility: they seem to be proactive in getting you into uni and you seem proactive yourself. But it really does not matter that your uncle knows someone at RBS who got you in the door there. It really doesn't. Focus on your academic performance.
Original post by EatAndRevise
OP did not say that they were going to work in a Supermarket. Work experience tends not to mean those types of jobs.

On the other hand, working in a supermarket could provide useful experience for those not applying to university.

I was talking about pathology labs for example, I don't mean work experience at Sainsburys.

Everyone knows the kids with work experience are the ones whose rich mummy/daddy organised it through their colleagues, and unis can see through this too.
If someone wants to go into say, Investment Banking they look for a lot of Extra Curricular in students, so I'd say your point is unjustified.

I was talking about where it is absolutely vital to get onto a programme. For nursing, for example, there is a set quota of care hours one has to meet in order to be eligible for the course. So it's absolutely vital. IB ECs are more aimed towards job applications after university, than applying for an undergraduate course. I have similar pressure as a law student, but I got into a decentish uni without airing my shelf stacking all that much when writing my PS. When it comes to applying for TCs or a pupillage, that is when the ECs have a little more effect.
I was talking about where it is absolutely vital to get onto a programme. For nursing, for example, there is a set quota of care hours one has to meet in order to be eligible for the course. So it's absolutely vital. IB ECs are more aimed towards job applications after university, than applying for an undergraduate course. I have similar pressure as a law student, but I got into a decentish uni without airing my shelf stacking all that much when writing my PS. When it comes to applying for TCs or a pupillage, that is when the ECs have a little more effect.

What would you say makes a good applicant to top universities then bar purely academic achievements?
Original post by Chihiro_
Everyone knows the kids with work experience are the ones whose rich mummy/daddy organised it through their colleagues, and unis can see through this too.

Nonsense.

Yup and most other unis give offers to 90+ percent of their applicants anyway (the ones I've looked at anyway, check which.university) so by far the most important thing is getting the actual grades that are stipulated in the offer. Only time work experience matters is healthcare or if you're applying for, say, an MBA.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending