The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Living at home

Is anyone planning on living at home this year and if so what course are you doing? For QM past students were there many people living at home and were people who lived at home still involved in societies etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Yo, fellow QM student! I'm almost done with the year, course, uni in general. But I live at home. 3 hours of my day is lost to commuting, so I couldn't really do much besides study. But I'm fine with that
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Original post by shawn_o1
Yo, fellow QM student! I'm almost done with the year, course, uni in general. But I live at home. 3 hours of my day is lost to commuting, so I couldn't really do much besides study. But I'm fine with that

Thanks for your reply! Were you able to make friends, go parties etc or did you find that you missed out a lot on this. Did you also turn up to lectures late due to transport delays etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by r-t
Thanks for your reply! Were you able to make friends, go parties etc or did you find that you missed out a lot on this. Did you also turn up to lectures late due to transport delays etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I commuted and I missed out on the uni experience.
Original post by r-t

Posted from TSR Mobile

Only turned up to one lecture late (in the last three years). I missed two others but it's OK, I caught up with the lecture notes posted online. Partying doesn't suit me whatsoever. I've only talked to fellow students when group work was involved (which was three times during my entire course)
Reply 5
Original post by SecretDuck
I commuted and I missed out on the uni experience.

Where you still able to make life long friends though?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Only turned up to one lecture late (in the last three years). I missed two others but it's OK, I caught up with the lecture notes posted online. Partying doesn't suit me whatsoever. I've only talked to fellow students when group work was involved (which was three times during my entire course)

Oh that's good, yeh I'm not a party person either which is why I'm not too fussed on the whole going out an getting drunk thing. Making friends is very important for me though because I've never been popular. I know it's an individual matter but do you think someone living at home could still make the same number of friends as those living in halls?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by r-t
Where you still able to make life long friends though?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, everyone seemed to just stay rigidly to their housemates or old school-mates. :dontknow:
Reply 8
No, everyone seemed to just stay rigidly to their housemates or old school-mates. :dontknow:

So looking back do you regret not living out. Sorry for all the questions but it's just a really difficult yet important decision to make! :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by r-t
Oh that's good, yeh I'm not a party person either which is why I'm not too fussed on the whole going out an getting drunk thing. Making friends is very important for me though because I've never been popular. I know it's an individual matter but do you think someone living at home could still make the same number of friends as those living in halls?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If they made the effort, yes. I didn't.
Reply 10
If they made the effort, yes. I didn't.

Yeh I suppose it is an individual preference. Thanks for all of your help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by r-t
So looking back do you regret not living out. Sorry for all the questions but it's just a really difficult yet important decision to make! :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

I felt like I should've gone to a different uni, outside of London.

Commuting may or may not tire you out, but in QMUL's atmosphere, you would need to live close to uni to get the best out of it. Otherwise, you may just be better off doing an Open University degree.
Reply 12
I felt like I should've gone to a different uni, outside of London.

Commuting may or may not tire you out, but in QMUL's atmosphere, you would need to live close to uni to get the best out of it. Otherwise, you may just be better off doing an Open University degree.

What do you mean by QMUL's atmosphere?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by r-t
What do you mean by QMUL's atmosphere?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The atmosphere is artificial - people usually stick to people who they know such as flatmates.

I had no problem making friends in school and work but I couldn't in QMUL.
Hello, I'll be attending QM from this september. I'll be studying English Literature and I will be commuting from Harrow in North West London. Where is everyone else commuting from?:biggrin:
Original post by Nininho20
Hello, I'll be attending QM from this september. I'll be studying English Literature and I will be commuting from Harrow in North West London. Where is everyone else commuting from?:biggrin:

I'm commuting from Surrey (but won't be next year, it's my final year this year :smile:)
Reply 16
Original post by Nininho20

I'll be attending QM this year and commuting from Northolt in west London :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
The atmosphere is artificial - people usually stick to people who they know such as flatmates.

I had no problem making friends in school and work but I couldn't in QMUL.

What course did you do? I suppose every year will have different people so hopefully I won't be stuck with artificial people this year :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by r-t
What course did you do? I suppose every year will have different people so hopefully I won't be stuck with artificial people this year :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did Economics.

I guess I was rather unlucky with the people who I ended up with.
Reply 19
I did Economics.

I guess I was rather unlucky with the people who I ended up with.

Yeh I suppose so. Thank you for all of your help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending