The Student Room Group

Charityworks scheme

Anyone else applied to this one?

charity-works.co.uk

Just smashed out 1500 words on “when have you worked in a team” and “when have you shown initiative”… :smile:

I hope I get to a stage where I can meet a human being and demonstrate some passion for the sector rather than being filtered out by a computer maths test. It actually looks a pretty decent scheme apart from the Crufts-esque hoop-jumping.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 304820
Anyone else applied to this one?

charity-works.co.uk

Just smashed out 1500 words on “when have you worked in a team” and “when have you shown initiative”… :smile:

I hope I get to a stage where I can meet a human being and demonstrate some passion for the sector rather than being filtered out by a computer maths test. It actually looks a pretty decent scheme apart from the Crufts-esque hoop-jumping.

I'm planning on applying (luckily just saw they've extended the deadline til the 21st!) but I find the psychometric tests off-putting. I don't like that you have to fill in the application form first, which obviously involves a fair amount of effort, but then you need to pass the tests before they'll even look at what you've written.

Have you done the tests yet and if so how did you find them? I actually applied for this scheme way back in 2010 and in the maths test got slightly lower than the target mark, which is now making me wary of applying this time round!
Reply 2
Original post by maneki-neko
I'm planning on applying (luckily just saw they've extended the deadline til the 21st!) but I find the psychometric tests off-putting. I don't like that you have to fill in the application form first, which obviously involves a fair amount of effort, but then you need to pass the tests before they'll even look at what you've written.

Have you done the tests yet and if so how did you find them? I actually applied for this scheme way back in 2010 and in the maths test got slightly lower than the target mark, which is now making me wary of applying this time round!

Yeah I read the extension as them saying "We don't have enough applications."

I didn't like the maths but found the verbal one ok. I believe the fact I got to sit the verbal means I got through the maths so the bar must be pretty low as I struggled with it.

I want to get to an assessment centre where I can actually tell a person about my experience in the sector. I don't like the way the scheme resembles the grand national - there are two furthur fences assuming my verbal was ok. An assessment centre and then a final interview!

Given that most applications to grad schemes demand answers to questions like "when have you worked in a team" at worst I've got a word document full of answers i can copy and paste into other applications.
(edited 9 years ago)
Haha, that's what I was thinking about the extension too ... that or everyone so far has failed the psychometric tests! :-P

Ugh I've filled in so many job apps recently that I already have that document of generic answers - unfortunately it's never quite as simple as just being able to copy and paste them from one to the next, but it does help not having to start completely from scratch each time.

Out of interest, what is it that attracts you to this scheme? Unlike a lot of grad schemes there doesn't seem to be quite so much info out there about Charity-works and I'm trying to get an idea of the sort of people who apply.

For me personally, the charity sector is something that I've always had at the back of my mind but I know it can be a struggle to get into it (as I've recently found whilst job hunting). I've done bits and pieces of voluntary work overseas, but I don't have any specific areas of interest yet (purely due to the difficulty of getting experience!). I'm a bit worried that my lack of experience in this sector in the UK will be looked upon negatively. :-/
Reply 4
Haha, that's what I was thinking about the extension too ... that or everyone so far has failed the psychometric tests! :-P

Ugh I've filled in so many job apps recently that I already have that document of generic answers - unfortunately it's never quite as simple as just being able to copy and paste them from one to the next, but it does help not having to start completely from scratch each time.

Out of interest, what is it that attracts you to this scheme? Unlike a lot of grad schemes there doesn't seem to be quite so much info out there about Charity-works and I'm trying to get an idea of the sort of people who apply.

For me personally, the charity sector is something that I've always had at the back of my mind but I know it can be a struggle to get into it (as I've recently found whilst job hunting). I've done bits and pieces of voluntary work overseas, but I don't have any specific areas of interest yet (purely due to the difficulty of getting experience!). I'm a bit worried that my lack of experience in this sector in the UK will be looked upon negatively. :-/

Apart from CRUK it is one of the few big grad schemes in the sector. Ideally I’d love to get some policy/public affairs role from it but many of the grads seem to end up in Housing Associations from what I can gather. Think I’m suited to the sector based on various voluntary work/student union stuff. I don't have all that much. I'm a bit worried there will be people who have been trustee of this and that...I've been rejected from unpaid internships in the sector (yes..really) so I realise how competitive it can be.

There seem to be quite a few assessment centre days so maybe the real filtering goes on there. I do hate these type of events as you are a) trying to show what a great future leader you are for any potential charity b) trying to be a "team player" at the same time being friendly with the people you are essentially competing against. I do find it a bit contrived and artificial.

I’m willing to work for 18k which in London is nothing purely to get a foot it. I almost feel that should be enough. I fear the problem with such a lengthy application processes is that many applicants will lose interest and find something else by the time the summer roles round.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Haha, that's what I was thinking about the extension too ... that or everyone so far has failed the psychometric tests! :-P :-/

Just had an e-mail saying that my performance in the tests wasn't good enough to be shortlisted automatically but was good enough to be on some waiting list where I might get shortlisted. :confused: A bit like being pooled by an Oxbridge college. Somehow worse than an outright rejection. I will find out in late May. All this for a job paying just over minimum wage...not that anyone goes into the charity sector for money.

I think I'll just forget about this one for now. At the moment I'm worried that the hours of filling out forms were a bit of a waste of time.
Oh no, sorry to hear that - it doesn't fill me with hope! I haven't even finished the application yet; despite working on it most of the day yesterday it's taking such a long time. Almost doesn't seem worth it if I'm going to get the same email from them (which I guarantee will be the case as I am dreadful at psychometric tests - I just freeze up and don't even get through all the questions in the time limit!). Ha I'm tempted not to bother but then again, you definitely don't get 100% of the jobs you don't apply for. Ugh!

You never know, though ... people do get upgraded so I wouldn't write it off completely. I hope you get some good news at the end of May! Fingers crossed for both of us. :smile:

And yeah it's gutting that for a job that pays pittance there are so many hoops to leap through. I suppose it is a way of weeding out those who aren't truly 'committed', but it makes the whole process unnecessarily stressful. I just wish they'd look at the answers people write on the application form over the results of the psychometric tests ... I don't think that how good you are at solving maths questions within a time limit reflects on your ability to cope as a participant in this scheme.
Reply 7
Oh no, sorry to hear that - it doesn't fill me with hope! I haven't even finished the application yet; despite working on it most of the day yesterday it's taking such a long time. Almost doesn't seem worth it if I'm going to get the same email from them (which I guarantee will be the case as I am dreadful at psychometric tests - I just freeze up and don't even get through all the questions in the time limit!). Ha I'm tempted not to bother but then again, you definitely don't get 100% of the jobs you don't apply for. Ugh!

You never know, though ... people do get upgraded so I wouldn't write it off completely. I hope you get some good news at the end of May! Fingers crossed for both of us. :smile:

And yeah it's gutting that for a job that pays pittance there are so many hoops to leap through. I suppose it is a way of weeding out those who aren't truly 'committed', but it makes the whole process unnecessarily stressful. I just wish they'd look at the answers people write on the application form over the results of the psychometric tests ... I don't think that how good you are at solving maths questions within a time limit reflects on your ability to cope as a participant in this scheme.

It is the same with most major grad schemes though. I did get an A at GCSE maths but it was so long ago and I've no great wish to revisit dusty CGP revision guides now.
Oh really? The only other grad scheme I've applied for in the past has been Teach First, which didn't require this (although you do need to do pre-teacher training maths and English tests if you're accepted). That's depressing to hear; I'm really not a fan of maths, especially under timed conditions!

Well, back to the app ... I guess I may as well finish it since I'm about 3/4 through now. Not holding out any hopes, though!
Just wondering how long it took between you submitting your application and being invited to to do the psychometric tests?

I finally submitted mine yesterday evening and I sort of assumed that I would instantly get an automated email with a link to the tests, but instead I got an email saying they're considering my application.

Does this mean not everyone necessarily even gets to do the tests? :-/

(Haha I realise I'm perhaps being paranoid but I was mentally prepared to work on them over this weekend).
Reply 10
Just wondering how long it took between you submitting your application and being invited to to do the psychometric tests?

I finally submitted mine yesterday evening and I sort of assumed that I would instantly get an automated email with a link to the tests, but instead I got an email saying they're considering my application.

Does this mean not everyone necessarily even gets to do the tests? :-/

(Haha I realise I'm perhaps being paranoid but I was mentally prepared to work on them over this weekend).

I think it was a day after submitting.
Reply 11
as I am dreadful at psychometric tests - I just freeze up and don't even get through all the questions in the time limit!

So many people say this. The trick is to not be afraid of them and practice, practice, practice. Check out some practice tests online and just study up on the patterns. Maybe look at shlpractice.com or any of the others.
Reply 12
I've applied, and it took about two days for a link to be sent to me for the numeracy test. I've just found out I've passed that now, and they've now asked me to complete the verbal reasoning test.

Hopefully you'll hear back soon!
Reply 13
Original post by H24142
I've applied, and it took about two days for a link to be sent to me for the numeracy test. I've just found out I've passed that now, and they've now asked me to complete the verbal reasoning test.

Hopefully you'll hear back soon!

Congratulations. But as I understand it you find out if you've "passed" after both. I was told my results were not good enough for automatic short listing after sitting numerical and verbal. Who knows what the sorting hat will finally decide?
Reply 14
I've had an e-mail to say I've been shortlisted. The wording of the e-mail is such that I believe all this means is that someone is going to read my application and decde whether I can attend an assessment centre. That is not yet a guarantee but I will know by the 18th May....so the shortlist is actually more of a longlist.

Of course were I or we to get to assessment centre and pass that there is then a final interview. It would be nice to know how many people make it to each stage... Anyway, Happy Hunger Games and may the odds be in our favour! :-D
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm just about to do the numerical test online! (I know I'm a very last minute person)...I have spent so long on my application, this is the only grad scheme I've found that I really want and have spent so much time I should have spent revising filling it out/practising these bloody numerical reasoning tests! I'm terrified! My results vary so much!

I really hate having to do this hurdle jumping! When they extended the application deadline I was so relieved (much as others seem to have thought - not enough applicants) but I'm so scared that my future is in the hands of maths I haven't really done for 5 years, and I have 5 exams coming up, I haven't spent that much time practising!

I don't really have a lot to contribute right now other than I just needed to get the stress out by sharing it with people, but this is a thread I'd like to be part of, and then we'll deffo all be best friends in a month or so when we're all acing assessment days :biggrin:

And congrats on moving up to the shortlist! :biggrin:

Further comment: how annoying, at least on the practice tests, that the questions don't fit on the screen with all of the tables/graphs and answers!?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by fishfan01
I'm just about to do the numerical test online! (I know I'm a very last minute person)...I have spent so long on my application, this is the only grad scheme I've found that I really want and have spent so much time I should have spent revising filling it out/practising these bloody numerical reasoning tests! I'm terrified! My results vary so much!

I really hate having to do this hurdle jumping! When they extended the application deadline I was so relieved (much as others seem to have thought - not enough applicants) but I'm so scared that my future is in the hands of maths I haven't really done for 5 years, and I have 5 exams coming up, I haven't spent that much time practising!

I don't really have a lot to contribute right now other than I just needed to get the stress out by sharing it with people, but this is a thread I'd like to be part of, and then we'll deffo all be best friends in a month or so when we're all acing assessment days :biggrin:

And congrats on moving up to the shortlist! :biggrin:

Further comment: how annoying, at least on the practice tests, that the questions don't fit on the screen with all of the tables/graphs and answers!?

Good luck! Yeah it is funny isn't it. All these hours chasing a degree and it comes down to long-forgotten GCSE maths.

In my opinion being on the shortlist doesn't mean all that much given that (a) it isn't a shortlist if hundreds of others are on it. (b) it doesn't guarantee an assessment centre place.

I'm not even sure getting to an assessment centre is that impressive either. This tweet from 2011 showed that 20 candidates attended an assessment centre (https://twitter.com/charityworksUK/status/80554748339687424) and if it is anything like that with 8 separate assessment centre days you are still taling about hundreds of candidates.

The only other interesting thing I've found is this. A 2013 assessor pack which gives examples of group exercises and the scoring system for the assessment days.

http://www.charity-works.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/CW_AC_2013_ASSESSOR_PACK_full.pdf

Raises all sorts of issues about how to challege the opinions of others while still coming across as a "team player". I wouldn't know what to do for instance if I disagreed with the direction other people were taking on an issue. Should I stand up for myself and show independence of thought or toe the line and be a "team player"? That is for another day though.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 17
The link to the 2013 assessor pack was helpful to look at, thanks!

I've just completed the verbal reasoning test just now, and received an email saying I've passed the test and have been shortlisted. The email stated I would hear back in May if I am invited to an assessment day...such a long process!

Original post by 304820
X

I spoke to one of their trainees at a careers fair at my university and I think that it is true a lot of people get through to the assessment centres - she gave me statistics along the lines of last year 4000 people applied, and there were 100 spaces. But the scheme only started in about 2009(?) and she said it will definitely be expanding again this year - she reckoned about 150 places...so I think places are in high demand, but I think the fact that they will bring you to an assessment day, then it's nice that they're considering you properly!

That assessment day pack is an amazing resource, thanks for sharing! I mean I feel like it may be hard to achieve, as you say, but I think presenting ideas as 'alternatives' and not just 'duh your idea's stupid, let's do mine' is mostly what I'm hoping they're looking for? But to be able to see what they're looking for in responses is great!

I did my maths yesterday and got an email a couple of hours later inviting me to do the verbal reasoning which, if I'm reading their website properly, means that I did well enough for them so yay! :biggrin:
Reply 19
Original post by fishfan01
I spoke to one of their trainees at a careers fair at my university and I think that it is true a lot of people get through to the assessment centres - she gave me statistics along the lines of last year 4000 people applied, and there were 100 spaces. But the scheme only started in about 2009(?) and she said it will definitely be expanding again this year - she reckoned about 150 places...so I think places are in high demand, but I think the fact that they will bring you to an assessment day, then it's nice that they're considering you properly!

That assessment day pack is an amazing resource, thanks for sharing! I mean I feel like it may be hard to achieve, as you say, but I think presenting ideas as 'alternatives' and not just 'duh your idea's stupid, let's do mine' is mostly what I'm hoping they're looking for? But to be able to see what they're looking for in responses is great!

I did my maths yesterday and got an email a couple of hours later inviting me to do the verbal reasoning which, if I'm reading their website properly, means that I did well enough for them so yay! :biggrin:

That is interesting. Of course the scheme is a sector wide grad scheme so 150 isn't that ridiculous. Suppose it will all go a bit quiet now if applications are being read.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending