The Student Room Group

Mature at College

Hey,

I'm thinking about applying to the college in the next town to me *not the one i went to back in the day* to do some fast track A levels. Would two be the most because it's the same as 4AS's in one day.... but hard me thinks. I think this time that i'd do better as i'd know not to be a lazy idiot but the only thing is, i'd be 21 so yeah a little outta place lol. I need better A level grades if i want to go to decent uni so hey it'd only be one year of my life.

Any advice?

Matt
There are a few 20-21-yr-olds in my classes at college and, to be honest, no one really notices. There was one woman who was about 60, too, and even she wasn't THAT out of place. I wouldn't worry about that.

My mum did two A Levels in a year, found it hard work ... but did it. It is only a year, after all.
I don't think anyone would really care in a college because they're designed for all ages. It's not like a school sixth form or sixth form college where pretty much everyone is 16-18. 2 A-levels in a year should be fine if you enjoy the subjects and put the work in.
You'll be fine, college's have a range of people at different ages, so you wouldn't feel out of place. If you're going to university you'll be classified as a "mature" student so having a set number of A-levels wouldnt matter as much.
Reply 4
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
I'm looking to return to college to do 3 A-levels and 1 As and I'm 25 now!
I'm more worried about not being allowed a place because its been 10 years since I did my GCSEs, than I am about being the oldest person there :redface:
Reply 7
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
matt4504
Hey,

I'm thinking about applying to the college in the next town to me *not the one i went to back in the day* to do some fast track A levels. Would two be the most because it's the same as 4AS's in one day.... but hard me thinks. I think this time that i'd do better as i'd know not to be a lazy idiot but the only thing is, i'd be 21 so yeah a little outta place lol. I need better A level grades if i want to go to decent uni so hey it'd only be one year of my life.

Any advice?

Matt

Consider a kite-marked Access Course. You can do them from as young as 19 at some places, and it's what I'm doing at the moment to get into uni as I didn't take a-levels. It's not a recognised qualification, so it's only of any use if you definately want to go to uni.

it takes a while to search for the course you want (the ucas course search is not good and doesn't cover every course in it's database) I found mine by searching for days on the internet.

There's a mixture of students on my course from my age (21) to 40 -odd but we're all hyperactive and have lots of fun! no bitchiness like you get at colleges either!

Latest

Trending

Trending