The Student Room Group

Which book should i read for my exam?

Hey so I'm doing A Level AQA LIT A Love through the ages. I'm aiming to have a wide range of texts to bring in for the wider reading links that we will have to make.

I have read:
Prose: Northanger Abbey
Persuasion
Pride and Prejudice
The Collector
On Chesil Beach
The Fifth Child
Sons and Lovers
The Handmaid's Tale

Drama: The Taming of The Shrew
A Doll's House
A View From The Bridge
A Streetcar Named Desire
A Taste of Honey
Betrayal
Romeo and Juliet
King Lear
The Importance of Being Earnest

And a selection of poems.

I only have time to properly read and learn one more prose text before the exam and i don't know between:

The Age of Innocence
The Scarlett Letter

Which shall i pick and why. I want it to contain different themes to the above read texts.. and i want it to be the one most easy to 'analyse' ......

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Hollywooddreamer
Hey so I'm doing A Level AQA LIT A Love through the ages. I'm aiming to have a wide range of texts to bring in for the wider reading links that we will have to make.

I have read:
Prose: Northanger Abbey
Persuasion
Pride and Prejudice
The Collector
On Chesil Beach
The Fifth Child
Sons and Lovers
The Handmaid's Tale

Drama: The Taming of The Shrew
A Doll's House
A View From The Bridge
A Streetcar Named Desire
A Taste of Honey
Betrayal
Romeo and Juliet
King Lear
The Importance of Being Earnest

And a selection of poems.

I only have time to properly read and learn one more prose text before the exam and i don't know between:

The Age of Innocence
The Scarlett Letter

Which shall i pick and why. I want it to contain different themes to the above read texts.. and i want it to be the one most easy to 'analyse' ......

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't need that many. You need at least about 3 prose and 3 dramas. And about 2 poems. It's about depth, not breadth.

Pride and Prejudice as that can be applied to almost all of their questions. Go for something more modern like Chisel Beach or Handmaid's Tale. Those one will be good for a modernist approach to how love i perceived. I haven't either text but they deal will love in good ways.

However I have read A Doll's House, Romeo and Juliet, King Lear and A Streetcar. I really loved Streetcar and I think that one and Lear would be good at looking at sisterly love or familial love. A Doll's House is good as it looks at the breakdown of marriage so you can use that as an opposite to love as in - you can use that text for contrast with what love isn't like.

Stick with all the texts you've got and don't read anymore. You won't use half those texts let alone, half the quotes you'll think you'll need!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending