The Student Room Group

Too many: "it's like", "urm", "you know" and "I mean" when speaking - annoying?

I watched this one particular interview where the interviewee was saying too many "it's like", "urm", "you know" and "I mean", and the actual answer to the question was quite straightforward; would this annoy you or is it OK to have loads of them if one fumbles whilst trying to say something?

Scroll to see replies

Nerves. nuff said.

I doubt (s)he speaks like that to his or her friends
Original post by kka25
I watched this one particular interview where the interviewee was saying too many "it's like", "urm", "you know" and "I mean", and the actual answer to the question was quite straightforward; would this annoy you or is it OK to have loads of them if one fumbles whilst trying to say something?

If they fumbled, who recovered the ball?
Reply 3
Original post by Yeah dude

Well you know, it's like, urm ...I mean.
Original post by kka25
Well you know, it's like, urm ...I mean.

Why don't you listen to the whole sentence instead of latching onto every word
Reply 5
Why don't you listen to the whole sentence instead of latching onto every word

Well, you know, urm, the interviewee tend to use, you know, this thing, urm, well, it's like, I mean, you know?
Original post by kka25
Well, you know, urm, the interviewee tend to use, you know, this thing, urm, well, it's like, I mean, you know?

I mean I sometimes use 'I mean' at the start of a sentence, it's a solid combo I guess :cool:
Reply 7
You chat ****
Reply 8
I mean I sometimes use 'I mean' at the start of a sentence, it's a solid combo I guess :cool:

Yeah, me too but I do wonder if it's problematic if it's used too much (orally) hence the thread.
I find it annoying
Original post by Ebony19
You chat ****

Is this a mad message or a relaxed friendly one? I'm on the innernet so I cannot hear that tone
Original post by kka25
Yeah, me too but I do wonder if it's problematic if it's used too much (orally) hence the thread.

If you say ummmmm every word then Sure it's problematic I guess, I usually drag the words when I'm thinking about what to say next just to buy some precious time :cool:
Some people talk like that under pressure. I can understand how nervous one can get in interview situations so it's not that annoying to me.
Reply 13
I started watching a lecture on Rhetoric online. The esteemed professor started by reading of his notes and using a filler.

I turned it off.
Reply 14
Original post by whorace
I started watching a lecture on Rhetoric online. The esteemed professor started by reading of his notes and using a filler.

I turned it off.

What was the filler?
Is this a mad message or a relaxed friendly one? I'm on the innernet so I cannot hear that tone
Just a sort of ruffle your feathers one because you do come out with some riddly stuff sometimes...
Reply 16
Original post by kka25
What was the filler?

about three urms....
Reply 17
Original post by whorace
about three urms....

It's probably the title of his lecture.
Reply 18
Original post by kka25
It's probably the title of his lecture.

http://www.torch.ox.ac.uk/consign-it-flames-argument-authority-modern-rhetoric

3:20 he starts lol

5:08 made me laugh
(edited 9 years ago)
I actually like it. It shoes they're putting thought into their answer. Like they're genuinely thinking about what to say.

When people answer without a single hesitation, it feels scripted. Less authentic. Cocky, almost. I guess the hesitation makes them seem human.

Quick Reply

Latest