The Student Room Group

England 2022 World Cup Starting XI

Hey everyone,

There was recently an item on BBC Sport where a pundit suggested what he thought would be the starting XI for England at the 2022 World Cup. Despite it being a poor few years we seem to have some promising youngsters coming through now and Greg Dyke (FA Chairman) set the target of winning the 2022 World Cup.

Obviously there will be some players who are just 14/15 now who will rise up in the next few years to become the next promising star of the England team but based on the young talent around now, what do you think the starting XI will be come Winter 2022?

Here is mine:

GK - Jack Butland

RB - Kyle Walker
CB - John Stones
CB - Eric Dier
LB - Luke Garbutt

CDM - Jordan Henderson
CAM - Ross Barkley
RM - Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
LM - Raheem Sterling

ST - Harry Kane
ST - Danny Ings

That's off the top of my head, I'm sure there are players that I will have missed out but I look forward to hearing your squads and having a healthy debate.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Lol @ Ings.

Lol @ Walker.
Original post by Mackay
Lol @ Ings.

Lol @ Walker.

As nice as it is of you to reply, I was actually hoping to have a conversation/debate about selections. But each to their own.
Reply 3
Original post by ImpossibleMan
As nice as it is of you to reply, I was actually hoping to have a conversation/debate about selections. But each to their own.

Well, Walker's nowhere near the standard of an England international footballer right now. Bertrand and Clyne are both infinitely better. I'd rather Chambers, too.

Ings... where to start? He's got a failed move to Liverpool, before a loan out to Sunderland, then dotting around various Northern journeyman clubs career trajectory written all over him.
Original post by Mackay
Well, Walker's nowhere near the standard of an England international footballer right now. Bertrand and Clyne are both infinitely better. I'd rather Chambers, too.

Ings... where to start? He's got a failed move to Liverpool, before a loan out to Sunderland, then dotting around various Northern journeyman clubs career trajectory written all over him.

See, was that so hard?

Fair point about Kyle Walker - I had forgotten about Bertrand to be honest but can he play right back? He's better at left back but I get the impression that Garbutt is going to be a pretty solid player once Leighton Baines steps aside at Everton. Don't really rate Chambers yet, either.

As for Ings, I'm a big fan of his. I guess the fate of his career rests on where he goes this summer - whether that be abroad or to Liverpool. I'd be disappointed if he just disappears into obscurity though. People discount him because he plays for Burnley but he works tirelessly and can score goals. He needs the chances that he will get at a more creative club.
Reply 5
Hart will still be there. Ibe should be in the discussion if Rodgers doesn't ruin him, Shaw will be there. Chambers could be there.Berahino and Ward-Prowse have futures.
There is no way to say. There was an article from about 2002 on the possible team to start in 2010 in South Africa and it's laughable.

I would expect Sterling to be around as well as Barkley, not sure on the rest.
Original post by samba
Hart will still be there. Ibe should be in the discussion if Rodgers doesn't ruin him, Shaw will be there. Chambers could be there.Berahino and Ward-Prowse have futures.

If it was down to me - and I know this is controversial - Hart wouldn't even be starting Euro 2016. He's the second best keeper we have behind a fully fit Fraser Forster for me.
Reply 8
Hey everyone,

There was recently an item on BBC Sport where a pundit suggested what he thought would be the starting XI for England at the 2022 World Cup. Despite it being a poor few years we seem to have some promising youngsters coming through now and Greg Dyke (FA Chairman) set the target of winning the 2022 World Cup.

Obviously there will be some players who are just 14/15 now who will rise up in the next few years to become the next promising star of the England team but based on the young talent around now, what do you think the starting XI will be come Winter 2022?

Here is mine:

GK - Jack Butland

RB - Kyle Walker
CB - John Stones
CB - Eric Dier
LB - Luke Garbutt

CDM - Jordan Henderson
CAM - Ross Barkley
RM - Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
LM - Raheem Sterling

ST - Harry Kane
ST - Danny Ings

That's off the top of my head, I'm sure there are players that I will have missed out but I look forward to hearing your squads and having a healthy debate.

Garbutt: Has he shown anything to suggest he'll be better than Shaw, who's 2 years younger with about 20 times as many Premier League games played?
Dier: People basically went mad over his first few games then he's been nothing special since, and he's been mostly on the right. Smalling is a better option based on current young CBs.
Clyne is better than Walker and the same age.

Midfield: Wilshere is more talented than Henderson or Barkley, and he'll be right at his peak (age 30) so if he can avoid constant injuries he should be in there, probably at the expense of a striker since you need 3 in the middle really.
Can't really argue with the wings or Kane up front based on current players, but of course so much can change before then. Kids as young as 11 currently could play in this World Cup.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Wilfred Little
There is no way to say. There was an article from about 2002 on the possible team to start in 2010 in South Africa and it's laughable.

I would expect Sterling to be around as well as Barkley, not sure on the rest.

This. Predicting squads so far in the future is a total waste of time.
Reply 10
Hart
Flanagan-Stones-Smalling-shaw
will Hughes-jack cork
Ibe--Ward-prowse--sterling
Kane

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by difeo
Garbutt: Has he shown anything to suggest he'll be better than Shaw, who's 2 years younger with about 20 times as many Premier League games played?
Dier: People basically went mad over his first few games then he's been nothing special since, and he's been mostly on the right. Smalling is a better option based on current young CBs.
Clyne is better than Walker and the same age.

Midfield: Wilshere is more talented than Henderson or Barkley, and he'll be right at his peak (age 30) so if he can avoid constant injuries he should be in there, probably at the expense of a striker since you need 3 in the middle really.
Can't really argue with the wings or Kane up front based on current players, but of course so much can change before then. Kids as young as 11 currently could play in this World Cup.

With Luke Shaw it all rests on next season really. Had a great time at Southampton but shown very little at Manchester United, especially not great as he was signed before Van Gaal even took charge.

As for Jack Wilshere I think people go mad over him in the same way in which you reference Dier. People still go on about his touch and technique but I'm just not that impressed by him - and if he continues being so injury prone I doubt he will get any better than he is at the minute.
Dead certs for the first team; Raheem Sterling
Dead certs for the squad; Hart, Wilshere, Ox, Kane, Shaw, Clyne, Chambers, Ibe, Henderson
Original post by Pimped Butterfly
Dead certs for the first team; Raheem Sterling
Dead certs for the squad; Hart, Wilshere, Ox, Kane, Shaw, Clyne, Chambers, Ibe, Henderson

I keep on forgetting about Ibe. Hoping he turns out to be as good as everyone says.
Reply 14
With Luke Shaw it all rests on next season really. Had a great time at Southampton but shown very little at Manchester United, especially not great as he was signed before Van Gaal even took charge.

As for Jack Wilshere I think people go mad over him in the same way in which you reference Dier. People still go on about his touch and technique but I'm just not that impressed by him - and if he continues being so injury prone I doubt he will get any better than he is at the minute.

He hasn't been great at United but people forget how young he is - he's shown more than Ashley Cole, Baines, Lahm, Roberto Carlos, pretty much any full back had when they were his age. So even if he's not amazing next season either I don't think that's a reason to put him below Garbutt, given Garbutt at 20 was playing for Colchester United. Shaw's had the odd performance here and there for United that show how good he will be.

He showed it for a lot longer than Dier though, a whole season rather than 4 games. He should be our best midfielder for years but it's true that injuries have slowed him down and he might never reach his potential.
(edited 9 years ago)
Won't Hart be like 37/38? Would be very very surprised if he was still playing. Loftus Cheek if he can get his way into the Chelsea team consistently. Wilshere, Henderson would still be around. Interesting to see if Hodgson still wouldn't rate the best LB in the league (Bertrand)
Reply 16
Original post by The Shed End
Won't Hart be like 37/38? Would be very very surprised if he was still playing. Loftus Cheek if he can get his way into the Chelsea team consistently. Wilshere, Henderson would still be around. Interesting to see if Hodgson still wouldn't rate the best LB in the league (Bertrand)

He'll be 35, so he might have gone downhill enough for Butland to be number 1 but I imagine he'll be around the squad and could still be first choice. Buffon is 37, Seaman was first choice until 38, Van Der Sar until 40 etc.
Original post by The Shed End
Loftus Cheek if he can get his way into the Chelsea team consistently.

Made me lol
Reply 18

As for Ings, I'm a big fan of his. I guess the fate of his career rests on where he goes this summer - whether that be abroad or to Liverpool. I'd be disappointed if he just disappears into obscurity though. People discount him because he plays for Burnley but he works tirelessly and can score goals. He needs the chances that he will get at a more creative club.

The same Ings who hasn't scored in ten matches?
Original post by difeo
He'll be 35, so he might have gone downhill enough for Butland to be number 1 but I imagine he'll be around the squad and could still be first choice. Buffon is 37, Seaman was first choice until 38, Van Der Sar until 40 etc.

I think this depends on how good Butland ends up being. His development does seem to have faltered a little bit. With Buffon and Van Der Sar especially you're talking about world class goalkeepers who were at the top of the game for years!

Quick Reply

Latest