The Student Room Group

British Gas - Trainee smart meter expert

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1420
Original post by 1lewish
Im from salford mate so around that area what area did you apply for?

Oh alright how fars the academy from hom then ? And i applied for the east london area
Reply 1421
Hi guys got a call today offereing me a position in leeds ... start on the 14 of november
Original post by RDB96
Hi guys got a call today offereing me a position in leeds ... start on the 14 of november

Thats brilliant. Well done.
For people that have recently (past 6 months or so) taken the job offer, do you have permanent contracts or are the contracts they give you fixed term contracts? Is anybody disliking the job role? If so why? Thanks in advance.
Original post by Tony7
It's what happens when you go out on your own after 19 weeks, you have a mentor shadow you for a few weeks an gradually gets less over the weeks until they are satisfied you can do it all on your own,
Your goin to love this job but just put the effort in and the rewards are endless, I'm on week 7 an just startin gas on Monday, the support you get is brilliant, just show willing

Shut up Tony 😂😂 see you next week x
Reply 1425
I'm looking forward to starting in November but I'm having some reservations about the long term prospects of the job i.e. What will happen once the target is reached? I understand that the smart meters have a limited life span, need replaced & maintained but at the rate they are recruiting there's bound to be an excess of SMEE's at some stage?

Also, had a dig about on some of the recruitment sites online and see people mentioning a lack of opportunities once trained/qualfied, that you can't move to other areas of the business to train in other jobs such as heating/boiler engineer or similar.

Does anyone currently doing the job have any information on the things I have mentioned?

Cheers.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1426
Just quick question guys , do bg get references before offering you the contract
Reply 1427
Original post by Sp33dy8
For people that have recently (past 6 months or so) taken the job offer, do you have permanent contracts or are the contracts they give you fixed term contracts? Is anybody disliking the job role? If so why? Thanks in advance.

I asked the HR department this morning and the contracts are permanent.
Reply 1428
And what happens if you get a bad refference
Cheers Bri, i asked the other day too and they said the same which is all good. Wouldn't mind somebody who has been doing the job in the field for a while getting in touch and telling us how it is and whether it is worth doing? More worried as to whether people are getting job satisfaction or if it is not how you expect??
Has anyone who has just been offered the position heard anymore from british gas since phone call ?
Just got a cal yesterday offering me a postion
after waiting on the reserve for a month, starting on the 21st at thatcham. Just waiting for my contract to come through
Got a phonecall last week offering me the position for leeds 14th November iv sent my proof of address over but not heard anything else myself either yet, should imagine we'll hear something else soon though.
Original post by 1lewish
Got a phonecall last week offering me the position for leeds 14th November iv sent my proof of address over but not heard anything else myself either yet, should imagine we'll hear something else soon though.

Thats good to know. I have done the same sent my proof of address. I just worried myself a bit as i have already handed in resignation at work.
Reply 1434
Hey,*

I applied for trainee smart metering expert on 27/09 and heard back the next day to book a telephone interview which was on 04/10 and they let me know strait away that I was successful and just needed to wait for a date for an assessment centre. I got a call yesterday (05/10) and they asked if I could attend an assessment centre next week on 11/10 in Leeds. I had previously explained to the lady on the phone who conducted my telephone interview that I was away 11/10-18/10 so she is trying to book me into the one on the 19/10. It all happened so quick, within literally a week!!!

Just wanted some hints and tips for the assessment centre if anyone has any? Rather worried about the practical assessment as I've had no experience in this before other than making basic circuits in GCSE physics! And also the interview. So any help/ advice would be grateful

TIA and good luck to everyone currently going through the process*
Original post by LuciCL
Hey,*

I applied for trainee smart metering expert on 27/09 and heard back the next day to book a telephone interview which was on 04/10 and they let me know strait away that I was successful and just needed to wait for a date for an assessment centre. I got a call yesterday (05/10) and they asked if I could attend an assessment centre next week on 11/10 in Leeds. I had previously explained to the lady on the phone who conducted my telephone interview that I was away 11/10-18/10 so she is trying to book me into the one on the 19/10. It all happened so quick, within literally a week!!!

Just wanted some hints and tips for the assessment centre if anyone has any? Rather worried about the practical assessment as I've had no experience in this before other than making basic circuits in GCSE physics! And also the interview. So any help/ advice would be grateful

If you read through all the pages here, there is all the info you need for assessment day.
The practical side, make sure you put on safety equipment and turn the switch off. It is just doing simple wiring just make sure to read instructions carefully. You have plenty of time.
The interview: the lady that interviewed me was lovely which made me relax as i was a bit nervous going in. I found it easier than the phone interview. Hope that helps.
Reply 1436
Original post by LuciCL
Hey,*

Follow the advice Charlie has given and you will be fine.

Turning the power off and using the safety equipment is very important for the practical, don't forget this!

The interview is straightforward and the questions are sort of based on the personality questionnaire you'll have done in the online application. I was asked about working under pressure and attention to detail but you may get different questions.

Good luck & remember to relax on the day.
Reply 1437
Anyone heard back from bg since they called for an offer ?
Original post by RDB96
Anyone heard back from bg since they called for an offer ?

I got a phone call on Thursday, there was a problem with the proof of address i sent. So dont know if that was them just looking at it a week later after sending it. Other than that I have not heard anything .
Anyone starting at thatcham on the 21st?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending