The Student Room Group

I can't talk to people

I'm shy and socially awkward to the extent that I only have one proper friend in this city, who I barely see cos I'm not a priority for him I guess. Usually when I go to events I don't have proper conversations with anyone. I hate myself and I feel like everyone thinks I'm too ugly and uninteresting to bother with. If I manage to articulate my problem to a doctor or something like that sometimes they'll be like 'well you can talk to me fine', and it makes me feel like my problem is made up. I know I'm socially inept, it's not low self esteem that makes me think that. My best friend is even worse than me, but he actually got a diagnosis when he went to the Dr (social anxiety). The Dr didn't diagnose me with anything but she doesn't think the stuff in the IAPT booklet is appropriate for me either - she thinks I would benefit more from more specialized help, which IDK if I will ever get, and TBH it's really depressing. I haven't gone to uni yet and I'm scared I'll have no friends there (my best friend has none at his and he's in his second year). I'm scared I'm going to die alone. I have a FwB and it's unfulfilling but I don't think I'll ever get a relationship because I'm ugly and depressing and my standards are too high
me too :frown:
I just want you to know that it's ok to feel like this, more people than you realise do.
Original post by Anonymous
I hate myself and I feel like everyone thinks I'm too ugly and uninteresting to bother with.

Don't you dare. I felt this way to the point of physical harm before realising that it's unfair. You don't get to decide what people think of you, you can only influence it. If you go to someone with the mindset that you're not worth talking to, it'll seriously effect the way you conduct yourself. Your shooting yourself in the foot and then complaining your foot hurts. Please, stop.

I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to copy-paste a response I made to a similar thread a while back rather than re-write the whole anecdote. For context, I went through school as teh weird kid. The shy kid. The one who eats lunch alone because he doesn't feel his company is worth the time.

My story
When I started Uni, I knew no one. Whatsoever. Nobody. So i used this chance to completely re-invent myself. I made it my mission to talk and talk and talk. My words would come out wrong, and like a kid with ADHD I'd be on such a roll that I'd be the first to laugh about it. Hell, I'd laugh before I even finish my sentence, and go off topic with how silly what i just said was! I'd talk utter nonsense. Sometimes I'd say something completely absurd, and when people said "Omg, really!?" I'd just say "Nah, I'm lying" and start laughing again.

They came to know me as great fun and very interesting to be around. I'm sure many people probably hated how much BS I talked, but once again i beat them to it and joked about myself talking shi- all the time. When people commented on how much I talk and fall off topic, again, I'd laugh about it and say "You're completely right ahahah", and just say I can't stand silence. This is a lie, I treasure silence like a love child but I just wanted to be an outgoing person, regardless of who it annoyed. On this note, again, I'd pre-empt the idea of me annoying people by calling myself names and being very real about it all, again, laughing about it with the mentality and phrase "Well, ball to them!" being my motto.

I found that smiles and laughter are key. They're infectious. While school kids may look at you like you're weird, screw them! If they think that the school hierarchy of "Cool vs not cool" is in anyway applicable, that's just another thing you can laugh at. Besides, it's infectious like I say. If you're smiling while making your point and maybe even throwing some bad jokes in with it, people will enjoy listening to you regardless of what you say. Even if yo0u say something and it's wrong, just say "Oh, ahahaha, woops" and pull a little smile.

A guy who helped me form this mentality in the first place in on youtube. Yourcharismacoach. Now, most of what he says is cheesy and seems absurd, but his base premise is undeniable. You have to believe in yourself and put yourself out there. You have to focus on your own enjoyment and that enjoyment will then spread to those around you like a happy plague.

Hope this helps in some way.:bl:
Reply 3
Original post by Skyy9432
I just want you to know that it's ok to feel like this, more people than you realise do.

Don't you dare. I felt this way to the point of physical harm before realising that it's unfair. You don't get to decide what people think of you, you can only influence it. If you go to someone with the mindset that you're not worth talking to, it'll seriously effect the way you conduct yourself. Your shooting yourself in the foot and then complaining your foot hurts. Please, stop.

I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to copy-paste a response I made to a similar thread a while back rather than re-write the whole anecdote. For context, I went through school as teh weird kid. The shy kid. The one who eats lunch alone because he doesn't feel his company is worth the time.

My story
When I started Uni, I knew no one. Whatsoever. Nobody. So i used this chance to completely re-invent myself. I made it my mission to talk and talk and talk. My words would come out wrong, and like a kid with ADHD I'd be on such a roll that I'd be the first to laugh about it. Hell, I'd laugh before I even finish my sentence, and go off topic with how silly what i just said was! I'd talk utter nonsense. Sometimes I'd say something completely absurd, and when people said "Omg, really!?" I'd just say "Nah, I'm lying" and start laughing again.

They came to know me as great fun and very interesting to be around. I'm sure many people probably hated how much BS I talked, but once again i beat them to it and joked about myself talking shi- all the time. When people commented on how much I talk and fall off topic, again, I'd laugh about it and say "You're completely right ahahah", and just say I can't stand silence. This is a lie, I treasure silence like a love child but I just wanted to be an outgoing person, regardless of who it annoyed. On this note, again, I'd pre-empt the idea of me annoying people by calling myself names and being very real about it all, again, laughing about it with the mentality and phrase "Well, ball to them!" being my motto.

I found that smiles and laughter are key. They're infectious. While school kids may look at you like you're weird, screw them! If they think that the school hierarchy of "Cool vs not cool" is in anyway applicable, that's just another thing you can laugh at. Besides, it's infectious like I say. If you're smiling while making your point and maybe even throwing some bad jokes in with it, people will enjoy listening to you regardless of what you say. Even if yo0u say something and it's wrong, just say "Oh, ahahaha, woops" and pull a little smile.

A guy who helped me form this mentality in the first place in on youtube. Yourcharismacoach. Now, most of what he says is cheesy and seems absurd, but his base premise is undeniable. You have to believe in yourself and put yourself out there. You have to focus on your own enjoyment and that enjoyment will then spread to those around you like a happy plague.

Hope this helps in some way.:bl:

You're right that I'm shooting myself in the foot. I'm so scared of rejection that I don't talk. It might sound silly but I find the basics like smiling at people difficult. :frown: If I'm quiet and don't act happy or confident then no one can push me into my shell by letting me know they think I shouldn't express my opinions and shouldn't be confident. Thing is it also means I'm a target for nasty people, so I still get hurt
Reply 4
Come here. Let me hug you.
Original post by Anonymous
You're right that I'm shooting myself in the foot. I'm so scared of rejection that I don't talk. It might sound silly but I find the basics like smiling at people difficult. :frown: If I'm quiet and don't act happy or confident then no one can push me into my shell by letting me know they think I shouldn't express my opinions and shouldn't be confident. Thing is it also means I'm a target for nasty people, so I still get hurt

It's not silly at all, it's natural. Why are you caring about what they think of you? I have no doubt that when I became the outgoing guy in my story I pissed off a tremendous amount of people with my personality, but I became so much happier. That's what made it all worth it. If someone says you shouldn't be confident, laugh at them for it. If someone says you shouldn't express your opinion, laugh at them for it. laugh laugh laugh. Find fun in everything and your enjoyment will fill others with a new perspective of who you are. They won't see the guy that doesn't want to be stood next to them, they'll see a guy so happy with himself that they'll envy you. You're going to get hurt in life no matter what. Shy or confident, people will hurt you. You can't winge a wound back together, you have to mend it yourself.

Thing is, if you don't act happy or confident then no one will WANT to push you back to your shell. No one will want to be around you. Your presence will insult them because you show that you don't find their company worth engaging with. That's why people will act in a way that doesn't want to include you. Because you're bringing them down.

How far from Uni are you? This will be a chance to just re-invent yourself. Uni students are much more mature and accepting of each other, and they won't know the old shy you because they'll never have met them.
It's social anxiety cbt is the treatment for it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ye, it sucks being boring, cos your boring no-one wants to do things with you and because you don't do stuff your boring. Its a terrible circle of loneliness. But to be honest you don't sound boring, just anxious
At least you have one friend, i've never had any :frown:

Your doing ok in the grand scheme of things :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending