The Student Room Group

Why are men expected to do the chatting up but not women?

I've seen plenty of women being chatted up in clubs and bars, moaning that the perfect man never approaches them they never try chat up men, classic response its the mans job to do the chasing.

But seeing the attitudes some women have making them so unapproachable its not surprising the nice men go nowhere near them.

It has happened me but not often of women offering to buy men drinks they just met, when i'm talking its like they expect me to ask her but hey what ever happened to equality? I think its a good way way for women to talk to men, its the whole gender roles thing I don't like.

Just wondering why don't women do as much?

Scroll to see replies

Gender roles and societal expectations. We're all guilty of this is some way or another.
I personally try my best not to conform to this nonsense, as such all relationships I have been in I was the one to approach.
I think that's changing now. It seems ridiculous in the past how if a woman really liked a guy she would have to just wait and wait, many cases in vain, for him to approach her. There really is no shame in being chatted up, asked out and proposed to by a girl.
I think humanity might just be struggling to shake the old caveman ways of men being the hunters and woman just sorta... chillin in the cave or something.

There's nothing wrong with women chatting up men, really. Humans are weird.
I guess it's just the norm but I think it's probably becoming more common now with feminism and all. Me personally I've only approached a guy once because I'm a scaredy cat

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Retired_Messiah
I think humanity might just be struggling to shake the old caveman ways of men being the hunters and woman just sorta... chillin in the cave or something.

There's nothing wrong with women chatting up men, really. Humans are weird.

No truer words have been spoken.
I must admit I hate this myself, coming from a girl who also hates approaching guys (because I just happen to be too feckin shy).
I just don't want to give the image of a lonely human soul desperate for some affection, not like it would be the case >_>.

I think the most convenient way for both sides is to just talk until they unexpectedly propose to see themselves again.
It's just social culture. It's what you grow up with. Nobody is stopping anybody from breaking the "norms." But seeing the attitudes some women have making them so unapproachable < maybe they genuinely do not want to be approached? Not everybody in clubs and bars is looking for that. I dunno, sometimes I just think this whole attitude is formed because of people's experiences, ahem lonely demon, and not because they genuinely want "equality" :smile: xx
Reply 8
Original post by LonelyDemon
I've seen plenty of women being chatted up in clubs and bars, moaning that the perfect man never approaches them they never try chat up men, classic response its the mans job to do the chasing.

But seeing the attitudes some women have making them so unapproachable its not surprising the nice men go nowhere near them.

It has happened me but not often of women offering to buy men drinks they just met, when i'm talking its like they expect me to ask her but hey what ever happened to equality? I think its a good way way for women to talk to men, its the whole gender roles thing I don't like.

Just wondering why don't women do as much?

It is English for us men to be men and chase women
the number of women plucking up the courage to chat up men is increasing lmao
Original post by UKIProud
It is English for us men to be men and chase women

Doesn't necessarily make it good or right though.

One might say it's muslim to behead people, that doesn't make beheading people the best course of action for muslims to take.
I've been chatted up many times. Happens most nights when I'm in the uni's nightclub. I'm very approachable lol. Even security like me.

But I do zero approaching when it comes to girls I don't know. So the only way any of em are gonna end up befriending me is if they come up to me lol. I'm too busy having fun to go out of my way to chat up strangers.
(edited 8 years ago)
Gott
Rammstein make a brilliant song about this very topic, Du Riechst so gut

Rammstein is great!

Doesn't necessarily make it good or right though.

One might say it's muslim to behead people, that doesn't make beheading people the best course of action for muslims to take.

English take pride in being English and are strong nationalists, therefore it is good

English take pride in being English and are strong nationalists, therefore it is good

Oh dear.
Oh dear.

Oh dear see my sig
dem silly gender rolez innit herp derp
Rammstein is great!

This reply fails to make any sense you know. How is it good because you take pride in being English?
Original post by osasman
This reply fails to make any sense you know. How is it good because you take pride in being English?

Being English is good see my sig
Original post by Gott
There is a difference between a social custom and murder.

What if murder was part of a social custom?
We do it because we like a good chat :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest