The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Gay (night)life in Durham

I recently got an offer for Law at St. Cuths, and I'm really unsure about the whole thing. Honestly speaking, Durham was only really an add-on on my UCAS. It's the only Northern Uni I've applied to, and very very far away. I can't seem to shake the image of a tiny two-sheep cold little village out my head (sorry!). So any Durhamers that are out there, especially gay Durhamers, be brutally honest: is it alright?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
not really gay, but I know plenty of gay people here and whilst its not a scratch on london, I'm sure you'd find somewhere, plus newcastle is only twenty minutes away and you'd find plenty there.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
I think the LGBTa is one of the uni's biggest societies, and they have a week in term time where they put on events to raise awareness etc.
Reply 3
6+6=6
not really gay, but I know plenty of gay people here and whilst its not a scratch on london, I'm sure you'd find somewhere, plus newcastle is only twenty minutes away and you'd find plenty there.

Not really? :hmmm:
:p:
Reply 4
I'm straight but I would like to know whether racim is high at Durham (and the areas around the Uni) - I am Turkish/Kurdish and although I don't look it much, I would just like some idea of how friendly/accepting the people are around there. Anyone have an idea?
Reply 5
Bertan
I'm straight but I would like to know whether racim is high at Durham (and the areas around the Uni) - I am Turkish/Kurdish and although I don't look it much, I would just like some idea of how friendly/accepting the people are around there. Anyone have an idea?

It's completely fine as far as I'm aware. I'm white, but I have never heard of any racism in Durham whatsoever, students or locals. :smile:
I have, from young local lads in the street, but that's been twice in 3 years (and once was in Newcastle after midnight in a bus depot, so you don't exactly expect the most pleasant elements of society to be kicking around there).
Reply 7
I always assumed mattmoy was white... :confused:
I am; I was with an asian friend who I hang around with a fair bit.
Reply 9
Village? Durham is a city. A small one, sure, but still a city. I haven't seen a sheep since I started. I have a gay friend and he's made a ton of friends through the LGTBA - he thinks very highly of it! To the other poster, I also haven't heard of any racism taking place in Durham.
Reply 10
LGBTa scares me. I don't like the idea of there being a gay society... I don't want to ever be mixing solely with straight/gay people, really... I am a bit weird, I suppose, and Durham has barely any gay night life, at all! But it doesnt bother me all the time. Just sometimes. Grrrgh
Reply 11
Sorry maybe it sounds another potentional stupid question.
What's the difference between the meaning of "Gay" and "Les"?
Also can "les" be replaced by "gay"?
I just want to learn some real english words.
Reply 12
blllllllllaaaaaaacccccccckkkkkk ccccccccoooooocccccccckkkkkkkk.

Just adding some much needed themed edginess to the thread.
Please don't neg-rep me.
Reply 13
gyt35
Sorry maybe it sounds another potentional stupid question.
What's the difference between the meaning of "Gay" and "Les"?
Also can "les" be replaced by "gay"?
I just want to learn some real english words.

Les is short for lesbian and only ever refers to a homosexual female. Gay can refer to either a homosexual male or a homosexual female. Gay is more commonly used in general and is also used by some as a generic insulting term, e.g.

"That dinner lady is so gay, she wouldn't give me an extra sausage"
Reply 14
Foxius
blllllllllaaaaaaacccccccckkkkkk ccccccccoooooocccccccckkkkkkkk.

Just adding some much needed themed edginess to the thread.
Please don't neg-rep me.

:confused:
TKR
Les is short for lesbian and only ever refers to a homosexual female. Gay can refer to either a homosexual male or a homosexual female. Gay is more commonly used in general and is also used by some as a generic insulting term, e.g.

:toofunny:
I'd rep you if I hadn't already negged someone today!
Becca
It's completely fine as far as I'm aware. I'm white, but I have never heard of any racism in Durham whatsoever, students or locals. :smile:

I've heard of racist incidents in Durham but it's not common(AFAIK).
Reply 16
TKR

Thanks very much!
I think I got it!:rolleyes:
but I have heard that if you used "gay" to refer to "les",that also makes a insluting term.
am I right?:confused:

It seems that my question is alway a little bit boring.....:biggrin:
Reply 17
Thanks for the help everyone! I'm sure that Durham cannote be half as racist as the *******s in London :smile:
Reply 18
TKR

Repped.
Reply 19
TKR
Why do I imagine that in a Welsh accent?! :rolleyes:

Latest