The Student Room Group

Learning to drive for 2 years and still not ready! First test tomorrow!

I am so freaking nervous.

I used to drive with AA before and i did about 40 two hour lessons until my instructor changed her job. I didn't drive for 7 months and then I started driving with a good driving school. After 34 two hour lessons tomorrow is finally my first test and I am totally not ready.

The last 3 days i've been driving with my instructor and I'm not getting anything right which is frustrating because i could do it. But now I'm losing my confidence. I did a mock a month ago but i failed that so i had to change my test date to tomorrow. Thing is I am not confident i can do it. I've done so many lessons and I still feel like a newbie.

Changing gears, left reverse and parallel parking are like my weakest areas and i tried really hard on them the last few weeks. Sometimes i was successful, other times I failed majorly,

My instructor said technically I'm not ready and she wouldn't recommend me doing my test, but it's too late, and the other day she said there's a small chance in her heart that I can do it. I am a safe driver but not a confident one :frown:

I'm so bloody scared. Thing is, if I fail tomorrow, i'm going to stop driving. I've spent loooooads of money on it, and I have my uni exams as well starting next week. Don't know what to do. I feel rubbish :'(

Anyone else been in my position? Do you have any driving test tips? Thank you :smile:

Sorry for the long essay!
Reply 1
I have been in pretty much the same position as you!

Well, I was a bit late in starting - I'm applying for postgraduate courses, to give you an idea - and my first driving lesson was a complete shambles. I felt so nervous and so terrified of crashing I eventually stopped the car and refused to move! I still have moments of that nervousness, but on the whole I feel a lot more confident about driving now.

I'd say the most important thing is to trust yourself (sounds sappy, I know!). I used to get into the car worried I would crash it, imagining the cost of crashing a learner car...pretty random things to be thinking about, but it's the truth. Eventually I just started sitting in my dad's car, in the driver's seat, not moving. I'd act like I was driving, moving the wheel, pressing on the brake, etc with the car switched off. And that feeling of control started to come, and I began to trust myself as a driver. Maybe (if there is a car available to you - parents' or something), you could sit in the car and just acclimate yourself to it?

My dad also gave me some stellar words of advice (a rarity haha). Don't do anything you don't feel comfortable with. If they tell you to change lane, do a U-turn or even turn right, do it at whatever speed you feel comfortable with. Don't be scared of slowing right down to turn a corner. The instructor is looking for a driver he feels safe with, and that means you should try to feel as comfortable as you can.

And look - if you fail tomorrow, don't give up. Take some time before you start lessons again (I did, to save up), and possibly learn in an automatic instead? It is a lot less worrisome. I think it's actually pretty rare to pass on your first try (well certainly nobody in my family/circle of friends has!) and failing wouldn't be an indication of your true ability to be a safe and confident driver. These things happen and can take time (I can certainly attest to the second).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AquaBubblez
I am so freaking nervous.

I used to drive with AA before and i did about 40 two hour lessons until my instructor changed her job. I didn't drive for 7 months and then I started driving with a good driving school. After 34 two hour lessons tomorrow is finally my first test and I am totally not ready.

The last 3 days i've been driving with my instructor and I'm not getting anything right which is frustrating because i could do it. But now I'm losing my confidence. I did a mock a month ago but i failed that so i had to change my test date to tomorrow. Thing is I am not confident i can do it. I've done so many lessons and I still feel like a newbie.

Changing gears, left reverse and parallel parking are like my weakest areas and i tried really hard on them the last few weeks. Sometimes i was successful, other times I failed majorly,

My instructor said technically I'm not ready and she wouldn't recommend me doing my test, but it's too late, and the other day she said there's a small chance in her heart that I can do it. I am a safe driver but not a confident one :frown:

I'm so bloody scared. Thing is, if I fail tomorrow, i'm going to stop driving. I've spent loooooads of money on it, and I have my uni exams as well starting next week. Don't know what to do. I feel rubbish :'(

Anyone else been in my position? Do you have any driving test tips? Thank you :smile:

Sorry for the long essay!

I used to be really nervous about driving, but my driving instructor told me something I will never forget. It's what boosted my confidence and made me control my nerves. "Nerves and overconfidence causes crashes. You need to find the balance between the two." When he said that I realised that when I was nervous, I would do stupid things. I then tried to calm down whilst always driving! The next time I was nervous driving was on my test, and I made quite a few **** ups, but because I kept my cool and didn't panic too much, I passed!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Cathrela

Well, I was a bit late in starting - I'm applying for postgraduate courses, to give you an idea - and my first driving lesson was a complete shambles. I felt so nervous and so terrified of crashing I eventually stopped the car and refused to move! I still have moments of that nervousness, but on the whole I feel a lot more confident about driving now.

I'd say the most important thing is to trust yourself (sounds sappy, I know!). I used to get into the car worried I would crash it, imagining the cost of crashing a learner car...pretty random things to be thinking about, but it's the truth. Eventually I just started sitting in my dad's car, in the driver's seat, not moving. I'd act like I was driving, moving the wheel, pressing on the brake, etc with the car switched off. And that feeling of control started to come, and I began to trust myself as a driver. Maybe (if there is a car available to you - parents' or something), you could sit in the car and just acclimate yourself to it?

My dad also gave me some stellar words of advice (a rarity haha). Don't do anything you don't feel comfortable with. If they tell you to change lane, do a U-turn or even turn right, do it at whatever speed you feel comfortable with. Don't be scared of slowing right down to turn a corner. The instructor is looking for a driver he feels safe with, and that means you should try to feel as comfortable as you can.

And look - if you fail tomorrow, don't give up. Take some time before you start lessons again (I did, to save up), and possibly learn in an automatic instead? It is a lot less worrisome. I think it's actually pretty rare to pass on your first try (well certainly nobody in my family/circle of friends has!) and failing wouldn't be an indication of your true ability to be a safe and confident driver. These things happen and can take time (I can certainly attest to the second).

Thank you so much for your words! I actually feel a bit at ease now as I feel anything I do I'm going to just mess up! I'll give it my best, I won't give up! Thanks =)

Original post by Pandora..
I used to be really nervous about driving, but my driving instructor told me something I will never forget. It's what boosted my confidence and made me control my nerves. "Nerves and overconfidence causes crashes. You need to find the balance between the two." When he said that I realised that when I was nervous, I would do stupid things. I then tried to calm down whilst always driving! The next time I was nervous driving was on my test, and I made quite a few **** ups, but because I kept my cool and didn't panic too much, I passed!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's awesome! I'll try my hardest to keep calm tomorrow (though is going to be hard!) and I'll try to forget the negative and concentrate to do well! Thanks a lot for your advice! =)
Reply 4
Original post by Pandora..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Cathrela

Thank you so much guys!

Today I passed my test first time and with one minor fault! I took on board what you guys said tried not to be nervous and doing what I'm comfortable with! And I passed! Thank you so much =D
Reply 5
Yay that's great, congratulations :smile:
Original post by AquaBubblez
Thank you so much guys!

Today I passed my test first time and with one minor fault! I took on board what you guys said tried not to be nervous and doing what I'm comfortable with! And I passed! Thank you so much =D

Well done! Knew you could do it if you stopped being so nervous! So happy for you! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending