The Student Room Group

AQA Sociology Unit 2 Education and Research Methods Forum

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bob smith 23
The independent variable is the one that you change, the dependent is the one that you measure (I think):

Ice
Cream

Does
Melt
___
Independent
Changes

Dependent
Measured

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by amelia098
I think it went okay I am glad childhood and social policies came up. I wrote ten sides my hand was aching so much after that exam. How did you feel it went ?

Sorry...what?

You had 60 minutes in the exam.

That means, at most, you spent 6 minutes reading, writing and checking per page of work, with NO break, 10 times over.

Now I'm not an expert but that sounds to me like you either:

1) Got extra time
OR
2) Regurgitated all you knew without thinking through what you were writing. In this case, your standard of work will be extremely poor.
OR
3) You are exaggerating.

Even if you are an unusually fast writer, that quantity of work is ridiculous.

edit: for clarification, I wrote about 6-6.5 pages
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 82
Original post by Comeback
Sorry...what?

That means, at most, you spent 6 minutes reading, writing and checking per page of work, with NO break, 10 times over.

1) Got extra time
OR
2) Regurgitated all you knew without thinking through what you were writing. In this case, your standard of work will be extremely poor.
OR
3) You are exaggerating.

Not entirely true, I wrote about the same but admittedly I have larger than average handwriting, left gaps between each question and didn't have time to read over. but if you spend time planning your whole answer/ argument out first it speeds up your writing significantly, so don't dismiss something just because it's not how you yourself would do it.
Does anyone know how to structure the final essay on research methods, only we've not been through it yet in class.
Original post by Guffguff
My teacher predicted the 20 mark for education as assess the view that material deprivation is the main cause of differences in educational achievement between social groups
And she also predicted the research methods 20 marks as
Why do sociology a prefer different sampling types

i can't see sampling coming up as a 20 marker...it's never come up before :smile:
Does anyone know how to structure the final essay on research methods, only we've not been through it yet in class.

i acquired this for my students, might be helpful for you
Original post by risteard

Thank you, this is really useful, do you know anything about that last question on research methods and how to structure it to get top marks?
Thank you, this is really useful, do you know anything about that last question on research methods and how to structure it to get top marks?

there's one in there.

use the PERVERT mnemonic.

You have to properly apply the research method to the given scenario, just mentioning it wont get you above 11/20.

so, for example...... Whilst participant observation will give us a lot of qualitative data when studying pupil subcultures, what Weber called 'verstehen' it won't give us much in the way of facts, positivists criticise this research method because the researcher subjectively speaks for the participants whilst claiming to let them speak for themselves, making meaning where none may exist. For example what the researcher may classify as 'boisterous behavior' may not mean that to those being studied.

do you see how i've applied the method to the context?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Harriet1998
At least 3 times my teacher suggests

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Tammy279
yeah, you need to first outline all the functionalist views and then do a paragraph on each of the other perspectives critiquing functionalists, that structure will give you full marks

Thank you :smile:
Reply 90
Original post by fallingleaves97
Thats good! me too i was literally so happy when I read those words :biggrin: I'm nervous for Unit 2 though.. still got 3 topics left of education to get through

same .i still have a lot to revise for..plus research methods!!!..oh nooo..:eek:
Original post by Comeback
Sorry...what?

1) Got extra time
OR
OR
3) You are exaggerating.

ORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR they have big handwriting?????????

Still havent got the email :redface:
Original post by Uw0tm8_
Still havent got the email :redface:

Are you sure it's not in spam?

Send me your email again as I've deleted most messages I've had

This document is amazing and extremely useful, thank you!
might be useful to you lot.
it depends on if it is an examine or assess, if it is examine you need to just write a sentence or so of evaluation whereas if it was an asses there are more ao2 marks so more evaluation is needed so like a paragraph we always got taught the 'PEELE' essay structure
P-point
E-explain
E-example
L-link
E-evaluation
in the methods in context question a strength and limitation is given to you in the item itself so for you essay you only need to use one strength and limitation from your own knowledge as my teacher says to write 4 paragraphs 2 strengths and 2 weaknesses.
Reply 98
Can someone please tell me their predictions on what is bound to come up in the E & MIC essays
Original post by Uw0tm8_
ORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR they have big handwriting?????????

Unless it is massive I don't think so. Then again I have medium to small handwriting :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending