The Student Room Group

Being a true loser

I know it doesn't matter anymore but everytime I think about it I get like this down feeling. Basically I think theres something wrong with me that makes people not like me. I remember when I was doing A levels in a sociology class I hardly said a word or contributed to discussions because this lad was there from high school and he knew I was very quiet (although I was ok with my own friends) and I didn't want to change and be louder cause he would think Im even weirder. Don't worry if you don't understand that lol, anyway I tried to make friends with people oustside the lesson but they just sort of ignored me I wasn't cool enough.

The teacher was talking about a topic and everyone had to say how they felt about people in the room and when it got to me he said 'what do you have against everyone in here' I said 'nothing I like them' then he said 'well why don't you mix with them them'. I just said I don't know' lol! Then I remember doing about physical appearance and we had to rate each others looks anonymously and I got the lowest score of 4.3, im sure its not allowed but the teacher was quite immature and liked a laugh. Then a few weeks later I passed out in the same lesson (stomach cramps) and every time I spoke to people they looked away. After that I remember the girls had to tell everyone whether we would date a guy smaller than us and as a joke I said 'yea as long as he's got money' but no one laughed they all thought I was serious and said yea some people are like that, I don't give a crap about money really! I really hated college!

My relatives laugh when I tell them this but I just feel really weird like theres something wrong. I do have friends but there is something about me that no one likes:confused:

Or does everyone have phases like this at some point?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anonymous

I can't relate to everything in your post; but for some bizarre reason in my history class a lot of people think I'm very quiet, reserved, shy, heavy studier etc. My teachers thought I was quite thick until I did my first mock exam and now they just think I'm serially shy. I don't know why, I just don't interact with our class - and if I do say anything, I tend to be to the point and speak only to the teacher and not to my fellow students as I'm usually responding to the teacher.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that yes, there are others who have been or are going through phases like this. Sometimes in certain environments you just get stuck in a bit of a rut, and after time has passed it can be hard - nigh on impossible - to change that and break the previous image. I've discovered that it's only through going to college parties that people in my history class have discovered that I'm not a complete social recluse.

Dunno if that's of any use but best of luck to you. :smile:
Reply 2
Everyone has phases like that. Are you in University now? I'm sure that in University people are different. Bear in mind, it is very important to make a very good first impression. If the first impression isn't good, then I think people don't seem to care how you change throughout your time there, they will remember the first time they saw you!
Reply 3
ninstro
I can't relate to everything in your post; but for some bizarre reason in my history class a lot of people think I'm very quiet, reserved, shy, heavy studier etc. My teachers thought I was quite thick until I did my first mock exam and now they just think I'm serially shy. I don't know why, I just don't interact with our class - and if I do say anything, I tend to be to the point and speak only to the teacher and not to my fellow students as I'm usually responding to the teacher.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that yes, there are others who have been or are going through phases like this. Sometimes in certain environments you just get stuck in a bit of a rut, and after time has passed it can be hard - nigh on impossible - to change that and break the previous image. I've discovered that it's only through going to college parties that people in my history class have discovered that I'm not a complete social recluse.

Dunno if that's of any use but best of luck to you. :smile:

Thanks, yea I was predicted an E for most subjects but got C's and B's which are not great but I knew I was going to get them anyway. I also saw this girl I knew from netball in a club and she has told everyone and they won't stop taking the mick ie I saw you dancing with 5 lads. Can't win lol.
Reply 4
BeeT
Everyone has phases like that. Are you in University now? I'm sure that in University people are different. Bear in mind, it is very important to make a very good first impression. If the first impression isn't good, then I think people don't seem to care how you change throughout your time there, they will remember the first time they saw you!

meh why is it so impossible for there opinion of you to change lol? For all they know we could have matured and outgrown the weirdness or something...
Yeah im at university and am treated normal probably because I speak just as much as everyone else, also adults accept eccentric people unlike kids/teenagers though that doesn't make me any less strange.
Reply 5
You seem interesting enough to me. Chances are the people in college didn't understand you, and if you'd mixed with them you would have been bored out of your mind. Although it's little comfort now, one day I'm sure you'll meet people on your own wavelength and you'll be glad you didn't have to put up with the inane banter of the people in your Sociology class. In the meantime, you say you have friends now. They obviously like you or they wouldn't talk to you. Enjoy the fact that you're strange enough to have a whole college full of people not quite get you.
Reply 6
Thelfo
You seem interesting enough to me. Chances are the people in college didn't understand you, and if you'd mixed with them you would have been bored out of your mind. Although it's little comfort now, one day I'm sure you'll meet people on your own wavelength and you'll be glad you didn't have to put up with the inane banter of the people in your Sociology class. In the meantime, you say you have friends now. They obviously like you or they wouldn't talk to you. Enjoy the fact that you're strange enough to have a whole college full of people not quite get you.

Thanks:p: I did talk to one girl next to me and sometimes walked home but we had known each other from school, she knew I was joking so your probably right they didn't understand me. I guess things like this happen to some.
Anonymous
I know it doesn't matter anymore but everytime I think about it I get like this down feeling. Basically I think theres something wrong with me that makes people not like me. I remember when I was doing A levels in a sociology class I hardly said a word or contributed to discussions because this lad was there from high school and he knew I was very quiet (although I was ok with my own friends) and I didn't want to change and be louder cause he would think Im even weirder. Don't worry if you don't understand that lol, anyway I tried to make friends with people oustside the lesson but they just sort of ignored me I wasn't cool enough.

The teacher was talking about a topic and everyone had to say how they felt about people in the room and when it got to me he said 'what do you have against everyone in here' I said 'nothing I like them' then he said 'well why don't you mix with them them'. I just said I don't know' lol! Then I remember doing about physical appearance and we had to rate each others looks anonymously and I got the lowest score of 4.3, im sure its not allowed but the teacher was quite immature and liked a laugh. Then a few weeks later I passed out in the same lesson (stomach cramps) and every time I spoke to people they looked away. After that I remember the girls had to tell everyone whether we would date a guy smaller than us and as a joke I said 'yea as long as he's got money' but no one laughed they all thought I was serious and said yea some people are like that, I don't give a crap about money really! I really hated college!

My relatives laugh when I tell them this but I just feel really weird like theres something wrong. I do have friends but there is something about me that no one likes:confused:

I do relate to the first paragraph about people already knowing you're quiet and how difficult it is to remove that stereotype. I was incredibly quiet and shy at school then we moved up to 6th form I wanted to become louder but felt too scared because people from school already knew I was quiet!

I have to say, starting university was quite a release for me, since no-one knew me and I found I wasn't afraid to be a new person.

That thing about rating each other's looks sounds ridiculous, I can't believe a teacher would force people to do that!
Hey, I'm a true loser and I'm proud to be one.
Why
Hey, I'm a true loser and I'm proud to be one.

err, why?
HenvY
err, why?

Because I fail to do anything I want to.
Reply 11
Why
Because I fail to do anything I want to.

Somewhat of a non sequitur, I suspect.
Reply 12
Ah, don't worry about it, all the best people in the world are the ones who are slightly strange and unusual and eccentric. Being "weird" is normal as far as I'm concerned! In 6th form, me & my friends were referred to by the rest of our year as "the weird lot". We were actually proud of that. And my friends now are all people like me, who are individuals who don't give a damn about things being fashionable or caring what people think of us and how we act.

So yes, it's just a phase and ignore the silly fools who can't change their opinions. (If I hadn't changed my opinions, I'd still be throughly scared of the girl who is now my best friend; when I first met her she was bustling about being all efficient and organising things, and I was throughly intimidated. 12 months to the day I was sobbing my heart out in her kitchen and being fed shortbread.)
Reply 13
what a **** teacher for allowing the class to rate each other .. what did he/she think would happen? If that's true your school has serious problems. I would be happy people at that college aren't associating with you .. you sound like you're more interesting than the rest of them anyway.
I LOVE LOSERS they are the most interested people of them all! i dont understand why they cudnt see tht u were just shy (in tht situation) or felt uncomfertable or whatever. and i totally agree with the comment someone sed earlier- u just wouldnt enjoy their company at the end of the day!!
i also HATE the way people put u in a box and presume u to be like tht forever! -note toe everyone who understands these posts- KEEP AWAY FROM THESE PEOPLE!!!! They are EVIL!!HARHARHAR
Seriously keep away from the popular people who dont have personalities- ever watched mean girls????
nuf sed
xx
mwa
Yeah. That's why I'm proud to be a loser. Winners have it easy, They dont grow mentally the way losers do. Losers become winners later on in life though.
Reply 16
There are some people in life who go through school being a "loser", but who are too thick-skinned to care. They therefore get the mates (by just being bolshy enough to push themselves into the centre of the group), speak up in class (because they don't have much self-awareness), and, in this way, change from being a "loser" to being a "normal" person.

However, there are some people, like you, who are much more sensitive. Perhaps they're not accepted straight away by other people because they're new or different, and perhaps they're scared of speaking in class because they're worried they'll make themselves look a fool. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with you which makes people not like you; you're just different, and that's totally normal. Some people just don't click with some other people, through no fault of their own. But you say you have got friends, which is brilliant - just because you don't really get on with anyone in one particular class doesn't make you a loser! As long as you're always civil and polite and friendly to the people in that class, they've got nothing to complain about.

And neither does your teacher. That's absolutely appalling that he asked the class to rate their physical appearance, and it's none of his business about whether you mix with the other people in your class. He sounds like a stupid insecure little man who's trying to gain respect in the class by getting in with the "cool" crowd and distancing himself from the others. Just ignore the little blighter; he's not worth your time.

And as for no one laughing at your joke - again, that's not your problem. It probably would have worked if the people in the class had known you a bit better, if they had known that you're not materialistic or anything. But don't feel bad about that; it's got nothing to do with you or them, just that you were working on the assumption that they knew you weren't serious.

You're not a loser - simple! Enjoy the friends you have, be friendly to the people in your class, and be civil to the people you can't stand, and no one will fault you. Yes, everyone goes through phases of thinking they suck a bit, but it doesn't mean it's true.

Good luck!
xxx
Reply 17
Some people can't stand others being quiet because their need to know every person remains unfulfilled.
It doesn't matter what this lad would think. I'm sure he wouldn't think you were weird if you spoke up a bit, and if he does, who cares?
I can't believe the teacher made you all rate each others looks. Things like that can really put you down.
Reply 19
A lot of people are 'different', and a lot of other people, particularly at school/college, are nasty about it. It's called bullying, and it's a real shame. As life progresses (university, workplace, etc.) those who are popular and 'cool' now may well find it difficult to make new friends. I personally know of several times this has happened.

Also, I am appalled that your teacher asked members of the class to 'rate' each other; that is serious misconduct.

Latest

Trending

Trending