The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hahaha And Who Is This Iq Boy
Helenia
It may be a non-sexually-transmitted infection. You did everything you possibly could have done, so try not to blame herself.

And slackerbeeatch, while it's quite unusual for someone to make a diagnosis just on what something looks like, it seems in this case the doctor had some reason for what she said and did. Let's not worry too much about that and focus on what the OP should do now.

I wasn't trying to belittle the OP's problem and shift the focus. I was just trying to point out that it is possible that the nurse was overreacting (If you look back you will see that the description of her discharge wasn't there when I posted) and that is was more than likely the OP had nothing to worry about.

It is important to realise that there are over 25 STIs out there, and most of them result in some form of discharge thus it is important to make sure you get tests, to find out which one you have. Not all antibiotics treat all infections. Some (such as herpes, pubic lice and genital warts) can be transmitted through skin to skin contact alone. And others (Herpes, genital warts, HIV)can't be cured. It is important to make sure you know and trust any sexual partner and know (as far as possible) their sexual history.

OP: have you spoken to the person you had sex with? If indeed you have got an infection from him, you should inform him so that he can get himself checked out and treated also
Reply 22
The guy went back to his home country and I no longer have contact details for him. This is the one time in my life I did anything remotely irreponsible (having a short fling with someone I didn't know that well - I was just curious about what sex would be like to be honest - I know it sounds silly) and it looks like I might be paying for it, while my flatmates last year slept with a different guy every weekend, usually unprotected. I want to contact them since one of them is bound to have chlamydia or something and they NEVER got tested.

I was thinking earlier about how truly unlikely it would be to get an STI like chlamydia with all the precautions I took - I even watched him unwrap the condom, put it on and check it was there afterwards. Does anyone have any idea if these symptoms (green discharge around the cervix and slight bleeding) can be anything other than chlamydia or bacterial vaginiosis, which is what the Dr seemed to think? I will be going for another smear test in the uni clinic soon, since I still need to be checked for HPV and I want to ask them to check for anything it might be.
Don't worry darling.

A long time ago now, I had Chlamidia (i Think!) for about 6 months without knowing (completely symptomless) and guess who I got it off?
Anonymous
I was thinking earlier about how truly unlikely it would be to get an STI like chlamydia with all the precautions I took - I even watched him unwrap the condom, put it on and check it was there afterwards. Does anyone have any idea if these symptoms (green discharge around the cervix and slight bleeding) can be anything other than chlamydia or bacterial vaginiosis, which is what the Dr seemed to think? I will be going for another smear test in the uni clinic soon, since I still need to be checked for HPV and I want to ask them to check for anything it might be.

It could be something like thrush (you don't always have to be itchy)/maybe you physiologically have heavy discharge/were near to your period/just finishing your period/were slightly irritated/your cervix got hurt when the speculum hit it....Could be any number of things. The important thing is that you get checked properly and treated accordingly.

As far as I know, they can't check for HPV (genital warts) or herpes unless you actually have visible signs and you would probably notice this yourself.
Reply 25
Well she did ask me at first if I had thrush, and if intercourse was painful (I was in loads of pain from her trying to do the smear test). I told her I hadn't had intercourse in ages. She poked around a bit more and suddenly seemed to decide it was chlamydia? Maybe when she noticed the bleeding.

I just realised it was actually 8-9 months since I had sex....... I hope to God any STD I do have hasn't caused damage by now :eek: What do they mean by 'they can cause infertility if not treated?' Not treated for years? That's what I always thought but now I'm worried to death. The doctor seemed to imply that those STD info sheets/websites are exaggerating a bit, and that most people with chlamydia clear it up eventually with no problems. She acted like I was being neurotic about it, but like I said earlier, I love children and I want to have a family. She said 'EVEN if you have chlamydia, chances are you'll conceive within 6 months and everything will be fine' which made me feel a lot better, but then I came home and looked online and freaked myself out again.

It just scares me to death that loads of people must be walking around with chlamydia not knowing - I had no reason to think I needed an STD test, and if I hadn't gone for the smear test, which I was told was not even that important at my age, I could easily have had it 2-3 or more years without knowing. Agh. So anyway, at my next smear, should I just explain what happened with the previous one, ask her to look out for signs of infection still being there, and test me for chlamydia and gonohrrea just to be on the safe side? They'll do they won't they? How long should I wait for the antibiotics to take effect? I started them today, would 2 weeks be enough?
Reply 26
Seriously, calm down. Every post of yours I read seems to become more panicked, when really you have nothing to worry about. The doctor seems not to be worried, so I'd stop scaring yourself by reading more on the net, and just get on with things.

You need to realise you've DONE THE RIGHT THING. Don't panic about what might have happened, or what might still happen. The whole situation is very much in hand and will be sorted soon. As for when to get your repeat smear and other tests, call the GP or NHS Direct to find out what they advise.
Reply 27
Yeah I know I worry way too much. I just don't know what to believe - the doctor who says loads of people have chlamydia these days and it's hardly ever cause for concern, or the websites and posters all around my school stating that you will become infertile within weeks because of it :rolleyes: I'm just a natural worrier and if told I have an STD, will assume the worst case scenario will happen whereas most people probably think it will be fine. I think the Dr was mistaking my worry for being ashamed or feeling dirty, but it's really just fear that it might not all go away. She said even if one or both tubes were blocked, it's not a big deal - but for me it is. I saw my aunt go through years of misery trying to conceive - her tubes were blocked from PID.
I suppose I'll have to hope for the best and get the tests sorted out. I'll try to just not think about it for now - at least it's being treated and not ignored. I suppose you can't go through your whole life never having sex just in case (the Dr said it was like never crossing a road, lol). Thanks for your help and I'll post again if I have any problems with my new tests.

Latest

Trending

Trending