The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bxthgxlmxrx
Q1: Bullet point a summary of the article in three sentences. Then find evidence for these sentences. Then, make an inference. This is anything that you understand from the evidence without it being explicitly stated.Try to make an interesting inference. You won't lose marks for being 'original' or 'unusual'. Always look for the point in the text where something contradicts previous messages.
Q2: Find a technique used in the headline such as humour, wordplay, alliteration. Give evidence for its use. Then explain what effect this has on the reader. Does it make them laugh? Can they relate to it? Does it have a sinister effect? Try and do this for two techniques if you have time. Then, write about how this effect is expanded on or contradicted in the text. Does the text also use humour as it is about a funny story? Next, look at the picture. Don't just write that it catches your eye. What is it about the picture that catches your eye? Is it the colour or the positioning of the people? Write about one of these techniques and what effect it has. Don't be afraid to make it up - even if the colour red doesn't immediately suggest danger to you, the examiner will like it! Then, write about how this effect is expanded on or contradicted in the text.
Q3: Bullet point the emotions that the author has in the source. Now choose the three most important ones. Look for ones that are opposites - for example, does she feel excited then scared, then hopeful? Does he feel anxious, then angry, then relieved? Try not to make it scared, more scared and terrified! Now, write these into paragraphs.Try to follow chronological order. Find quotations that show this is how the author feels. Don't choose quotations like "I was annoyed" as this is too obvious. If you can,use sentence length and punctuation. Then explain how you can tell the author is feeling this way. Then, explain what thoughts have led them to feel this way. For example, the author is excited because she thinks her journey is going to leave her with many amazing memories.
Q4: The main advice is to write in depth instead of trying to hit four points or x number of paragraphs. Look at source 3. Highlight all the language devices you can find. Try not to go for things like alliteration or onompatopoeia unless you are certain you know why they are being used and for what effect. It is far easier to analyse techniques like humour and imagery. You are certain to find examples of emotive language, similes, metaphors and sensory images in the text, so look out for these. Now, do the same for source 1 or 2. Now you need to start writing. Remember, you get more marks for analysis than for comparison. Try not to waste time on vague and generic comments about tenses, narratives and formal v informal language. Also, writing about purpose is not language analysis and won't get marks! Instead, look in detail at the effect of a technique in source 3. Then, find where the same effect is created in the other source (or a very opposite effect). Write a brief comparison linking sentence such as "Similarly, Source 2 also uses language to create a tone of fear and concern. This is achieved by..." Then go on to identify a technique, give evidence and analyse the effect. Try to make at least two comments on each source.

To add on to what 'bxthgxlmxrx' said:

Q1) Read the question. Read text and highlight 3 quotes (1 from top, 1 from middle and 1 from bottom) from the text (annotating them as you go) - 5 mins (try and look for a change in thought)
Write 3 paragraphs for 3 quotes (NO LANGUAGE ANALYSIS) - 10 mins

Q2) Read the question. Read text and highlight 3 things and annotate (1 from picture, headline, etc...). IN THE SAME COLOUR, GO TO THE TEXT AND FIND A QUOTE FROM THE TEXT TO CORRESPOND TO THE TECHNIQUE YOU HAVE FOUND IN THE HEADLINE, PICTURE... AND EXPLAIN HOW THEY LINK - 5 mins
Write 3 paragraphs for the 3 things - 10 mins

Q3) Read the question. Read text and highlight 3 quotes and annotate for BOTH THOUGHTS AND FEELINGS- AT LEAST 1 QUOTE ON THOUGHTS AND 1 QUOTE ON FEELINGS - 5 mins (try to look for a change in feeling or thought)
Write 3 paragraphs for the 3 quotes (NO LANGUAGE ANALYSIS) - 10 mins

Q4) Draw up a quick table and write source 3 and whichever other source you use. Find 3 techniques in each and compare them- i.e same techniques used to give same effect, same technique used to give different effects or different techniques used to give same effect - 5 -7 min
Write the 3 comparison paragraphs- 23-25 min

Q5) Plan out what you want - 5 mins
Write 3-4 detailed paragraphs - 20 mins

Q6) Plan out what you want - 5 mins
Write 5-6 detailed paragraphs - 25 mins
Original post by sharkfinn87
thanks also for q.4 should you alternated each paragraph so you are comparing them at the same time rather than all of one then the other? should there be 2 similarities and 2 differences?

Well I thought this originally but I think what your supposed to do is start with
"Both articles use (language device). However source 1 does it for (effect 1) and source 3 does it for (effect 2). .... and then develop your points further and this would be one paragraph. Then repeat this kind of structure for 4 other paragraphs. This is just what I'm thinking of doing but I may not be necessarily correct.
Original post by natasha0144
thanks! that is so helpful
but what do you mean by technical term?

Technical term would be an english device e.g. metaphor, simile, sibilance etc
Original post by adapttochangelad
Yes I guess so as long as you link it with the other source :wink:

I always thought it had to be something specific like direct speech or address or tricolon (rule of three).
Original post by BoomCha!
They are, ignore your teacher.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much! q4 has always been quite good for me, would have been disappointing if I skipped out all of those features, and are brackets and short sentences examples as she also told me to not write about them. Thanks so much :smile:
Original post by natasha0144
I find q2 really hard :frown: I don't know why but the highest I ever got on q2 is 6/8

That's good!
q1 THERE ARE ALWAYS CONTRADICTIONS IN THE TEXT; THIS MAY BE HIDDEN SO YOU WILL NEED TO USE YOUR INFERENCE SKILLS TO THE BEST OF YOUR ABILITY TO NOTICE THESE DISCREET CHANGES. ESP IF THEY ARE AN ALTERNATIVE VIEW FROM THE MAIN STATED POINT FOR EG. THE WRITER MIGHT SAY "SMOKING IS BAD" AND A COUPLE OF SENTENCES LATER IT MIGHT SAY "DOCTORS ADVISE PATIENTS TO SMOKE TO HELP THEM WITH ...IDK...CANCER" (MADE UP BTW) SO WE CAN SAY THAT ALTHOUGH THE WRITER BELIEVES SMOKING IS BAD; WE LEARN THAT IT MAY ACTUALLY HAVE HEALTH BENEFITS BC A PROFESSIONAL i.e THE DOCTOR HAS ADVISED THE PATIENT TO SMOKE, THE READER QUESTIONS THE WRITER'S VIEW IS BC NOT STRONG ENOUGH BLA BLA BLA I MADE THIS UP ON THE SPOT DONT BULLY MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE YAY HOPE YOU ALL DO WELL LOVE YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Does anyone know how to infer meanings in Questions 1-3? I don't understand what it means!!
image.jpgThis is a plan on how to answer question 6 made by my teacher, really makes it easier...
For q1 mention 3 points from different places in the article; make it clear you have read the entire source by using phrases such as "in the opening of the article", "later on the article" "towards the end of the article" bla bla blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Can someone be a bae and tel me what mark on averrage do i need to get in my exam to achieve an a grade considering i got 66/80 in my c/a yes im dumb but plssssssssss need the reassurance xxxxx
Reply 191
If the question 5/6 was on an article, would you have to put in a headline? :smile: good luck to everyone for tomorrow #we'reallinthistogether
Dont forget to link each point made about headline and picture to the next k nigzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Can we compare language in the titles for question 4?

For q5 and q6, can someone give me tips? What methods do i include and how long should it be?

I got a* in cw and 62/80 in the mock so am aiming for an a* overall. Help is appreciated!!!
Original post by Kvllum
If the question 5/6 was on an article, would you have to put in a headline? :smile: good luck to everyone for tomorrow #we'reallinthistogether

I'd say it's probably not necessary but if you can come up with something witty then I guess, why not eh?
Original post by nadiakms
Dont forget to link each point made about headline and picture to the next k nigzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

You're in year 11 stop speaking like a retard.
Can we all come back to this post after the exam and throw a party pls like cmon wheres the fun
Original post by Kvllum

Yeah, include a headline/title for articles.
Original post by kardo135
You're in year 11 stop speaking like a retard.

a) im not speaking i am typing
b) who said the english langauge exam has started now -_-
(edited 8 years ago)
Do we need to write both addresses when writing a letter

Latest

Trending

Trending