The Student Room Group

Reluctant to meet my family?

Been together with my boyfriend for a year - that's one of the important issues here. In other relationships, each others parents have been met like a month or two into the relationship, it's been a year and he hasn't met my parents and I haven't met his.

Another important thing here is that my family have expressed a dislike to him over issues and one of the things they keep saying is that the fact they haven't met him just makes them more dubious about him - it is brought up in arguments a lot.

I've told him I want him to meet my mum before I go home from uni - his response was 'I think meeting your family is irrelevant' 'im in a relationship with you, not you and your family'. He also told me he had a derby ticket for horse racing or something, I told him how important it was to me that he met my family as it would make relations easier, the argument wasn't really resolved. He then told me (after a few beers) he would try and sell his ticket so he can meet my mum.

I bought it up again when he was sober and he said he would 'try' and sell it, but the ticket was expensive and he wanted to go - so basically i'm not convinced he will actually bother to sell the ticket.
It will be difficult for him to meet my mum soon because we will be going long distance soon so that will be an issue as getting time for them both to meet and place etc. His reluctance to begin with also raised alarm bells.

Obviously I can't force him not to go, but he knows this is a big deal for me and tbh i'm feeling a bit confused as to why he's so reluctant to meet my family/introduce me to his parents, it makes me feel a bit insecure as to how serious he is about the relationship (despite him claiming he is serious). I honestly don't know what to do, and I don't know what to say to my family as to why he hasn't met them! :frown:
This is a bit of a red flag to be honest. Talk to him and try to understand WHY he thinks it's not that important. Remind him that if he wants a serious relationship then it is essential that you meet each other's family. If he still refuses to actually meet them or invite you over I would probably leave

Posted from TSR Mobile
This doesnt sound promising... Does he have a bad relationship with his family? Possibly that's why he doesnt want to meet them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Melissaalb
This is a bit of a red flag to be honest. Talk to him and try to understand WHY he thinks it's not that important. Remind him that if he wants a serious relationship then it is essential that you meet each other's family. If he still refuses to actually meet them or invite you over I would probably leave

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tell me about it! He will probably just keep using the same excuses over and over, i'm gonna talk to him again today about it and see what is said
Original post by LiquidGold
This doesnt sound promising... Does he have a bad relationship with his family? Possibly that's why he doesnt want to meet them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

His relationship with his family is very good, I met his brother one day but I haven't met like his mum or anyone
Is there a reason why he doesn't want to meet your family - is he afraid they won't like him? Has he had a bad experience with this in the past? Is it because he knows he doesn't wanna return the favour? Is it because he is not actually serious about you?

There's a number of questions that comes from this. No he isn't in a relationship with your family, that doesn't mean that they shouldn't take an interest in your life and your relationships and get to know him. Also, he should be taking an interest in your life. When my ex met my parents, he said that he actually found it useful to get to understand me more - because it showed him why I did the things I did, what my influences were and the kind of future I wanted. It makes you learn a lot about the other person as well. (Another reason you can tell him why it's good to meet family).

Does his family know you exist? Quite frankly OP, I would suggest you meet his family first. My friend was in a situation where her bf met her family, got along well, then 2 years later, he never met them again, and she still hasn't met his family - and she just feels betrayed.

Just watch out with regards to what you wanna commit to if he is so unwilling.
Reply 5
Original post by stargirl63
Is there a reason why he doesn't want to meet your family - is he afraid they won't like him? Has he had a bad experience with this in the past? Is it because he knows he doesn't wanna return the favour? Is it because he is not actually serious about you?

There's a number of questions that comes from this. No he isn't in a relationship with your family, that doesn't mean that they shouldn't take an interest in your life and your relationships and get to know him. Also, he should be taking an interest in your life. When my ex met my parents, he said that he actually found it useful to get to understand me more - because it showed him why I did the things I did, what my influences were and the kind of future I wanted. It makes you learn a lot about the other person as well. (Another reason you can tell him why it's good to meet family).

Does his family know you exist? Quite frankly OP, I would suggest you meet his family first. My friend was in a situation where her bf met her family, got along well, then 2 years later, he never met them again, and she still hasn't met his family - and she just feels betrayed.

Just watch out with regards to what you wanna commit to if he is so unwilling.

I struggle to get any sort of feelings out of him in the first place so trying to find the root cause to why he doesn't want to meet my family will probably be difficult. I know why him meeting my parents would be good but I don't think he sees that himself.
I haven't even been invited to meet his family yet - I'm hoping when we go long distance and I visit him i'll meet them then but we'll see. He said for some reason that he doesn't want to visit my hometown over summer which I found a bit weird (he wants me to do all the leg work??) When I met his brother he seemed to know about me and some plans me and my boyfriend had coming up so he knew about me yeah.

That's my fear too :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
I struggle to get any sort of feelings out of him in the first place so trying to find the root cause to why he doesn't want to meet my family will probably be difficult. I know why him meeting my parents would be good but I don't think he sees that himself.
I haven't even been invited to meet his family yet - I'm hoping when we go long distance and I visit him i'll meet them then but we'll see. He said for some reason that he doesn't want to visit my hometown over summer which I found a bit weird (he wants me to do all the leg work??) When I met his brother he seemed to know about me and some plans me and my boyfriend had coming up so he knew about me yeah.

That's my fear too :frown:

Just be careful... Please. Telling his bro is different from telling his parents. He doesn't wanna come to you at all? So does that mean this is your chance to meet his parents if you're the one doing the leg work..?

I personally wouldn't get your hopes up for when you go to uni... this is only going to get harder with distance and time, especially when he is so closed and doesn't see the point in meeting the family (altho I'm sure that there's a bigger reason than that). You need to come to terms with the idea that he might not be too serious about you.
Reply 7
Just be careful... Please. Telling his bro is different from telling his parents. He doesn't wanna come to you at all? So does that mean this is your chance to meet his parents if you're the one doing the leg work..?

I personally wouldn't get your hopes up for when you go to uni... this is only going to get harder with distance and time, especially when he is so closed and doesn't see the point in meeting the family (altho I'm sure that there's a bigger reason than that). You need to come to terms with the idea that he might not be too serious about you.

I just spoke him now and couldn't really get anything out of him apart from 'i don't see why its important'. Then he just kept saying 'ah well' too. It's clear he's not serious if he can't even bring himself to meet them.
I gave him an ultimatum of either letting go of me or meeting my family. Not looking good so far
We met at uni so he understands time etc.
Reply 8
''I think meeting your family is irrelevant''... ''im in a relationship with you, not you and your family''

Ten out of ten for him having the audacity to say that :lol:

To be fair I never really like the prospect of meeting a partner's family, but I wouldn't go to such extremes to avoid doing so. Something is up, but I'm not quite sure what.
I just spoke him now and couldn't really get anything out of him apart from 'i don't see why its important'. Then he just kept saying 'ah well' too. It's clear he's not serious if he can't even bring himself to meet them.
I gave him an ultimatum of either letting go of me or meeting my family. Not looking good so far
We met at uni so he understands time etc.

Quite frankly, he doesn't need to see why it's important. At the end of the day, if you think it's important and he wants to make you happy, he would do it. He doesn't need to understand or need any further reason than "you would like him to". I'm sorry but "ah well" doesn't really cut it. That's not a response. I wonder how he would like it if you said "ah well" to something important to him. I'm sorry OP - by the sounds of things he's really not thinking too long term with your relationship.
Original post by Swanbow
Ten out of ten for him having the audacity to say that :lol:

To be fair I never really like the prospect of meeting a partner's family, but I wouldn't go to such extremes to avoid doing so. Something is up, but I'm not quite sure what.

Yeah me neither, he isn't the easiest person to read. Everything seems very strange, and his reluctance to do things which are hardly asking a lot is very very strange indeed :/

Quite frankly, he doesn't need to see why it's important. At the end of the day, if you think it's important and he wants to make you happy, he would do it. He doesn't need to understand or need any further reason than "you would like him to". I'm sorry but "ah well" doesn't really cut it. That's not a response. I wonder how he would like it if you said "ah well" to something important to him. I'm sorry OP - by the sounds of things he's really not thinking too long term with your relationship.

If he wasn't thinking long term I can't understand why he insists he's serious about me but not acting that way
Confused isn't covering how confused I am right now. Supposed to be going away on holiday with him next week :/
Yeah me neither, he isn't the easiest person to read. Everything seems very strange, and his reluctance to do things which are hardly asking a lot is very very strange indeed :/

If he wasn't thinking long term I can't understand why he insists he's serious about me but not acting that way
Confused isn't covering how confused I am right now. Supposed to be going away on holiday with him next week :/

This is something I have learned in my past experience with men - you need to judge their intentions by their actions, not what they say. There are men who do absolutely everything for their girl, but don't say I love you every day, then there's other guys who say they love their girl, whilst cheating on them. Actions speak soooo loud when you think about things like this. There's no point him saying he is serious , then says "ahh well" whenever a serious topic comes up.

One of my girls recently broke up with her serious bf of 4 years. She introduced him to her parents, his parents didn't have a clue who she was. So now they broke up, there isn't even any repercussion with him, no questions, no level of commitment that "well, she was introduced to my parents so I have to try harder than usual in this relationship", nothing. Being introduced to their parents gives you also a sense of security that yes he is serious about you and he managed 4 years of dodging opportunities until she ended it with him because she had enough - and he still didn't introduce her eve then.

Please just be careful with your feelings - it's easy to ignore warning signs when you love someone.
This is something I have learned in my past experience with men - you need to judge their intentions by their actions, not what they say. There are men who do absolutely everything for their girl, but don't say I love you every day, then there's other guys who say they love their girl, whilst cheating on them. Actions speak soooo loud when you think about things like this. There's no point him saying he is serious , then says "ahh well" whenever a serious topic comes up.

One of my girls recently broke up with her serious bf of 4 years. She introduced him to her parents, his parents didn't have a clue who she was. So now they broke up, there isn't even any repercussion with him, no questions, no level of commitment that "well, she was introduced to my parents so I have to try harder than usual in this relationship", nothing. Being introduced to their parents gives you also a sense of security that yes he is serious about you and he managed 4 years of dodging opportunities until she ended it with him because she had enough - and he still didn't introduce her eve then.

Please just be careful with your feelings - it's easy to ignore warning signs when you love someone.

Thank you :smile: Don't worry I am being really careful, left him with the ultimatum, just wait for him to come to me if he's that serious.
to be honest I'm surprised that is he's so unwilling to commit that your relationship even lasted a year. Sucks as it might I think you should end it with him on the grounds that he just doesn't give a **** about what's important to you
Original post by Alaric III
to be honest I'm surprised that is he's so unwilling to commit that your relationship even lasted a year. Sucks as it might I think you should end it with him on the grounds that he just doesn't give a **** about what's important to you

The bad thing is that he doesn't think he's being selfish :facepalm:
He gave the excuse that we've been in a relationship for a year as a point to prove we're serious - deary me
The bad thing is that he doesn't think he's being selfish :facepalm:
He gave the excuse that we've been in a relationship for a year as a point to prove we're serious - deary me

well then I think you know what you need to do

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending