The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Starbucks? :)

Hi, I have one seemingly pointless question. I'm applying to Durham for 2007 entry without having visited, so I was just wondering... is there a Starbucks there? Starbucks is my life... I'm a bit sad that way :redface: . I can't go a day without one of their iced lattes. So if they don't, that will be a deciding factor in whether I accept their offer or not (that is, if I somehow end up getting one). Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

There isn't a Starbucks in Durham, although the DSU cafes are affiliated with Starbucks so they serve their coffee, tea, etc, although they don't do iced lattes.

There are other places in Durham though, Costa, Cafe Nero, Esquires, etc. Durham is amazing and don't let a lack of Starbucks put you off from accepting the offer - you'll regret it.

Alex
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
The_Luvbster
Hi, I have one seemingly pointless question. I'm applying to Durham for 2007 entry without having visited, so I was just wondering... is there a Starbucks there? Starbucks is my life... I'm a bit sad that way :redface: . I can't go a day without one of their iced lattes. So if they don't, that will be a deciding factor in whether I accept their offer or not (that is, if I somehow end up getting one). Thanks!

:rofl:, that's a very sensible way of deciding your future...very shallow...
Reply 3
I have to admit that this summer, Starbucks saved my life.
I am actually addicted to Starbucks as well (or I was). In sixth form I literally went at least 2-3 times a week. But I have survived a whole term at Durham (including several visits to Costa, Riverside Café, Chemistry Café [DSU Starbucks franchise])....
I've never been to a Starbucks... I don't think there are any around where I am, anyway. It's all Costa and Nero... not that I've been to them, either. Coffee, ew.
Reply 6
Wow, I'm totally the same, I just LOVE paying £3 for a cup of coffee that is marginally nicer than one you can get from any old cafe, or even your own/office kitchen!
Reply 7
Starbucks is my life... I'm a bit sad that way

If The_Luvbster gets an offer from Durham then I will quit and go work on an oil rig.
Reply 8
The_Luvbster

If you're planning to buy a latte from Starbucks/Nero/Costa every day whilst at uni then apply somewhere with much lower accomodation costs because you will not afford it at Durham.

*general grumpy mutterings*
Reply 9
I didn't care for the starbucks drinks very much this summer. I went there for the cakes and the air-conditioning.
Stockton has a starbucks, there for it must be better than the main campus:wink: :biggrin:

(lights fuse and walks away :p: )
Can i just say... Nero soooo charges extra for decaf and Costa reheats their milk. ewww. :tongue: sorry i am kinda biased. haha
Reply 12
elyim
Coffee, ew.

What she said :smile:
Yes, there are plenty of pretentious coffeeshops in Durham. Perhaps you should invest in a cafetiere or espresso machine and buy coffee beans from a company that doesn't exploit third world farmers.
I am actually addicted to Starbucks as well (or I was). In sixth form I literally went at least 2-3 times a week. But I have survived a whole term at Durham (including several visits to Costa, Riverside Café, Chemistry Café [DSU Starbucks franchise])....

2-3 times a week! Crikey ^o)
During exam time last year, three of us (yes, we are physicists, stereotypically) were getting through half a bag of coffee in a day (which works out to about 7 cups each). That comedown was NOT fun. Thankfully now I've moved on to about 2-3 cups of tea a day at most now, which is much better for you than coffee.
Reply 14
I read today in The Times that adding milk to tea counteracts all its health benefits.
Reply 15
What are the "health benefits" of tea? :confused:

(I ask because I like my tea quite milky, lol!)
Antioxidant properties and hydration mainly.
Reply 17
Oh. Sounds delightful.

I think I'll stick with the milk for now :smile:
Mattmoy_2000

2-3 times a week! Crikey ^o)

lol :dito:
Reply 19
Mattmoy_2000
Yes, there are plenty of pretentious coffeeshops in Durham. Perhaps you should invest in a cafetiere or espresso machine and buy coffee beans from a company that doesn't exploit third world farmers.

Coffee machines are awesome. I got my bf one last Xmas and it makes really nice coffee, and it's fun to try out loads of different types of coffee and experiement making you own mochas and stuff!
You can get them fairly reasonably priced on Amazon. :smile:

Latest