The Student Room Group

A level help :(

Hi everyone,

So i'm going to be staring my a levels in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths in sixth form this September and would like to study an engineering science at uni. I'm debating whether to do further maths as a fifth A level. My school only allows a max of 4 subjects at AS because that is what they can fit into time slots on top of Core PE, frees and supervised study, so taking an additional a level, in my case Further Maths would mean that I would have to self study and just do the exam(s).

Is it Do-able? and is it even worth it?

Further Maths is highly regarded for engineering degrees, and I worry that this may cost my entrance into a good uni, such as Imperial or Cambridge.

Thoughts/ comments/ experiences are appreciated.

Thank you in advance :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mareyak
Hi everyone,

So i'm going to be staring my a levels in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths in sixth form this September and would like to study an engineering science at uni. I'm debating whether to do further maths as a fifth A level. My school only allows a max of 4 subjects at AS because that is what they can fit into time slots on top of Core PE, frees and supervised study, so taking an additional a level, in my case Further Maths would mean that I would have to self study and just do the exam(s).

Further Maths is highly regarded for engineering degrees, and I worry that this may cost my entrance into a good uni, such as Imperial or Cambridge.

Hey, I'm starting my A-levels in september too. I'm also going to be taking FM, and it looks quite challenging.. So my advice is, you might want to drop biology as doing both physics and chemistry would still put you in a good place :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by AminaOfAsgard
Hey, I'm starting my A-levels in september too. I'm also going to be taking FM, and it looks quite challenging.. So my advice is, you might want to drop biology as doing both physics and chemistry would still put you in a good place :smile:

The only reason i'm doing bio is just in case i change my mind and decide to go into medicine hahah, I enjoy it as well, but being the indecisive person I am means that I need some sort of back up lol.

But since FM is quite challenging I don't think i'll be able to self-teach :/
Original post by mareyak
The only reason i'm doing bio is just in case i change my mind and decide to go into medicine hahah, I enjoy it as well, but being the indecisive person I am means that I need some sort of back up lol.

Again, I'm pretty sure biology isn't necessary (although very useful) to do medicine as long as you have chemistry and another science? correct me if i'm wrong :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by mareyak
Hi everyone,

Yep further maths is recommended for most engineering subjects at uni's such as imperial and Cambridge . I'd suggest that you switch bio for FM because its not as important . However you could do 5 AS subjects, it's do-able but you would have to put in a lot of hard work over the course of the year and not just towards the start of your Exams .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mareyak
Hi everyone,

Further maths is tough but does look good on your UCAS, my friend who does further maths find it extremely difficult but says he would recommend it to those who like maths x
Original post by mareyak

Hey :smile: im currently doing 5 a levels including bio chem and maths and i wouldnt encourage it
further maths is the hardest alevel imo, there are only 2 people doing it at my school , they are very smart girls but they struggled to get Ds in the mocks(and that is with a teacher)

maybe you could get a tutor and do it but this is costly and time consuming
id say focus on the alevels youve got or take fm as an alternative to one of them

good luck with it :smile:

p.s if you want to do 5 do arabic as a fifth
It is doable and if you're applying to Cambridge I would recommend further maths. However, I think you're better of dropping Biology. I'm applying to Cambridge medicine and they did say having 5 AS levels made no difference and honestly - it's not worth the drain. Especially considering you want to get the highest UMS score possible. Best of luck x :redface:
Reply 8
Original post by AminaOfAsgard
Again, I'm pretty sure biology isn't necessary (although very useful) to do medicine as long as you have chemistry and another science? correct me if i'm wrong :smile:

Yeah thats what i've been hearing from medicine applicants.
Reply 9
Original post by yasmin#2
Hey :smile: im currently doing 5 a levels including bio chem and maths and i wouldnt encourage it
further maths is the hardest alevel imo, there are only 2 people doing it at my school , they are very smart girls but they struggled to get Ds in the mocks(and that is with a teacher)

maybe you could get a tutor and do it but this is costly and time consuming
id say focus on the alevels youve got or take fm as an alternative to one of them

good luck with it :smile:

p.s if you want to do 5 do arabic as a fifth

Thank youu :smile:

I looked at an edexcel arabic past paper and died! I don't think my vocab is good enough. But I might do it and just learn a bunch of words haha
Reply 10
Original post by BioStudentx
It is doable and if you're applying to Cambridge I would recommend further maths. However, I think you're better of dropping Biology. I'm applying to Cambridge medicine and they did say having 5 AS levels made no difference and honestly - it's not worth the drain. Especially considering you want to get the highest UMS score possible. Best of luck x :redface:

Thank you :smile:

What subjects are you taking?
Original post by mareyak
Thank you :smile:

What subjects are you taking?

Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths.
Original post by mareyak
Thank youu :smile:

I looked at an edexcel arabic past paper and died! I don't think my vocab is good enough. But I might do it and just learn a bunch of words haha

nah honestly youll be good at it!
AS is easy, a2 is a bit harder because its arabic literature but youre fluent so dw about it
Reply 13
Original post by Mo2351
Yep further maths is recommended for most engineering subjects at uni's such as imperial and Cambridge . I'd suggest that you switch bio for FM because its not as important . However you could do 5 AS subjects, it's do-able but you would have to put in a lot of hard work over the course of the year and not just towards the start of your Exams .

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't done FM at GCSE, would that put me at a disadvantage if i do decide to take the course at AS?
Reply 14
Original post by yasmin#2
nah honestly youll be good at it!
AS is easy, a2 is a bit harder because its arabic literature but youre fluent so dw about it

I guess so, I think I might just sit the exam. Is there coursework involved like GCSE course? and does your school offer you proper arabic lessons?
anyone taking English language unit 1 alevels Edexcel or knows anyone taking it please I really need help~~~~
I would say the less a levels you do, the better, if you're aiming for top grades, 3 is all that's required its better to get AAA than ABBBC

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by BioStudentx
Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths.

ohh how are you finding them...If you've already started?
Original post by mareyak
I haven't done FM at GCSE, would that put me at a disadvantage if i do decide to take the course at AS?

I'm currently doing FM at GCSE (the AQA level 2 qualification), so I kind of do have a head start. However, I know girls that haven't taken it but are still going to take FM AS. :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by mareyak

It all depends on you but GCSE FM certainly would help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest