What do you do

I have done and do
French
Geography
Textiles
Re (we were forced to do short course)
Additional Science
Original post by aamirac
I think the last minute revision is freaking you out...past papers...It allows you do know what you know and don't know so when you do get into the exam. You know the answers to all the questions. Not the ones you conveniently looked at minutes before and not know the answers to the other ones because you couldn't be bothered too :unimpressed:

Original post by GrappleX
Lol, Are you high? Past papers is the MOST important thing to do.Posted from TSR Mobile

In the long run maybe, but this was for someone who was doing very last minute revision. When that is the case, doing a past paper is useless as you'll be wasting time sitting there going 'oh I don't know this' then if you have a go you're practicing the answers that probably won't be right. If thats the only form of revision you do and don't actually learn the stuff first then there's no point in practicing those answers. On the other hand if you do learn the content to a point where you can confidently complete a past paper then why do that just before the exam. By all means look at past papers to get an idea of what kinds of questions come up but don't waste time actually filling them in unless you have a mark scheme in front of you.
Original post by Segsation
In the long run maybe, but this was for someone who was doing very last minute revision. When that is the case, doing a past paper is useless as you'll be wasting time sitting there going 'oh I don't know this' then if you have a go you're practicing the answers that probably won't be right. If thats the only form of revision you do and don't actually learn the stuff first then there's no point in practicing those answers. On the other hand if you do learn the content to a point where you can confidently complete a past paper then why do that just before the exam. By all means look at past papers to get an idea of what kinds of questions come up but don't waste time actually filling them in unless you have a mark scheme in front of you.

When we say 'do past papers' we do mean to mark them too!
Or at least get someone else to mark it for you!
Original post by JSDhaliwal
I know I'm utterly stupid for leaving revision this late but I'm just a really bad procrastinator and just didn't realize what an idiot I was being. I'm going to cut to the chase, I have 6 days till my exams kick in fully and at the moment I'm expecting myself to get mostly Bs and As which simply isn't good enough as I aspire to be a dentist. I need your advice on how to get a ton of revision done quickly and efficiently, I don't care if it means I'll be stuck to my revision book all day but I just need to be as efficient as possible. Please give me advice on what to do as i want at least mostly all A grades and a few A* but I'm really panicking and I'm unsure about whether I'll be able to fill this life long aspiration. Please help, I need it.

It's great doing past papers but if you do them them make sure you mark yourself critically and learn from the mistakes you made. The most infuriating thing is to see a question that you've done before but not remember how to answer it. good luck:smile:
Original post by aamirac
When we say 'do past papers' we do mean to mark them too!
Or at least get someone else to mark it for you!

Yeah but if marking them is what helps you then why not cut to the chase and just look at mark schemes rather than just guessing. the better you know the mark scheme the more you know how the examiner thinks. That doesn't come from marking answers that may not be right and bending your interpretation of them to fit the mark scheme because most examiners won't do that
Original post by Segsation
Yeah but if marking them is what helps you then why not cut to the chase and just look at mark schemes rather than just guessing. the better you know the mark scheme the more you know how the examiner thinks. That doesn't come from marking answers that may not be right and bending your interpretation of them to fit the mark scheme because most examiners won't do that

I guess you could do that, but I don't have super memory to learn all the markscheme. I'm more practical so I have to do it to understand it, I find I learn answers and techniques better that way. Plus if you do past papers it gives you an idea of how you'd do in the exam.
I need to do a past paper now...

Quick Reply

Latest