The Student Room Group

AQA English Language and Literature (ELLB3) - 11th June 2015

Hey everyone!

I have been searching for a thread to do with this exam, but have been completely out of luck, so I decided on creating this one.

I was wondering if anyone had any information such as a plan on how to tackle section A of the exam (seen texts). I am doing King Lear, but any advise on any of the available texts would be brilliant!

Also I have a structure on how to answer section B (unseen), if anyone would like a copy.

Thanks, and good luck in all your exams!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Yates_96
Hey everyone!

I have been searching for a thread to do with this exam, but have been completely out of luck, so I decided on creating this one.

I was wondering if anyone had any information such as a plan on how to tackle section A of the exam (seen texts). I am doing King Lear, but any advise on any of the available texts would be brilliant!

Also I have a structure on how to answer section B (unseen), if anyone would like a copy.

Thanks, and good luck in all your exams!

Could you send me a copy of your plan for the unseen please? I have this exam too but I'm doing The Crucible. I'm so worried about the unseen question it's unreal!
Reply 2
The unseen plan I have is:

P1. Introduction:
Outline of the text, the purpose and the audience, so for the talk in life the audience will just be the speakers unless it's a recorded conversation.

P2. Talk in life:
Talk about features that have been used to represent talk in life, so non fluency features, adjacency pairs, interruptions etc.

P3. Theorists:
Apply two or three theories to each text, from grices maxims to lakoffs politeness principles etc.

P4. Attitudes and values:
This is the section where you try and say what you haven't so far. Talk about what a person's characteristics are like, and how they may feel in terms if relationships being shown. Use of imperatives etc.

P5. Conclusion:
Was the conversation as we expected? The right schema etc? And a brief summary of what the text shows.

Always compare throughout, and make sure you don't make the mistake of talking about section B as a piece of real text. Always refer to author, what this shows and purpose.

Hope this helps! :smile:
I'm also doing the Crucible, I just don't know how to revise for this exam does anyone have any tips?
I know to look over theorists and terminology as I feel like they're the most important things in both parts of the exam.
I will look over the context of the Crucible so I'm able to bring that in. I've made revision notes on the signs and symbols of the Crucible, and I know what happens in each act of the play. The only other thing I feel like I can do is just re-read the play.

Does anyone have any tips?
I feel exactly the same way! My advice would be do a mind map on A3 paper on each act and write things like possible steers, the main events that occur, character development and then try and link it all back to context. I'm really hoping this years steer is fear or a theocratic society, I'd hate if something to do with the court like injustice came up but my teacher reckons Act 3 is gonna come up as that's the only one that hasn't been on a past paper yet :frown:
This has helped a lot thank you very much! Do you have a copy of the theorists you are using? I only have 4 main ones and I don't think it's enough :frown:
Heya, how long would you recommend for planning time?
Original post by EnglishKing
This has helped a lot thank you very much! Do you have a copy of the theorists you are using? I only have 4 main ones and I don't think it's enough :frown:

I only have 4 theorists too!
Original post by GirllScoutt
Heya, how long would you recommend for planning time?

Spend about 5-10 minutes planning each, giving you an adequate amount of time for the essay (that's what we've been told) :smile:
Original post by skelliwog
Spend about 5-10 minutes planning each, giving you an adequate amount of time for the essay (that's what we've been told) :smile:

Thanks! Yeah I was thinking 5 - 10 minutes! as the idea of this exam is to get a structured essay rather than just dribble xD Thanks again!
I'd recommend people don't bang on about theory too much - past examiners reports have found many students almost exclusively talk about theory rather than terminology. I'm making sure there is a balance.
Reply 11
Does anybody have a list of key theories please? I'm quite limited at the moment.
Lackoff
Leech
Labvon
Tannen
Cameron
Grice
Goffman
Herbert
Reply 13
There's also:

Zimmerman and West - parents interrupt children to assert dominance
Coates - epistemic modality in women to avoid face threatening acts.
Sinclair and Coulthard - Orientation, directing a conversation a certain way
Brown and Levinson - Positive and negative face, to what extent are they putting on a show to be liked by others
Reply 14
Thank you guys, I really appreciate it. How will you be answering part A by the way, and what theories do you anticipate would be best applicable in the answer. I am woefully under-prepared for this exam so am extremely grateful for any help.
Theory only applies to spontaneous talk and you can still get an A on the exam without it. Part A just remember to analyse devices and link to the steer, it's part B that scares me!
Reply 16
Also what can be commented on for part B? I have an awful lot on gender roles/differences in speech, but what else could come up? Parents vs Children? Employer vs Employee? any more examples?.. thanks!
Reply 17
Original post by eloisewalkerx
Theory only applies to spontaneous talk and you can still get an A on the exam without it. Part A just remember to analyse devices and link to the steer, it's part B that scares me!

So there is little point in trying to apply theories to part A? Do you have a list of key devices by any chance, I have got some good ones, but want to ensure I haven't missed any out.
Definitely don't in part A, focus on your literary, rhetorical and linguistic devices as this is what the question asks for. My teacher told me to look for terms of address and tone of voice especially in part A then look at things like in AFOREST and lexical choices. Try and include audience perception and why the playwright does this. Also write a short paragraph at the beginning with 2/3 examples as to where the steer appears in the rest of the play then another short paragraph explaining where it's evident in the extract as they ask to see clear knowledge of the play as a whole :smile:
If anyone has any clear revision resources, would they mind posting them? Such as a list of key words and their meaning and a list of relevant theorists.

I think everyone included myself will find that extremely useful - I've lost all mine so I'm a bit up slack alley...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending