The Student Room Group

English Language lose marks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Xzreplay
Did you put slang in writing section (q5/6)? Since if you put it on the reading section it would not be counted since they don't look at slang or SPAG. Also what type of slang words did you use?

I used slang in q5. I kinda forgot what I wrote though sorry!
Reply 21
Original post by NK_26
I used slang in q5. I kinda forgot what I wrote though sorry!

Also for your mock you put the slang in the writing section, right? and you didn't lose marks?
I mean, examiners are very strict these days so any little mistake they see they will use it against you.

Not always, I once made a mistake in an English exam, I scribbled it out instead of neatly crossing it out, didn't lose any marks for it so it's not always the case. :wink:
Reply 23
Original post by NK_26
Btw for q4 do we have to compare language features that are used in both texts? Or can we use two completely different language features and compare their effects?

I couldn't find any similar devices so I only had one paragraph which compared a device used by both sources. The next 3 were paragraphs that only explained the effects of the language device of a single source. Will that get me at least 8/16?

Yes, I have also not found a lot of similarities however I have talked about the different types of language techniques the writers mostly used. e.g text 1 used a lot of facts and opinion whereas text 3 had a lot of metaphor and emotive language and I said how it has affected the readers and why the writers chose those techniques. I think you should be fine as long as you have compared both of the text. It doesn't have to be similarities, it can also be differences which you said you have done. The important part is to identify the language feature, say why it's being used and the effect it has on the reader. If you have done that you should be fine. 8/16 is possible.
I dont think you`ll lose marks, provided the examiner knows what it means and does not think its a SPaG
mistake
Reply 26
Original post by Endian Chief
Not always, I once made a mistake in an English exam, I scribbled it out instead of neatly crossing it out, didn't lose any marks for it so it's not always the case. :wink:

The problem is that I have used the word "omg" in q5 of my exam and I was asked to write a blog, however I later realised after the exam finished that I wrote slang and I'm worried I might lose marks because of that.
Reply 27
Also for your mock you put the slang in the writing section, right? and you didn't lose marks?

Nope I'm sure I got like 14/16 or something.
Reply 28
Original post by glad-he-ate-her
I dont think you`ll lose marks, provided the examiner knows what it means and does not think its a SPaG

What if they are like 50 years and they are like very formal and when they see the word they just think that I don't know how to spell the abbreviated word and might give me a lower mark because of that.
they wont remove one mark because of one spelling error! you need to relax
Reply 30
Original post by glad-he-ate-her
they wont remove one mark because of one spelling error! you need to relax

Haha! thanks.
The problem is that I have used the word "omg" in q5 of my exam and I was asked to write a blog, however I later realised after the exam finished that I wrote slang and I'm worried I might lose marks because of that.

If it relates to the language used by that particular age group, then it therefore relates to the question asked, so they can't really put you down for it as long as you didn't overdo it with the slang.
Reply 32
Original post by Endian Chief
If it relates to the language used by that particular age group, then it therefore relates to the question asked, so they can't really put you down for it as long as you didn't overdo it with the slang.

Most of the exam was relating to young people, it did not say anything about teenagers on that question but since the paper was related to teenagers and does that mean that slang was appropriate to use at that content?
Reply 33
The question did not say anything about teenagers however it said to "write a blog on a memorable experience which affected you in some way" so i dont know who the audience really were. Will that make a difference?

Normally, if the audience isnt specified, youre allowed to choose who your writing is aimed at. Therefore, the marker will probably assume that youre aiming it at teenagers and since it is a quotation, you shouldnt get marked down :smile:
Reply 34
Original post by mlb71
Normally, if the audience isnt specified, youre allowed to choose who your writing is aimed at. Therefore, the marker will probably assume that youre aiming it at teenagers and since it is a quotation, you shouldnt get marked down :smile:

Wow! you know a lot about the exam.Have you done your exam today or you already done it before? you seem like you have had experience in putting in slang in the writing section of the paper and not losing any marks :smile:
Most of the exam was relating to young people, it did not say anything about teenagers on that question but since the paper was related to teenagers and does that mean that slang was appropriate to use at that content?

I have an older sister in that age group so a little slang is still appropriate.
Reply 36
Wow! you know a lot about the exam.Have you done your exam today or you already done it before? you seem like you have had experience in putting in slang in the writing section of the paper and not losing any marks :smile:

I did it today but our teacher always tells us to think about the audience we are aiming our work at - i havent personally used any slang in mine but i wouldnt have thought youd lose marks for it
Reply 37
Original post by mlb71
I did it today but our teacher always tells us to think about the audience we are aiming our work at - i havent personally used any slang in mine but i wouldnt have thought youd lose marks for it

Thanks a lot.
did u guys take English lang Edexcel as-level?
As far as I am aware exams are marked in a postive Mark scheme so you do not loose Marks for saying words like omg , it also matters which context you were using it in . Because that could of stopped you gaining a mark not loosing a mark. Only in 2016 will they bring in negative Mark schemes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending