The Student Room Group

1 mark off an 9 should I get a remark?

yesterday I received my igcse exam results that i sat in oct/nov.
For English First Language I noticed in my breakdown i'm 1 mark off an 9!
I got 116 marks which is an 8 and for a 9 you would need 117 marks.
Is it worth getting remarked? Surely if it gets remarked and I lose marks then I wouldn't go right down to a 7 because I'm so close to a 9. But there may be a chance I could score a 9.
Advice would be appreciated!
Original post by faithincuteness1
Is it worth getting remarked? Surely if it gets remarked and I lose marks then I wouldn't go right down to a 7 because I'm so close to a 9. But there may be a chance I could score a 9.

Given that a 9 and an 8 are treated exactly the same by all unis, what advantage would there be? Is it important enough to you?

I think a 1 mark difference could be changed in a remark, especially because it is English and not a subject like maths. I would go for it, as you said you are very very unlikely to drop down a grade to a 7, and seeing as you work so hard for these exams, why would you not, if you are 1 mark off!
you may as well try! you never know. 8 is amazing though, fantastic work!
Original post by booklover1313
I think a 1 mark difference could be changed in a remark, especially because it is English and not a subject like maths. I would go for it, as you said you are very very unlikely to drop down a grade to a 7, and seeing as you work so hard for these exams, why would you not, if you are 1 mark off!

Nah 9=8 when it comes to how it is regarded by unis, there is no point trying to get the test marked again.
We don't know what will happen, so it is better to leave it as it is.
Original post by sufys12
Nah 9=8 when it comes to how it is regarded by unis, there is no point trying to get the test marked again.
We don't know what will happen, so it is better to leave it as it is.

Yeah but there is personal satisfaction and academic validation in getting a 9! It's not just about unis!

Hi there - hope you’re having a great time at uni. Would you mind letting us know whether you appealed and if your 8 was changed to a 9? Personally I think being one mark away should not happen they should have given you a 9! Thanks a lot for letting us know!!!

Quick Reply

Latest