The Student Room Group

Is it better to find out who your flatmates will be before you go to Uni or not?

Is it better to know who they are first so it saves awkwardness or is it better to save all the surprises until you actually see them in person?
Reply 1
I think I'll leave it until I arrive because it's better, in my opinion, to make first impressions in person. However if I get too excited I might be tempted to find out who they are going to be...
Reply 2
Original post by Willff
I think I'll leave it until I arrive because it's better, in my opinion, to make first impressions in person. However if I get too excited I might be tempted to find out who they are going to be...

I'm thinking exactly what you've just said.
It doesn't matter in the slightest
Reply 4
I found that those who found out before, were less nervous as they sort of had someone to talk to right away/hang with, at the start.
Doesn't really matter either way
I know it can be quite daunting but it doesn't really matter as you’re all in the same boat and that gives you something to bond over :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by riq23
I found that those who found out before, were less nervous as they sort of had someone to talk to right away/hang with, at the start.

Ah ok
Reply 8
Original post by Derwent Students
I know it can be quite daunting but it doesn't really matter as you’re all in the same boat and that gives you something to bond over :smile:

Good answer thanks.
I just waited until I got there. A lot of people on the freshers' page were chatting and stuff but I wanted to just do it in person as I find it less intimidating. One thing I did look at was the list of my flatmates and their courses just to see if anyone was doing my course so I knew if I had someone to walk to lectures with.
I FBed with them before i moved in. Made no difference tbh.
Original post by northeast
Is it better to know who they are first so it saves awkwardness or is it better to save all the surprises until you actually see them in person?

Personally, I think I will try to find some of my flat-mates before I go to University. Try to chat to a couple and see if we have some things in common. I will be sharing with 14 people. At least this way I will be able to talk to someone and hang about with them during the majorly awkward first day.
A lot of people will find each other over social networks before uni. Before I moved into my halls I knew everyone and we'd talk a lot over Facebook. :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by lewif002
Personally, I think I will try to find some of my flat-mates before I go to University. Try to chat to a couple and see if we have some things in common. I will be sharing with 14 people. At least this way I will be able to talk to someone and hang about with them during the majorly awkward first day.

Ah awesome I agree
Reply 14
Original post by Roving Fish
A lot of people will find each other over social networks before uni. Before I moved into my halls I knew everyone and we'd talk a lot over Facebook. :smile:

Yes I've just found out the University will introduce accommodation groups for which hall you are going into.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending