The Student Room Group

becoming a paramedic

if i was to become a pramedic would i need to do a levels and go to study the course at uni, or could i just join a course and train whilst i work?

how does the process work

thanks in advance
Original post by anongirl123456
if i was to become a pramedic would i need to do a levels and go to study the course at uni, or could i just join a course and train whilst i work?

how does the process work

thanks in advance

Most universities offer paramedic courses or emt (they are slightly different).
As with any uni course, you will need a-levels or some forms of study that meets the universities entry requirements.
However, do ensure that the course is accredited. It was only recently in the news that universities in the east of England are teaching courses that aren't registered therefore you can't become a registered paramedic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by deviant182
Most universities offer paramedic courses or emt (they are slightly different).
As with any uni course, you will need a-levels or some forms of study that meets the universities entry requirements.
However, do ensure that the course is accredited. It was only recently in the news that universities in the east of England are teaching courses that aren't registered therefore you can't become a registered paramedic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh sh** i hope i dont apply for the wrong uni and waste 3 years of my life, how could i check to see if the course is accredited. and is there another way of becoming a paramedic besides going to uni, is there a course?
oh sh** i hope i dont apply for the wrong uni and waste 3 years of my life, how could i check to see if the course is accredited. and is there another way of becoming a paramedic besides going to uni, is there a course?

It should be listed on the university website. The east of England universities have had trouble if you check the health section of BBC news. I believe it was there the article I read.
And nowadays it's a course at universities.
Some trusts still allow you to work up the ladder in becoming a paramedic, such as in ni where they don't offer the paramedic course.
You would have to look at local trusts but I do believe it's mainly at university where you spend the majority of your time on placement out in the ambulance gaining experience and then remaining time in class, with exams etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can search HCPC approved courses here: http://www.hpc-uk.org/education/programmes/register/

Original post by deviant182
Some trusts still allow you to work up the ladder in becoming a paramedic, such as in ni where they don't offer the paramedic course.

This is becoming increasingly rare, though some ambulance trusts do still do this, WMAS are putting techs through uni to train as paramedics, one of our HCAs recently left to join and do this.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest