The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Economics

I am doing Maths Chem Physics this year at AS, I think I will get a strong A in chemistry, borderline A in maths (slipped up in m1 but i'm good at maths, will go for an A* next year), and like a mid B in physics. I'm planning to drop physics and fast track economics a level next year. My gcse's were 5A*'s and 5A's.

My teachers have said they will predict me an A* in maths and chem and an A for the fast track economics (this prediction is based on a variety of factors during my school life).

I am not able to take further maths even up to an AS.

I will try and write a very good personal statement and will use the fast track economics to show that enthusiasm for the course. But do I not have a chance at LSE/UCL because of the lack of FM?i would prefer UCL out of the two :smile:
I didn't do further maths or economics and have got an offer from ucl and an offer for economics and econ history at lse :smile: I'm doing history maths and chemistry and did biology at as :smile: so yeah you should have a strong chance as long as your predictions and scores are good (they ask for maths ums)

Posted from TSR Mobile
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by Gcseboy1997
I didn't do further maths or economics and have got an offer from ucl and an offer for economics and econ history at lse :smile: I'm doing history maths and chemistry and did biology at as :smile: so yeah you should have a strong chance as long as your predictions and scores are good (they ask for maths ums)

Posted from TSR Mobile

hey, thanks for the reply, do they place a lot of emphasis on the maths ums? because i didn't do too well on M1 because i just messed up the exam but i am planning to resit that module anyway and i will work towards the A* next year :smile:
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
hey, thanks for the reply, do they place a lot of emphasis on the maths ums? because i didn't do too well on M1 because i just messed up the exam but i am planning to resit that module anyway and i will work towards the A* next year :smile:

I dont think they care too much about the applied. I got 100 in c1, 94 in c2, 74 in s1 and 84 in m1 :smile: and I haven't retook any

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, can I ask what grades you got at AS and what you were predicted? And which offer did you firm? :smile:
Hey, can I ask what grades you got at AS and what you were predicted? And which offer did you firm? :smile:

4A's at AS, 3A* predicted and I firmed UCL, insured LSE :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
4A's at AS, 3A* predicted and I firmed UCL, insured LSE :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, very good :biggrin:
Any specific reason for firming UCL over LSE? :
Wow, very good :biggrin:
Any specific reason for firming UCL over LSE? :

I thought the degree was better since it was straight economics, and there wasn't actually any difference in the number of people getting into good postgrads and investment banking positions between LSE and UCL :smile: also league tables seemed conflicted about which was better, especially internationally

Posted from TSR Mobile
I thought the degree was better since it was straight economics, and there wasn't actually any difference in the number of people getting into good postgrads and investment banking positions between LSE and UCL :smile: also league tables seemed conflicted about which was better, especially internationally

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh i see, i thought you would be interested in econ history since you took it at A level :tongue:
I'm going to visit ucl in september probably (waiting list for 3rd july) so will check out economics. :smile:

Also, did they ask you for ums in any other subjects other than maths? I think i got a strong A in chemistry (270-280 ums) and was thinking if I could include that to maybe tip things in my favour a bit?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending