The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial Successes = Oxbridge Rejects!!!

I got an offer (AAA) at oxford to read physics. I also got an offer of AAB to read physics at Imperial. About couple of days after the Imp interview I got my jan mod results and it turned out that I effectively got As in both maths and further maths, so applying to oxford and imperial were equally risky.

So I emailed the admins tutor (politly) asking him whether Imp would still be prepared to give me a place if I didn’t get my A in physics but instead I got a good telling off: the best part of the email detailed of how Imperial is just as good as oxford if not better!

What a joke. For a university which prides itself over academic excellence by looking at A Level predicted grades (I know so many retards out there who’ve ACHEIVED four As!), they could take a step back and think about it! Oxford puts you thru a week of interviews and tests and really selects the best people.

Scroll to see replies

Originally posted by cayley-hamilton
I got an offer (AAA) at oxford to read physics. I also got an offer of AAB to read physics at Imperial. About couple of days after the Imp interview I got my jan mod results and it turned out that I effectively got As in both maths and further maths, so applying to oxford and imperial were equally risky.

So I emailed the admins tutor (politly) asking him whether Imp would still be prepared to give me a place if I didn’t get my A in physics but instead I got a good telling off: the best part of the email detailed of how Imperial is just as good as oxford if not better!

What a joke. For a university which prides itself over academic excellence by looking at A Level predicted grades (I know so many retards out there who’ve ACHEIVED four As!), they could take a step back and think about it! Oxford puts you thru a week of interviews and tests and really selects the best people.

One question, did you tell the admin tutor that you were holding an Oxford offer ? If you didn't then ICL should not know this detail - and have NO reason to know where else you have to apply to. Doing so, leaves, as you have found out, biased responses.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Originally posted by Expression
One question, did you tell the admin tutor that you were holding an Oxford offer ? If you didn't then ICL should not know this detail - and have NO reason to know where else you have to apply to. Doing so, leaves, as you have found out, biased responses.

Yes I did tell him that I was holding an oxford offer. Only oxford or cambridge set an offer of AAA (in physics anyway) so I thought stating the university is more honest saying "I've got an offer from another university with 3As". All this because ICL sets almost as high offers and I wanted it to be my insurance.
Reply 3
Actually I think Durham usually ask for AAA in physics.
Reply 4
cayley-hamilton

Imperial are kinda stiff that way. Basicly you either get the grades or you get out. Oxford and Cambridge has interviews etc , which gives them the opportunity to pick the students they want even if they do not meet the grades.
Jonatan
Imperial are kinda stiff that way. Basicly you either get the grades or you get out. Oxford and Cambridge has interviews etc , which gives them the opportunity to pick the students they want even if they do not meet the grades.

Thats SO TRUE, my mate was 4 marks off getting into imperial, and they rejected him!!!! so hes at UCL now doing civil enginerring.
Reply 6
a lot of top unis dont like to be seen as the unis for oxbridge rejects, i know theyre quite touchy about it at the lse and warwick and im sure its the same for others. in fact sometimes oxbridge candidates arent given offers bcoz its feared theyll reject offers from other unis - an admissions tutor actually said this!
Reply 7
That's true. I know that at Imperial some people were asked whether they would have Imperial as first choice if they were given an offer.

It puts candiates in a bad situation and seems really unfair to me, but I can kinda understand why unis want to know whether someone really wants to go there or not, and don't want to be seen as 2nd fiddle to any other university.
Reply 8
Apparently this was the reason Bristol gave to a friend of mine when he emailed them concerning his rejection.This was reinforced by talking to the people up for interview at Oxford as the majority had been rejected from Bristol,myself included.Must find out if he has it in writing.
Loki
Apparently this was the reason Bristol gave to a friend of mine when he emailed them concerning his rejection.This was reinforced by talking to the people up for interview at Oxford as the majority had been rejected from Bristol,myself included.Must find out if he has it in writing.

I was rejected from all universities except Cambridge - but that was before the confidentiality rules came in whereby the unis dont find out where-else you apply.
I hear some places are doing it on the sly in the interview
very unsettling
J
Reply 10
Jonatan

dont think that oxbridge is totally fair with all the interviews and that they offer equal opportunities even if you don't have the grades. i know of a friend who was overqualified for cambridge (if that is even possible...) i.e. she had a higher grade than what they wanted for international applicants and was rejected. her interview was not a total disaster or anything. and when she asked for a reason they did not give her one, nor did they send her an interview report.

now that's what i call unfair. nevertheless, she's having a blast at imperial so screw them.

and besides, it's not like imperial does not have interviews...
Reply 11
Jonatan

Actually Imperial interview too, at least for my department (computing). And, they haven't accepted me on the basis of my grades either because my predictions are a little lower than their standard offer of 3As for my subject. (Basically they offered me my prediction aab).

However, both Imperial and UCL asked me if they were my first choice. It didn't really matter though because I made it clear I wasn't applying to oxbridge and fortunatley recieved offers from both.
Reply 12
If you get asked about it at interview, then you dont have to tell them, interviewers have asked me questions like 'So have you had offers from elsewhere' and I just replied 'Yes', if hed of asked me anymore/who had given me offers, I would of just said, youre not supposed to know, sorry. Its not that hard to stop them finding out where youve applied to..
BossLady
Actually Imperial interview too, at least for my department (computing). And, they haven't accepted me on the basis of my grades either because my predictions are a little lower than their standard offer of 3As for my subject. (Basically they offered me my prediction aab).

However, both Imperial and UCL asked me if they were my first choice. It didn't really matter though because I made it clear I wasn't applying to oxbridge and fortunatley recieved offers from both.

but whats the difference?

if they ask, "is imperial your 1st choice", why cant u say yes even if u are applying to oxbridge and thats really ur first choice?

why not?

there is no contract, and you are entitled to say whether it is or not, even if u lie.

u sign nothing, and it makes no difference - u can reject them later if u want, tough luck on them if you lied.
Reply 14
bono

if they ask, "is imperial your 1st choice", why cant u say yes even if u are applying to oxbridge and thats really ur first choice?

why not?

there is no contract, and you are entitled to say whether it is or not, even if u lie.

u sign nothing, and it makes no difference - u can reject them later if u want, tough luck on them if you lied.

Exactly
Reply 15
bono

why not?

but what if they reject you then, bcoz you said they're your 2nd choice and you are consuquently rejected by oxbridge.

that sucks.
frappucino
but what if they reject you then, bcoz you said they're your 2nd choice and you are consuquently rejected by oxbridge.

that sucks.

exactly, just say that they are your 1st choice, then reject them later on if u get an oxford offer.

just lie, u can say what u want.
frappucino

that sucks.

no it doesnt - anyone with any sense would say "yes, imperial is definitely my 1st choice."

saying "no, i'd rather go to oxford than here" is just stupid, and u deserve to be rejected if u r so silly as to tell the truth.
Reply 18
I dont understand what the big problem is, perhaps some of you are so wrapped up in getting AAAAA that you dont have any common sense.....
Reply 19
frappucino
dont think that oxbridge is totally fair with all the interviews and that they offer equal opportunities even if you don't have the grades. i know of a friend who was overqualified for cambridge (if that is even possible...) i.e. she had a higher grade than what they wanted for international applicants and was rejected. her interview was not a total disaster or anything. and when she asked for a reason they did not give her one, nor did they send her an interview report.

I believe the only way to be over qualified at cambridge is to already have a masters degree awarded already, I think I read a case once where they weren't giving someone a degree 'formally' because of some archaic rule such as that... the point being it's impossible to be 'over qualified'.
They may offer AAA/AAB but in reality most people I know exceeded that, generally by some margin.

Having said that they probably ought to have given her referees an interview report.

Alaric.

Latest

Trending

Trending