The Student Room Group

Summer 2016 Applications

Scroll to see replies

Original post by e^x
Just checked I think they are. Took a look at the online form, need a cover letter. Do u know the application process for Greenhill?

When do you think would be a good time to send of the application for greenhill?

Try and send it off as soon as possible (especially for boutiques) HR will receive a small amount of apps for the moment but these apps will be the best of the best something to keep in mind.

Phone interview- 30 mins, First round, final round--> Offer
Original post by Fas
Hey, thanks for the reply!

Ah ok I see. Do you mind if I ask which firm you're currently working for?

How did you find the entire application process for the industrial placement? Which area are you working in right now? I'm in 2 minds over whether to submit a 1-page CV or a 2-page one! The only difference between the two is that in the 1-page one, I've removed all the bullet points stating what I did in each experience, but just left a brief overview of each one, whilst the 2-page one includes everything.

Thanks a lot for agreeing to answer my queries!

Currently working for Citi, in the FX department of Technology - not quite the same as the front office, but I will be working at the trading floor at some point. :smile:

For me, I had contacts and so was able to go to the early assessment centre. (This is particularly useful as they hire on a rolling basis), I had to complete some online tests in early September, and then was called back to the final assessment centre early November. Heard the next day. Banks are usually okay with 2-page CVs, it allows you to put in more information about yourself. We actually got given a booklet from university and we were recommended to use a 2-page CV. You should include everything, as the CV is what you use to get them interested in hiring you - leaving out potentially crucial information could be the cost of getting the job.
Reply 182
Original post by gr8wizard10
depends on what area you're interested and what lev of depth you want.

Okay, what about equity research, risk, m&a and global markets? I want to know everything about these.
Original post by gr8wizard10
1 page, only list down few exp you can explain. You don't need 5 internships on ur cv

Ok so you're saying less actual experiences on the CV, but 2-3 bullet points explaining each one, rather than 4-5 but no bullet points explaining?
Off topic now. Gotten a 2.2 in my first year. Non target too. Although I am interested in MO roles. Would first year grades hinder my chances up to a large extent? I reckon Nomura asks for first year grades. But apart from that anyone who's currently on a summer internship or completed one, can let me know? Cheers
Original post by Heptapus
Currently working for Citi, in the FX department of Technology - not quite the same as the front office, but I will be working at the trading floor at some point. :smile:

For me, I had contacts and so was able to go to the early assessment centre. (This is particularly useful as they hire on a rolling basis), I had to complete some online tests in early September, and then was called back to the final assessment centre early November. Heard the next day. Banks are usually okay with 2-page CVs, it allows you to put in more information about yourself. We actually got given a booklet from university and we were recommended to use a 2-page CV. You should include everything, as the CV is what you use to get them interested in hiring you - leaving out potentially crucial information could be the cost of getting the job.

maybe for tech it differs but i can conclusively say I have never ever heard this to be true, the complete opposite for FO, one page cvs. a person asked an MS md at a talk way back in first term are the response was a laugh followed by if I can fit to one page you most definitely can. There is no chance that two page is better.
Original post by Fas
Ok so you're saying less actual experiences on the CV, but 2-3 bullet points explaining each one, rather than 4-5 but no bullet points explaining?

how will they know what on earth you did at the 4-5? ofc! you should have your 3 most recent with bps for each, that leaves me good space for extra currics etc too.
Original post by welcometoib
how will they know what on earth you did at the 4-5? ofc! you should have your 3 most recent with bps for each, that leaves me good space for extra currics etc too.

How important are extra curricular activities in comparison to internship experience?

I have 5 relevant finance internships on my resume which I want to keep, but I think not much extra curricular. Just stuff like tutoring for statistics, member of some finance clubs and elected member of the university board.

Due to the little space I described the EC very short. Should I leave one internship out and expand the EC?
Original post by Passion LF
How important are extra curricular activities in comparison to internship experience?

I have 5 relevant finance internships on my resume which I want to keep, but I think not much extra curricular. Just stuff like tutoring for statistics, member of some finance clubs and elected member of the university board.

Due to the little space I described the EC very short. Should I leave one internship out and expand the EC?

what ive seen from acs etc is those who are at oxbridge generally have one extra curric that they focus on, those outside, so lse ucl warwick etc have a much more all round cv so to speak. its not about in comparison, i guess its just about being able to maintain responsibilities in a variety of interests, thats what the ib wants from a candidate. they are hugely important, and when combined with internship experience, makes for a top cv.

tutorings good, so explain what specifically youve taught, a level or gcse etc, finance clubs is good, being on exec is very big,id put that at the top of the section for extra currics, explain what your role will entail, the size of the society so how many people youre responsible for etc. good luck :smile:
what ive seen from acs etc is those who are at oxbridge generally have one extra curric that they focus on, those outside, so lse ucl warwick etc have a much more all round cv so to speak. its not about in comparison, i guess its just about being able to maintain responsibilities in a variety of interests, thats what the ib wants from a candidate. they are hugely important, and when combined with internship experience, makes for a top cv.

tutorings good, so explain what specifically youve taught, a level or gcse etc, finance clubs is good, being on exec is very big,id put that at the top of the section for extra currics, explain what your role will entail, the size of the society so how many people youre responsible for etc. good luck :smile:

Top answer! Thank you for your good and fast reply.

In my case it would probably make more sense to list the three ECs, instead just one. I hope a one liner per point will be enough. I will definitely put your arguments in. Unfortunately there is nearly no more space left...
maybe for tech it differs but i can conclusively say I have never ever heard this to be true, the complete opposite for FO, one page cvs. a person asked an MS md at a talk way back in first term are the response was a laugh followed by if I can fit to one page you most definitely can. There is no chance that two page is better.

Yeah everyone I have spoken to have said that your cv should be one page. Even HR, VPs, MDs for MO and BO (everywhere basically) said it should be one page.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry if this post is little too cheeky, but does anyone have have a spreadsheet/list of all the opening dates for firms of IB/finance/risk sort of backgrounds.Or knows much about any that have opened up other than deloitte
Is the internships for corporate finance less competitive than IB/Big 4?
Original post by kingquang
Is the internships for corporate finance less competitive than IB/Big 4?

What do you mean? Corporate finance at a FTSE100/F500?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know when the banks have their first assessment centre?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 195
can some1 confirm that pwc summer 2016 internship hasn't opened for consulting?
You're right, it hasn't opened for Consulting. It just says the applications for 2015 have now closed.
Reply 197
Original post by NewtoIB123
You're right, it hasn't opened for Consulting. It just says the applications for 2015 have now closed.

Thanks, do u have any idea when it will open?
Original post by e^x
can some1 confirm that pwc summer 2016 internship hasn't opened for consulting?

they are going to do partner ints for their summer academy people first probably, then open up remaining spots.
It's a little early but have any applications opened for IB/PE/Consulting/Asset Management?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending