The Student Room Group

Summer 2016 Applications

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bloxorus
Try to go through the easier ones as fast as possible to leave more time for the harder ones. Just keep practicing and you'll improve steadily.

What practice tests are you using? I've noticed that the practice tests on Graduate Monkey actually have more questions to complete in the same timeframe compared to the real tests. In my experience the real tests are usually considerably easier than the practice test providers.

I know what you mean about the real ones being easier - I did one for PwC earlier today and that was better than the practice ones I had been doing.

Yeah Ive heard Graduate Monkey is good. I've been being a bit of a cheapskate and only practicing using free tests from places such as the SHL website, Numericalreasoningtest.org and assessmentday, but I think I'm gonna start using Graduate Monkey.

Thanks for the advice, will take it on board! Problem a lot of the tests Ive been using to practice with, they don't let you move back - which means you can't skip the question if its a hard one :/
Original post by Zzzyax

I received a Verbal test straight away for CS, wondering whats thats going to be like.

It was fairly common, you shouldn't be worried.

Original post by Fas
When doing these numerical tests do many people get 100% on them? I think it's just me being a complete retard, but I'll get through most of the questions fine with 1 or 2 hiccups due to the time pressure, but the last 2 questions or so I am usually rushed for time - and by rushed I mean left with 30 seconds to answer both. I'm usually getting anywhere between 65 and 75 with the occasional 80, but couple of my friends at Uni have mentioned they've been getting 100's and I'm not too sure where I've been going wrong in all honesty!

I think that I score 100% on most/all of them (except talentQ tests), but judging from my uni peers, who have asked me to help them before, this is definitely not so common. I guess it's just about how fast your are, since they're fairly simple, but you need to be really good in screening for information that you need and avoiding any unnecessary info. Therefore, if you're not feeling comfortable you should practice a bit more, and another advice is to apply for the banks you like the least first, and then apply for the ones you like more (so you can practice tests on the previous ones).

Best of luck!
Original post by marko.ko
It was fairly common, you shouldn't be worried.

I think that I score 100% on most/all of them (except talentQ tests), but judging from my uni peers, who have asked me to help them before, this is definitely not so common. I guess it's just about how fast your are, since they're fairly simple, but you need to be really good in screening for information that you need and avoiding any unnecessary info. Therefore, if you're not feeling comfortable you should practice a bit more, and another advice is to apply for the banks you like the least first, and then apply for the ones you like more (so you can practice tests on the previous ones).

Best of luck!

Yeah I think the screening of information tends to trip me up. Majority of times when I get the question wrong its because I make some silly mistake - such as missing a key detail somewhere in the question. Problem is once I realise this about 30 seconds in after getting an answer which doesn't match any of the options, you're pretty much screwed from that point :tongue:

Yeah, hopefully with practice I can reach that sort of stage. How much practice had you done before you started getting 100's? Best of luck to you too!
any tips on the Lazard verbal? seeing as so many people have done it :smile:
Reply 784
Thought i'd post this here, it's from wall street oasis. Some investment banking interview questions. Obviously UK interviews aren't usually technical, but it might be interesting to see if anyone can do it

company A acquires Company B. Assume all numbers below are inclusive of premium and synergies.LEVEL 1
Company A has PE of 10 and company B has PE of 8.
In an equity-swap deal, is the transaction Accretive or dilutive?LEVEL 2
Company A uses debt which has an after tax kd of 5% to acquire B.
A. Is the deal still (Accretive / dilutive) like in Level 1 question? More or less?
B. What after tax kd would make the deal approximately break even from an accretion perspective?LEVEL 3
Assume the companies are the same size (read: same EV) and other reasonable simplifying assumptions.
A. Without doing any math, what are some reasonable boundaries for the PE ratio of the PF entity?
B. How Accretive is the deal in Level 1 as a %? Is your PF PE ratio within the bounds you expected?LEVEL 4
Assume company A is twice the size of company B (read: EV A = EV B x 2).
A. Without doing any math is the deal more Accretive or less Accretive? What are the PE bounds in this case?
B. Now do the math and tell me exactly how Accretive it is. Does your answer make sense?
anyone heard back from Greenhill? got invite to numerical or not?
Original post by Fas
When doing these numerical tests do many people get 100% on them? I think it's just me being a complete retard, but I'll get through most of the questions fine with 1 or 2 hiccups due to the time pressure, but the last 2 questions or so I am usually rushed for time - and by rushed I mean left with 30 seconds to answer both. I'm usually getting anywhere between 65 and 75 with the occasional 80, but couple of my friends at Uni have mentioned they've been getting 100's and I'm not too sure where I've been going wrong in all honesty!

You don't get scored like that. It factors in your accuracy (how much you got right) and speed - relative to the other test takers. You're put into a percentile (i.e. you did better than 80% of the applicants) and that is you score. It's pretty much impossible to get 100th percentile, the max is 99th.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
You don't get scored like that. It factors in your accuracy (how much you got right) and speed - relative to the other test takers. You're put into a percentile (i.e. you did better than 80% of the applicants) and that is you score. It's pretty much impossible to get 100th percentile, the max is 99th.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This.
Can we pin it somewhere?
Original post by Princepieman

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah ok I see. I was talking about the raw % on the test :tongue:
Original post by Fas
Ah ok I see. I was talking about the raw % on the test :tongue:

well well well.........
For the people that were asking about AM, BlackRock is now open for apps
Reply 791
Original post by sazzabazza
For the people that were asking about AM, BlackRock is now open for apps

do you know the application process for blackrock?
Is Lazard an instant rejection post-numerical if you fail the tests?
Would I be at a disadvantage if I left my UBS, Lazard, Credit suisse and GS applications until mid-September? Given that they are already open.

Also is applying in mid-September fine for most other banks who open later? I assume most open around 1st Sep.
Original post by e^x
do you know the application process for blackrock?

Not really sorry. Perhaps a google search may yield some information?
Does anyone have any idea whether UBS will be opening up Summer places for PB and WM instead of just IB/S&T? Not sure whether to apply now or wait...

Original post by jamesrorytiffin
Is Lazard an instant rejection post-numerical if you fail the tests?

No, a couple of days. I think it's actually when you're assessed by recruitment.
Reply 796
Original post by Whispering Way
Would I be at a disadvantage if I left my UBS, Lazard, Credit suisse and GS applications until mid-September? Given that they are already open.

Also is applying in mid-September fine for most other banks who open later? I assume most open around 1st Sep.

I don't think theres any AC's yet, and telephone interviews are hardly starting; so leaving till mid September will make not much difference at all, despite them saying they accept on a rolling basis. Also it could be better to wait till u are back at uni to go to some of the networking events to add stuff to your application. To your second question, yes it doesn't make any difference. why don't you apply now btw?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 797
Original post by welcometoib
A couple of people have reccomended me short books but apart from that does anyone know of an excellent sort of guide to all the common technical sort of qs asked in ints/acs? assume dummys guide to technical level understanding lol.

Also for anyone who did DB process last year for IBD whats the process post app? thanks

Hey man,

Could you recommend me some books .... Preferably for a 'dummy' hahaha
Original post by LMSZ
Thought i'd post this here, it's from wall street oasis. Some investment banking interview questions. Obviously UK interviews aren't usually technical, but it might be interesting to see if anyone can do it

company A acquires Company B. Assume all numbers below are inclusive of premium and synergies.LEVEL 1
Company A has PE of 10 and company B has PE of 8.
In an equity-swap deal, is the transaction Accretive or dilutive?LEVEL 2
Company A uses debt which has an after tax kd of 5% to acquire B.
A. Is the deal still (Accretive / dilutive) like in Level 1 question? More or less?
B. What after tax kd would make the deal approximately break even from an accretion perspective?LEVEL 3
Assume the companies are the same size (read: same EV) and other reasonable simplifying assumptions.
A. Without doing any math, what are some reasonable boundaries for the PE ratio of the PF entity?
B. How Accretive is the deal in Level 1 as a %? Is your PF PE ratio within the bounds you expected?LEVEL 4
Assume company A is twice the size of company B (read: EV A = EV B x 2).
A. Without doing any math is the deal more Accretive or less Accretive? What are the PE bounds in this case?
B. Now do the math and tell me exactly how Accretive it is. Does your answer make sense?

Could do level 1 and 2, got stuck after that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 799
How worthwhile are the Graduate monkey packages? I have done well in numerical and verbal free tests, however I am not doing as well in logical and there appears to be less free tests available for that. Would you guys recommend the packages?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending