The Student Room Group

GMAT/GRE preparation courses

Scroll to see replies

Hi, thought i'd resurrect this thread instead of starting a new one - few questions on the GMAT for those who have taken it. Quick background, I need to score 700 on this to do the masters course I want and this summer I have a lot of free time so seriously considering taking it. I haven't done essay/grammar in about 2 years and i haven't done much quant in about 4 years. So..

1.) What are your recommendations to score highly, heard someone say stay away from kaplan?
2.) I have 2 months to prepare, where should i start and how can i maximise my mark?
3.) Is the quant extremely hard, baring in mind i havent done it for ages and need to score 50+!
4.) For those who have taken, whats it like, how long did you prepare and what websites/courses do you recommend?

All help is appreciated, thanks :smile:
1) Concur, avoid Kaplan and Princeton Review. Identify your strengths and weakness in all sections, work on problem solving. Example: If weak in Q, you need to boost Q score. To get 700, you need balance score in V & Q (80th percentile +). Time management for each question

2) Start now, GMAT/GRE websites suggest 100 hours in total over 6 weeks for studying and doing mock exams. Regular study habits

3) GMAT quant is harder than GRE quant. I think for poets, GRE quant is easier. Arts students can score Q155 (65th percentile) in GRE with some serious studying. Do mock exams. 700 GMAT is very high score for most B-Schools. Most have average of 640-680, a few have 700 (LBS, Insead)

4) Manhattan GMAT guides, Magoosh online Studying for GRE. Both replicates test well with tougher mock exams. Try to join a study group that meets once a week for problem solving/support. Little secret: I asked some admitted students and many admitted that they took the GMAT/GRE more than once to improve the score. Of course, you want to nail it first time as exam fee is £250.

Good luck
Original post by Tcannon
1) Concur, avoid Kaplan and Princeton Review. Identify your strengths and weakness in all sections, work on problem solving. Example: If weak in Q, you need to boost Q score. To get 700, you need balance score in V & Q (80th percentile +). Time management for each question

2) Start now, GMAT/GRE websites suggest 100 hours in total over 6 weeks for studying and doing mock exams. Regular study habits

3) GMAT quant is harder than GRE quant. I think for poets, GRE quant is easier. Arts students can score Q155 (65th percentile) in GRE with some serious studying. Do mock exams. 700 GMAT is very high score for most B-Schools. Most have average of 640-680, a few have 700 (LBS, Insead)

4) Manhattan GMAT guides, Magoosh online Studying for GRE. Both replicates test well with tougher mock exams. Try to join a study group that meets once a week for problem solving/support. Little secret: I asked some admitted students and many admitted that they took the GMAT/GRE more than once to improve the score. Of course, you want to nail it first time as exam fee is £250.

Good luck

Thanks for the advice. Really helpful, especially regarding advice for websites. I havent decided yet but i have to make my decision by this Friday realistically. I have the time but its whether or not it would be worth it now? When my masters wouldnt be for another 3 years yet.
There is a helpful site called BeattheGmat.com. Posters write about prep experience, review various guides/courses, share test strategy to improve scores and problem solving in various sections. Some people share how they manage to boost score by 30-50 points. The site has many alpha posters, so take it with a pinch of salt. You see odd posts such as: " I screwed up and scored only 700, should I retake and aim at 730 to have a chance for MBA admission?"

the GMAT/GRE scores are valid for 5 yrs. Don't do it if you are unsure as it is cost and time intensive. Most people need absolute commitment to do well unless you are a genius.

i would suggest to take GRE/GMAT in a lull. Avoid studying & taking exam while working full time at last minute with application deadline waiting. I did prep and exam during a quiet period without any distractions. 700 is high for European B-Schools, what are your target programmes?

Original post by GymLad78
Thanks for the advice. Really helpful, especially regarding advice for websites. I havent decided yet but i have to make my decision by this Friday realistically. I have the time but its whether or not it would be worth it now? When my masters wouldnt be for another 3 years yet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending