The Student Room Group

EMAILING Head Of Sixth Form for a REFERENCE

Hey I have now finished my a levels and was wanting to go out and looks for jobs, and my friends said that you can email the head of year and careers advisor asking if they can do your referenced for you.

My question is, what can I write in the email, and how can I request them to write up my reference, as I really want to go and find a job now?? Like how can I request them without sounding too bossy or anything? They are both really nice people and know me quite well :smile:

Thanks in advance
Asking for references is never fun, but I think you're overthinking it :P
If you know them both quite well and they're nice people, all you have to do is say that you're hoping to find a job, would it be possible to use you as a reference.
Good luck with the job hunt!
Reply 2
Original post by Going_To_California
Asking for references is never fun, but I think you're overthinking it :P
If you know them both quite well and they're nice people, all you have to do is say that you're hoping to find a job, would it be possible to use you as a reference.
Good luck with the job hunt!

hey yep I was overthinking it lol

Both of them said 'yeah sure of course'

But thanks
Original post by glitzy08
Hey I have now finished my a levels and was wanting to go out and looks for jobs, and my friends said that you can email the head of year and careers advisor asking if they can do your referenced for you.

My question is, what can I write in the email, and how can I request them to write up my reference, as I really want to go and find a job now?? Like how can I request them without sounding too bossy or anything? They are both really nice people and know me quite well :smile:

Thanks in advance

They dont need to write you a reference now or anything. When you apply for jobs, if you are successful, the employer will contact the school directly and ask for a reference.
It is common courtesy to ask them in advance though if they would be willing to give you one. If you know them well though, then they should be fine with it.
Reply 4
Original post by Emma:-)
They dont need to write you a reference now or anything. When you apply for jobs, if you are successful, the employer will contact the school directly and ask for a reference.
It is common courtesy to ask them in advance though if they would be willing to give you one. If you know them well though, then they should be fine with it.

yes thanks... my head of year said that she will provide me with a copy of the reference she writes for me, as they have to tell you what they have written :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
yes thanks... my head of year said that she will provide me with a copy of the reference she writes for me, as they have to tell you what they have written :smile:

Eh no they don't.
Reply 6
Original post by Lil-Sonic
Eh no they don't.

no? my bad. Finding a job is not as straightforward as I thought ahh. Do you have a summer job then? :smile:
In the email, just explain that you're looking for a job and would it be ok to use them for references :smile:

And good luck job hunting :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by ohhello92x
In the email, just explain that you're looking for a job and would it be ok to use them for references :smile:

And good luck job hunting :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

hey thanks it all went well, they said of course they can do my references :smile: But looking for a job is not going that well, most retail jobs want beforehand experience, and I really need money to learn to drive and all :s-smilie: and I don't wanna work in food chains so really dunno :/ do you work?
hey thanks it all went well, they said of course they can do my references :smile: But looking for a job is not going that well, most retail jobs want beforehand experience, and I really need money to learn to drive and all :s-smilie: and I don't wanna work in food chains so really dunno :/ do you work?

Your welcome :smile: aw yeah I know the feeling :redface: it is a pain trying to get a job and they turn you down -.- :/ and Sports Direct, they took me on without retail experience, plus I was desperate for a job at the time so I just took it :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Your welcome :smile: aw yeah I know the feeling :redface: it is a pain trying to get a job and they turn you down -.- :/ and Sports Direct, they took me on without retail experience, plus I was desperate for a job at the time so I just took it :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know this is random, but I'm getting this friendly feeling from you, and I don't even know u lol :biggrin: and wow lucky you, you deserve it :smile: x I'm just gonna keep trying I guess (fingers crossed). I just want it for the summer, and retail doesn't seem to like me without experience.
I know this is random, but I'm getting this friendly feeling from you, and I don't even know u lol :biggrin: and wow lucky you, you deserve it :smile: x I'm just gonna keep trying I guess (fingers crossed). I just want it for the summer, and retail doesn't seem to like me without experience.

Aww thanks :redface: lol thanks :smile:! Ah fair enough, hope you get something soon :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Aww thanks :redface: lol thanks :smile:! Ah fair enough, hope you get something soon :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the positive vibes lol! yep just gonna keep trying thanks :biggrin::smile:x
Thanks for the positive vibes lol! yep just gonna keep trying thanks :biggrin::smile:x

Your welcome :biggrin:! Lol yup :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending