The Student Room Group

Can I use my yr 10 mocks to apply to sixth forms? And who should I put as my ref?

Hi, My nov mocks for y11 aren't looking too good:
eng lang 4
eng lit 7
maths 6
art 9
geo 7
phys 8
chem 7
bio 8
spanish 7
Compared to my yr 10 mocks which are:
eng lang 7
eng lit 7
maths 7
art 8
geo 7
phys 8
chem 8
bio 8
spanish 7
So i was wondering if I can apply to competitive sixth forms like bramtpon, ncs or lae (+ others) with my yr 10 results instead? Also am I able to change my art grade from 8 to 9 as my school wasnt keen on giving out 9s in yr 10 in my applications? (Since it's just art I'm not sure if they will care much)
Who should I reference too?
I'm currently on winter break and we got our results on our last day so I don't know how to ask my teachers about this and references.
Should I just wait til my break is over? Does applying to sixth forms last minute matter?
(edited 4 months ago)
You need to apply with your year 11 mocks and you can use a member of staff at your school as a reference I used my head of year
Reply 2
Original post by HannahChadwick
You need to apply with your year 11 mocks and you can use a member of staff at your school as a reference I used my head of year

im so done for 🙏🙏
Original post by blubberpengi
im so done for 🙏🙏

Your not what do you want to study? i had a 3 in both English's and I still got into sixth form even after getting a 3 in both in the actual exams
Reply 4
Your not what do you want to study? i had a 3 in both English's and I still got into sixth form even after getting a 3 in both in the actual exams

i want to study physics (so i may take maths (most likely) and econ)
my aim is to get in to those competitive schools like lae or ncs but not sure I can with these grades
Reply 5
Hi, My nov mocks for y11 aren't looking too good:
eng lang 4
eng lit 7
maths 6
art 9
geo 7
phys 8
chem 7
bio 8
spanish 7
Compared to my yr 10 mocks which are:
eng lang 7
eng lit 7
maths 7
art 8
geo 7
phys 8
chem 8
bio 8
spanish 7
So i was wondering if I can apply to competitive sixth forms like bramtpon, ncs or lae (+ others) with my yr 10 results instead? Also am I able to change my art grade from 8 to 9 as my school wasnt keen on giving out 9s in yr 10 in my applications? (Since it's just art I'm not sure if they will care much)
Who should I reference too?
I'm currently on winter break and we got our results on our last day so I don't know how to ask my teachers about this and references.
Should I just wait til my break is over? Does applying to sixth forms last minute matter?

Use whichever teacher you want! Just make sure you ask them beforehand. If the school requires a written reference, teachers cannot give a ‘bad’ reference. Most of the applications I believe just want the teacher to confirm that the grades you submitted are accurate. So you may be able to bump a couple of your grades up by 1-2 if your teacher is satisfied that you will put the effort in to do better for your actual exams. Bear in mind that, as the head of sixth form at Brampton manor said to me in my interview, “your predicted grades aren’t worth the paper they’re written on”. What matters is what you get at the end! So even though you may not meet requirements currently for those competitive sixth forms, if you do after your final exams, then it will be fine!!
i want to study physics (so i may take maths (most likely) and econ)
my aim is to get in to those competitive schools like lae or ncs but not sure I can with these grades

you should be okay as its all about the grades you get in the summer. I recommend applying to every single sixth form/college with the higher entry requirements and then some lower entry requirements as a safety net.
Reply 7
you should be okay as its all about the grades you get in the summer. I recommend applying to every single sixth form/college with the higher entry requirements and then some lower entry requirements as a safety net.

yes will do thank uu
Reply 8

im so done for 🙏🙏

Hardly! All that needs improving is your English language and maybe you can send them an email to show that you can definitely do better in your actually GCSE’s. Yours grades are good enough for most top sixth forms as it is
Reply 9
Original post by JonahBr
Hardly! All that needs improving is your English language and maybe you can send them an email to show that you can definitely do better in your actually GCSE’s. Yours grades are good enough for most top sixth forms as it is

yall r so nice cos my tutor made me feel like it was the end of the world and id never get in to lae with these grades
Reply 10
Original post by subbhy
Use whichever teacher you want! Just make sure you ask them beforehand. If the school requires a written reference, teachers cannot give a ‘bad’ reference. Most of the applications I believe just want the teacher to confirm that the grades you submitted are accurate. So you may be able to bump a couple of your grades up by 1-2 if your teacher is satisfied that you will put the effort in to do better for your actual exams. Bear in mind that, as the head of sixth form at Brampton manor said to me in my interview, “your predicted grades aren’t worth the paper they’re written on”. What matters is what you get at the end! So even though you may not meet requirements currently for those competitive sixth forms, if you do after your final exams, then it will be fine!!

o7 tyy
Reply 11

yall r so nice cos my tutor made me feel like it was the end of the world and id never get in to lae with these grades

Hopefully if you just write an email to them in advance then I think you’ll still have plenty chance. Out of interest, what A-levels are you applying for?
Reply 12
Original post by JonahBr
Hopefully if you just write an email to them in advance then I think you’ll still have plenty chance. Out of interest, what A-levels are you applying for?

i really want to do physics so math would be probably my 2nd choice and econ for 3rd maybe
Reply 13

i really want to do physics so math would be probably my 2nd choice and econ for 3rd maybe

Alright yeah I’d just shoot them an email then mentioning how you are clearly capable of obtaining above a 6 in English language and this was just a one off then email them again after your next set of mocks with those grades, hoping you achieve above a 6 in English language in your next mocks you should be ok. Your maths and science results are currently good enough so no need to stress about them too much. Good luck in your next mocks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending