The Student Room Group

What languages go better with law from a career perspective? Spanish or German?

Hi all,

I am already fluent in French and obviously English (lol) and am going to embark on a language course for the next three months...just not sure which language to choose!
I have been told Spanish is similar to French so would not be as difficult...yet I have studied German at GCSE and managed to get A* in it-however that was five years ago.

What would an employer prefer in the legal field? Does it really matter?

Looking forward to hearing anything from anyone!

Thanks in advance!

Scarlett xxxx
Reply 1
Depends where you want to practice really. I would say Spanish is more widely spoken, but if you want to practice in Europe, then German may be very handy.
Reply 2
Probably German because it is so different to French. If you ever had to/chose to take up Spanish it would be much easier to teach it to yourself if you have a good knowledge of French, whereas German (I found) is another kettle of fish entirely and much, much harder to reach a good standard in without lessons. So imo, if you already know GCSE German it would be best to brush up on the course and get to a good level, and then take up Spanish at a later date.

Besides, German is the most widely spoken language in the EU!:smile:
^ and? Spanish can take you global...I did German at GCSE even though i opted to do Spanish but got put in the other hal year...i hated the language but did pretty well in it...when i get to Uni i'm going to do a language course in Spanish
Reply 4
Dark and Lovely
^ and? Spanish can take you global

True. But from the point of view of language learning, I still think Spanish would be an easier one to pick up at a later date if you know French.

I suppose it really depends on where you plan on working.
Reply 5
My gut reaction is German.
Honestly? I don't think it makes any difference. Both could be useful.
I was going to say the exact same thing. Both useful in their respective rights. Learn Chinese like me :biggrin:. Or try to, it's pretty tough.
Reply 8
To those who say it makes no difference, consider this then:

(from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_%28nominal%29)

BrunetteScarlett
What would an employer prefer in the legal field?

Probably (just) the language whose country has the larger economy and is likely to provide more international business?

Hardly anything in it.. but still - German. :wink:
That's their GDPs... get their respective reserve figures (both domestic and foreigh).
Reply 10
Lewisy-boy
That's their GDPs... get their respective reserve figures (both domestic and foreigh).

You've lost me :smile:

This is why I only took Economics to AS..
Ryands - that is a very narrow way of looking at things.

Spanish is the second most widely spoken language after English, and the third most spoken worldwide after Mandarin Chinese and English.
I think the wideness thing is a good way of looking at it. However, I think the way the economy is going asian languages are the way to go - probably mandarin and hindi(?) will become VERY useful skills to have.
Reply 13
LucyMP
Ryands - that is a very narrow way of looking at things.

I was being facetious, really.

Lewisy-boy
However, I think the way the economy is going asian languages are the way to go - probably mandarin and hindi(?) will become VERY useful skills to have.

True - how long have you been learning Chinese? Are you self-teaching?
yeah how are you getting along with Chinese?

With regards to the Spanish/German thing...there are more Spanish speaking countries...is it realistic these economies will ever become strong and thus a big player in the world?

I have three months to brush up the language of my choice, so I am instinctively thinking German as i have got some bkground knowledge...may give Chinese a go in my finals...

Just interested to see how one can fit such a tough language around law? Is it do-able?
Been learning chinese since september, not self teaching no. Supposedly once we've been doing it until about may we will be able to engage in most conversations in a social context. However, I want to boost it up so that I can master social and also get some business context stuff so that it's actually useful as a career tool, possibly lol. Loads of people at top firms seem to be speaking chinese now. Like when you read those "day in the life" things, for some reason step 1) I listen to some chinese vocab on the train into work, I have been learning for a while now and really enjoy it.

Yes, however, I do think they kind of exaggerate and deliberately pick the partner with the most stuff ie language, sports after work etc... or just make one up!

Latest

Trending

Trending