The Student Room Group

Employer still hasn't paid me (I'm on zero hours) - next step?

Hi,

I'm on a zero hours contract with a retailer and I have not been paid the full amount I'm owed (quite a few hours) since I started at the beginning of the year. My line manager has put this down to me not sending them my hours but surely this is their responsibility too? Anyway, I first made this complaint a few months ago and still I have only been paid fractions i.e. some hours which have been logged by them, but not all. I've brought it up several times and sent in all of the hours I have logged personally (to be checked/confirmed) but still nothing, and now I am told I probably still won't be paid the amount this month - but I will be away on my next payday, which is when I need the money for (holiday)!

I'm trying to get through to my local CAB at the moment for advice but are there any other steps I can take?

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
So wait, you've been owed wages for six months? And you're still working for these chumps? :erm: Well, you definitely need to take action, try and get as much paperwork/evidence as possible: time sheets, anything you've sent in writing to your employer, and so on.

Your best bet is likely going to be small claims court, but CAB are definitely best to advise you. I expect they'll tell you to total up all the money you're owed and put a demand in writing, so then it's up to your employer to either pony up the cash or to prove that the amount is wrong.

And definitely start looking for other jobs. Any employer who treats you like this definitely isn't worth working for.
Original post by Dez
So wait, you've been owed wages for six months? And you're still working for these chumps? :erm: Well, you definitely need to take action, try and get as much paperwork/evidence as possible: time sheets, anything you've sent in writing to your employer, and so on.

Your best bet is likely going to be small claims court, but CAB are definitely best to advise you. I expect they'll tell you to total up all the money you're owed and put a demand in writing, so then it's up to your employer to either pony up the cash or to prove that the amount is wrong.

And definitely start looking for other jobs. Any employer who treats you like this definitely isn't worth working for.

Thanks very much for your reply. I contacted the CAB (but my ****ty house phone cut out halfway through!) and they said the same, and maybe to start a formal grievance.

Haha, I just really needed the money but I guess it's not worth it if you're not actually going to get paid... University in September though so I'll have to take a break from slaving to the Corporate Gods.

Thanks again :smile:
Original post by voodoo_child
Thanks very much for your reply. I contacted the CAB (but my ****ty house phone cut out halfway through!) and they said the same, and maybe to start a formal grievance.

Haha, I just really needed the money but I guess it's not worth it if you're not actually going to get paid... University in September though so I'll have to take a break from slaving to the Corporate Gods.

Thanks again :smile:

I agree with what the other person said. Take it as far as you have to to get the money back. Hopefully threatening to take it further with them will scare them into sorting it before you have to take it that far.
Id also look for other jobs as well (possibly a chain where you could transfer stores if you are going to uni in september).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending