The Student Room Group

Would this put a guy off forever if he liked her?

Say a girl doesn't like sex and keeps avoiding it and the guy broke up with her because of it. If he liked her quite a bit would he still miss her (like the hugs etc) and maybe give her another chance somewhere in the future. Or would the fact that she didn't have a sex drive at that time put him off her forever?
Highly depends on the individual, A LOT of relationships are based highly from the sex. They may not have nothing in common but the physical attraction.
Where as other relationships are very emotional based, basically the soul mate complex. You click on every level, the physical side may become unnecessary for it to work.

By the sounds of it, the relationship you're enquiring about, really just had the guy interested in sex. He wanted sex and felt you're wasting his time. Maybe once it's out of his system, he'll reconsider or move on.
Original post by Anonymous
Say a girl doesn't like sex and keeps avoiding it and the guy broke up with her because of it. If he liked her quite a bit would he still miss her (like the hugs etc) and maybe give her another chance somewhere in the future. Or would the fact that she didn't have a sex drive at that time put him off her forever?

Personally I would miss the intimacy and do so. (I didn't break up for that reason, but she didn't want to have sex for religious reasons).

It's hard to say. He might come back for that reason, or he might just hope that in a given period of time you'll change your mind.

He may also have moved on and/or found someone else, and so might've you.

It wouldn't even put me off and make me feel the need to leave in the first place, I'd be patient and enjoy other things together in the meantime.
Reply 4
Original post by Shellshocker93
Highly depends on the individual, A LOT of relationships are based highly from the sex. They may not have nothing in common but the physical attraction.
Where as other relationships are very emotional based, basically the soul mate complex. You click on every level, the physical side may become unnecessary for it to work.

By the sounds of it, the relationship you're enquiring about, really just had the guy interested in sex. He wanted sex and felt you're wasting his time. Maybe once it's out of his system, he'll reconsider or move on.

Yea that's what he said when he was annoyed that I was wasting his time as it's been 6 months. I tried but there was always a problem like it hurt or I turned him off in some way I suppose because I didn't like it I made excuses to a certain extent
It wouldn't put me off her forever. It would cause a great deal of frustration, it would cause many problems, I'd cheat on her and continually seek sex from other women. But I could still miss her and want to be with her. I was in this position.
Essentially depends on how emotionally attached he was to you, which itself depends on whether he wanted to go out with you mostly for sex or the emotional side of it. Given that he broke up with you for due to a lack of sex it seems it was more sex, but at the same time if he is not desperate then he could fairly easily get with another girl who is potentially just as good and gives him sex so why would he stay?

It depends on what the guy wants and how attached he was emotionally.

It depends how awesome the first girl is. The more awesome the more likely he will give her a second chance.

It depends how good the guy is. The better he is the more likely he is to leave and not come back.
Reply 7
Original post by Redmark
It wouldn't even put me off and make me feel the need to leave in the first place, I'd be patient and enjoy other things together in the meantime.

That's what he has done but it's been 6 months, although he started to get frustrated with me after 2 months. I appreciate him trying and being patient and don't hold it against him.
Reply 8
Original post by Liquid Harvest
It wouldn't put me off her forever. It would cause a great deal of frustration, it would cause many problems, I'd cheat on her and continually seek sex from other women. But I could still miss her and want to be with her. I was in this position.

Ah ok, was she just avoiding it a lot or did nothing happen due to an issue/being frigid.

Sorry you don't have to reply if it's personal.
not at all. I would prefer girls like you over easy ones. I wouldn't even leave in the first place
That's what he has done but it's been 6 months, although he started to get frustrated with me after 2 months. I appreciate him trying and being patient and don't hold it against him.

Some people just have higher drives, you can't exactly force someone to change that. Sex shouldn't be the only reason he's sticking around, he needs to be patient and understand I'm afraid
Reply 11
If he wants to have sex and you don't want to have sex then you're obviously not compatible. Whether one of you will change is up to you, but I'd say it's quite unrealistic to expect him to not want sex. And whether you should change is another question; perhaps you should investigate the reasons you don't want to have sex and decide whether they can be solved, or if you want to solve them.
Ah ok, was she just avoiding it a lot or did nothing happen due to an issue/being frigid.

Sorry you don't have to reply if it's personal.

She avoids physical contact, anything intimate or sexual is always a struggle to initiate with her. I always felt like I was forcing myself on her and desperately trying to seek physical affection and intimacy from her. She didn't have a sex drive whereas I wanted it all the time literally, she told me I made her feel dirty by 'forcing' her to do sexual things. But this didn't change the way I felt about her, I have always loved her and always will love her, and I miss her. I was frustrated but there's nothing I could do, I just accepted it.

In your situation, it depends on how strongly he felt towards you. You'd have to have a very strong emotional bond with someone to overlook something like this. But then again, when you love someone so deeply, you'll ignore almost anything negative about the relationship and you'll blindly chase the person and want to be with them no matter what.
Original post by xDave-
If he wants to have sex and you don't want to have sex then you're obviously not compatible. Whether one of you will change is up to you, but I'd say it's quite unrealistic to expect him to not want sex. And whether you should change is another question; perhaps you should investigate the reasons you don't want to have sex and decide whether they can be solved, or if you want to solve them.

Yea I don't expect him to go without sex. I've always just been on my own and so lack of sex drive hasn't bothered me but he said it was unnatural/abnormal and that there was something wrong with me because humans are on this planet to have sex basically lol. I couldn't think of an argument against it other than I was put here to reduce the population :/
Unfortunately he seems like he was only after sex, I doubt that he would care much unless he's particularly sentimental. As for me, I wouldn't consider it a good reason to leave.
Original post by Liquid Harvest
She avoids physical contact, anything intimate or sexual is always a struggle to initiate with her. I always felt like I was forcing myself on her and desperately trying to seek physical affection and intimacy from her. She didn't have a sex drive whereas I wanted it all the time literally, she told me I made her feel dirty by 'forcing' her to do sexual things. But this didn't change the way I felt about her, I have always loved her and always will love her, and I miss her. I was frustrated but there's nothing I could do, I just accepted it.

In your situation, it depends on how strongly he felt towards you. You'd have to have a very strong emotional bond with someone to overlook something like this. But then again, when you love someone so deeply, you'll ignore almost anything negative about the relationship and you'll blindly chase the person and want to be with them no matter what.

Ok thanks for sharing that as this is from the other side of the issue. Hm I understand that my bf wanted sex and I did let him touch me etc sexually even intercourse all though it hurt so he had to keep stopping. But loved cuddling with him that was the only thing I liked. He loved all the kissing and sexual stuff and I suppose when you have a low sex drive it feels irritating/like you are being mauled/over stimulated. He had it just as bad though as he felt I was always rejecting him which must have been horrid and I suppose to him and a lot of men showing love is basically sex. You probably felt rejected all the time too. It's hard to come to a compromise with sex drives are so different.
Ok thanks for sharing that as this is from the other side of the issue. Hm I understand that my bf wanted sex and I did let him touch me etc sexually even intercourse all though it hurt so he had to keep stopping. But loved cuddling with him that was the only thing I liked. He loved all the kissing and sexual stuff and I suppose when you have a low sex drive it feels irritating/like you are being mauled/over stimulated. He had it just as bad though as he felt I was always rejecting him which must have been horrid and I suppose to him and a lot of men showing love is basically sex. You probably felt rejected all the time too. It's hard to come to a compromise with sex drives are so different.

No but hold on a second, I can't expect someone to match my sex drive or to be up for it all the time like I am, I completely accept that some girls just aren't into it, that's completely fine. It's frustrating but you have to accept it. If you have a strong enough emotional attachment you're still going to want to stay with that person. I don't believe that sex is the only way to show love, if her sex drive isn't there then I can completely understand that. You have to come to a compromise, you shouldn't feel forced to do something (though in the heat of the moment, the man gets VERY horny and will stop at almost nothing to get what he wants, which is selfish but there you go, and you end up getting irritated).

The problem here is that he might start going to other women to get sex, that's what happened to me. Whether he still misses you or considers coming back to you, depends on how strongly he felt about you. If it was a serious relationship or just a short term casual thing. There's a lot more than sex BUT it's impossible not to feel horny, the high sex drive is always going to be there. It takes a lot of patience to get past that, I couldn't do it, I doubt that many people can settle for that.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending