The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford 2016/17 Postgraduate

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DreamByDay
Does anyone have guidelines/advice for writing to potential MPhil thesis supervisors? My department states that contacting potential supervisors is not necessary but I'm unsure as to whether my research interests can be catered for and don't want to put a lot of effort into my application and then be rejected (especially since I'll have to write custom writing samples).

So far I was thinking a short email (like 5-7 lines) with a brief description of my research interest and how it would fit into the person's own interests, but I don't know if maybe I should add a CV/research proposal/etc...???

Any help appreciated :smile: :smile:

I'd say emailing them is the best way to go! I don't think you need to add a CV at this stage, but don't quote me on that. I've emailed a few people from various places in a relatively informal manner. Annoyingly the person I most wanted to hear back from never replied, but generally I've had some really helpful responses!

What scholarships etc. are people applying for? As a Medievalist trying to conduct research that breaks down traditional barriers between humanities departments, the Ertegun is my absolute dream, but I know the chances of actually receiving it are infinitesimal so I'm trying not to think about it too much. :frown:
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 61
Original post by LytillSquerell
I'd say emailing them is the best way to go! I don't think you need to add a CV at this stage, but don't quote me on that. I've emailed a few people from various places in a relatively informal manner. Annoyingly the person I most wanted to hear back from never replied, but generally I've had some really helpful responses!

What scholarships etc. are people applying for? As a Medievalist trying to conduct research that breaks down traditional barriers between humanities departments, the Ertegun is my absolute dream, but I know the chances of actually receiving it are infinitesimal so I'm trying not to think about it too much. :frown:

For the Ertegun, you have to write an essay on how you are going to save the world.
Reply 62
Does anyone have guidelines/advice for writing to potential MPhil thesis supervisors? My department states that contacting potential supervisors is not necessary but I'm unsure as to whether my research interests can be catered for and don't want to put a lot of effort into my application and then be rejected (especially since I'll have to write custom writing samples).

So far I was thinking a short email (like 5-7 lines) with a brief description of my research interest and how it would fit into the person's own interests, but I don't know if maybe I should add a CV/research proposal/etc...???

Any help appreciated :smile: :smile:

1st paragraph: present yourself. Good student, uni of XX, worked with Dr Y and Z, whom s-he knows, etc.

2nd paragraph: describe your project. Briefly tell you sources, historiography and methodology. By using this stuff, I would like to continue the work of Pr W in this field, etc.
Tell that you will send a draft of your research proposal soon.

3rd paragraph: ask if they want to meet, or indicate who would be a good match for your thesis if they can't supervise you.
Reply 63
Original post by omgwhat
Woo! Me too! Isn't that exciting?

Cracking stuff. What's your proposed research topic on?
Original post by Josb
1st paragraph: present yourself. Good student, uni of XX, worked with Dr Y and Z, whom s-he knows, etc.

2nd paragraph: describe your project. Briefly tell you sources, historiography and methodology. By using this stuff, I would like to continue the work of Pr W in this field, etc.
Tell that you will send a draft of your research proposal soon.

3rd paragraph: ask if they want to meet, or indicate who would be a good match for your thesis if they can't supervise you.

Thank you for your reply!! :smile:

Just wondering - I can see doing this for a PhD but should I really go this much into detail for an MPhil? Given that our application itself doesn't require a research proposal (just a personal statement of 1000 words in which we talk about who we are, what we want to research and how) I don't want to come off too strong....
Reply 65
Thank you for your reply!! :smile:

Just wondering - I can see doing this for a PhD but should I really go this much into detail for an MPhil? Given that our application itself doesn't require a research proposal (just a personal statement of 1000 words in which we talk about who we are, what we want to research and how) I don't want to come off too strong....

In that case, just mention your field. Perhaps you could read one of their books or say that one of your current lecturers has recommended them.
Original post by Josb
In that case, just mention your field. Perhaps you could read one of their books or say that one of your current lecturers has recommended them.

Good idea - I'll try and link my research idea to their latest book :P
Reply 67
Hi all,
I'm currently considering whether to apply for the Mst in English Lit 1830 or not...:biggrin:
I've done a joint teaching degree in Germany (English and Geography), do you know if this will reduce my chances?
My grades are pretty good (German equivalent of a 1st), but I'm insecure anyways :redface:

Anyone else applying for one of the Mst in English? Any tips? :wink:
Hey guys. Thinking of applying for a MSc in Medical Anthropology but only recently decided having had my heart on another course at another institution.
Any other MFE/MPhil Economics applicants?
I'm considering applying for a PhD at Oxford next year. Not sure how to read their entry criteria though. Says a minimum of a first class law degree (as in, in the absence of a master's) which I don't have. It then says if you don't have a law degree you need a distinction in your master's.

If I have a 2.1 but then get a distinction in my master's does that mean it's worth applying? I know people do go and do a PhD without a master's which is what I think they mean by 'a minimum of' but then if you can apply without a law degree as long as you have a distinction in master's, does that mean I could apply still?

Confusing!
Reply 71
Original post by Harutyun
Hey Charu,

This is one of the programs I am considering as well. However, I am a bit worried about my chances for admission. Do you mind sharing your background? =)

I am applying for it as well. Have you applied already? I am trying to determine whether the essays i have will do because they do ask for material relevant to the proposed area of study.
Reply 72
Original post by infairverona
I'm considering applying for a PhD at Oxford next year. Not sure how to read their entry criteria though. Says a minimum of a first class law degree (as in, in the absence of a master's) which I don't have. It then says if you don't have a law degree you need a distinction in your master's.

If I have a 2.1 but then get a distinction in my master's does that mean it's worth applying? I know people do go and do a PhD without a master's which is what I think they mean by 'a minimum of' but then if you can apply without a law degree as long as you have a distinction in master's, does that mean I could apply still?

Confusing!

If you have a distinction, it's worth applying. Relevant work experience is also important.
Original post by Josb
If you have a distinction, it's worth applying. Relevant work experience is also important.

It's confusing because I've seen a lot of advice on here for undergrad Oxbridge applicants that extra curriculars aren't important so I kind of assumed that work experience would also not be important. How would you mention that? Just in your CV?
Reply 74
It's confusing because I've seen a lot of advice on here for undergrad Oxbridge applicants that extra curriculars aren't important so I kind of assumed that work experience would also not be important. How would you mention that? Just in your CV?

There is a difference between charity work at 16yo and working for a law firm. :biggrin:

You have to upload a CV, and relevant professional experience is appreciated. You can also mention it in your personal statement.
Original post by Josb
There is a difference between charity work at 16yo and working for a law firm. :biggrin:

You have to upload a CV, and relevant professional experience is appreciated. You can also mention it in your personal statement.

I don't actually work in a law firm. I worked in the NHS for a year doing HR and then moved into the Health Research Authority so I'm not sure that would help unless I wanted to do clinical research ethics (which I am very interested in naturally and would be happy to do my PhD on this if I could get some kind of funding, but I might feel differently after my MA)
Reply 76
I don't actually work in a law firm. I worked in the NHS for a year doing HR and then moved into the Health Research Authority so I'm not sure that would help unless I wanted to do clinical research ethics (which I am very interested in naturally and would be happy to do my PhD on this if I could get some kind of funding, but I might feel differently after my MA)

You should definitively mention it in your statement, eg. 'I would like to continue your studies into clinical research ethics as I am currently working at the Health Research Authority of the NHS...'. That will be impressive.
Original post by Josb
You should definitively mention it in your statement, eg. 'I would like to continue your studies into clinical research ethics as I am currently working at the Health Research Authority of the NHS...'. That will be impressive.

I hope so. I'm trying to build up as strong a case as o can. So far I'm doing undergrad medicine teaching, student clinical ethics committee, giving training on the human tissue act to colleagues at work, an extra module for credit (clin research ethics so I have to do it really) so il have an MA + 15 credits, in the process of applying to volunteer for a clinical negligence helpline helping people who have medical problems and I've been offered a mini pupillage at a chambers doing clinical negligence work. Is there anything else you would recommend I do (getting a distinction aside) that would help strengthen my applications? I know having a 2.1 will hold me back -_-
Reply 78
I hope so. I'm trying to build up as strong a case as o can. So far I'm doing undergrad medicine teaching, student clinical ethics committee, giving training on the human tissue act to colleagues at work, an extra module for credit (clin research ethics so I have to do it really) so il have an MA + 15 credits, in the process of applying to volunteer for a clinical negligence helpline helping people who have medical problems and I've been offered a mini pupillage at a chambers doing clinical negligence work. Is there anything else you would recommend I do (getting a distinction aside) that would help strengthen my applications? I know having a 2.1 will hold me back -_-

Publications maybe, but your case seems already strong.:wink:
Original post by Josb
Publications maybe, but your case seems already strong.:wink:

Thanks, just worried about a 2.1. I'm planning to apply for Oxford, UCL, KCL and maybe Manchester (best academics for my field). I'll have to look into getting published - I do have a piece of work from my undergrad that my tutor suggested trying to get published but I don't have a clue how to go about it/would probably wait until I've done some MA work now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending