The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham Uni

For anyone interested in finding out about life as a Durham Uni student, feel free to check out my blog (http://themidimail.com/) and join me on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/themidimail), Twitter and Instagram. I'm also happy to answer any questions about studying and life in Durham in general :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by themidimail
For anyone interested in finding out about life as a Durham Uni student, feel free to check out my blog (http://themidimail.com/). I'm also happy to answer any questions about studying and life in Durham in general :smile:

So I heard there's no McDonald's, KFC, Burger King or Subway around the town right? And they're closing the only Nandos this October too?

Have I made a big mistake in firming Durham or can you convince me otherwise? :tongue:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Dylann
So I heard there's no McDonald's, KFC, Burger King or Subway around the town right? And they're closing the only Nandos this October too?

Have I made a big mistake in firming Durham or can you convince me otherwise? :tongue:

They're closing the only Nando's in the whole city? Well, that's news to me! There are two Subways if that's redemptive in any way at all.

Despite the lack of fast food places, it's a lovely city with lots of Instagramming potential. Oh and it has a great academic record too!
Reply 3
They're closing the only Nando's in the whole city? Well, that's news to me! There are two Subways if that's redemptive in any way at all.
Despite the lack of fast food places, it's a lovely city with lots of Instagramming potential. Oh and it has a great academic record too!

Well it was something I read on the freshers Facebook group a while ago, but I can't find anything online so maybe it wasn't true :tongue: but Subway is awesome so I'm fine with that (though, wouldn't you feel a tad guilty eating out when you are fully catered?)

Good stuff :biggrin:. I saw you're studying English and I think your picture says Chads so the amount of questions I can ask are a bit limited...I will be doing Chemistry at Van Mildert...do you know anything about either Chemistry or Mildert? Like reputation, type of people etc...Mildert seems to be infatuated with their ducks :lolwut:

Also, what did you wish you knew before you started Durham and do you regret doing/not doing some things (i.e. joining certain societies, talking to more people..)?
Reply 4
Original post by Dylann
Well it was something I read on the freshers Facebook group a while ago, but I can't find anything online so maybe it wasn't true :tongue: but Subway is awesome so I'm fine with that (though, wouldn't you feel a tad guilty eating out when you are fully catered?)

Good stuff :biggrin:. I saw you're studying English and I think your picture says Chads so the amount of questions I can ask are a bit limited...I will be doing Chemistry at Van Mildert...do you know anything about either Chemistry or Mildert? Like reputation, type of people etc...Mildert seems to be infatuated with their ducks :lolwut:

Also, what did you wish you knew before you started Durham and do you regret doing/not doing some things (i.e. joining certain societies, talking to more people..)?

Yes, they bloody love their ducks - and even that is an understatement! Their unique selling point is a giant, rotating statue of a feather. The building isn't that pretty, but I've got a few friends from there who love the place.

It's about twenty to thirty minutes from the centre of town. Seeing as you'll be studying Chemistry, it is only fifteen minutes from the science site which should be quite convenient :smile: It is a pain to walk back to after a night out but you'll soon get used to it or you can always get a taxi.

As for the subject itself, I don't know very much about it. But from the one Chemistry lecture which I attended, it seemed like a pretty interesting course - lots of work but that's with any subject (even English!)

Just to add, there's actually three subways as far as I'm aware (Elvet Bridge, Claypath and North Road). There's also rumoured to be a Pret A Manger opening soon somewhere, so some fast food for the day even if not after nights out, and there's plenty of independent places for that kind of thing - Urban Oven and Pizza Uno on Claypath, Patrick's Pizza on Elvet Bridge (would not recommend unless very drunk!) and Stanton's on North Road are the most popular.
Reply 6
What is Mary's like? And what is Durham (and freshers) like for people who dont drink much?
Original post by Dylann

I tell myself the lack of McDonald's is really a positive thing- saves both my budget and my health :wink: There are plenty of nicer places to grab a panini for lunch during the daytime (and a number of the cafes do takeaway) as well as places like subway, and in the evening and post-night-out there are plenty of takeout places (Urban Oven being a particular favourite). It gets annoying sometimes, but it's not much of a sacrifice. Newcastle's only 20 minutes on the train, and there are McDonald's within easy driving distance if you're that desperate (make friends with a second year with a car)!
I'm from Butler, so self-catered- can't comment on the guilt for eating out, but I've always felt like it would've been an issue for me! I don't see many people destroyed by it though.

I wish I'd known that Freshers' Week really isn't the Defining Point of your year, or even of first term. It's really true that you might not meet your best friends until after the week is over, you might not discover your dream society until midway through second term, and efforts to get plugged into activities and college life are best maintained beyond the first week. Don't stress about it- have fun, meet people, make memories, get to know your college and Durham and yourself, but don't let the pressure get to you. It'll be okay!

Definitely talk to people in Freshers' (it's easier than you think). I know a lot of people who regret spending a lot of money on societies at the Freshers' Fair- I waited it out and tried them out before paying for membership, would definitely recommend. I regret spending way too much on food shopping in first term, but if you're catered that's an adventure you'll meet in second year :P I don't regret too much, because overwhelmingly first year was just great fun.

Original post by mickey27
What is Mary's like? And what is Durham (and freshers) like for people who dont drink much?

Disclaimer that I don't go to Mary's, but the people I know who are there are absolutely wonderful, and they seem to really love their college. If I weren't at Butler, Mary's would probably be my second choice, but you pretty much fall in love with wherever you end up I think!

You'll find your people. It might take a while, but there are plenty of others who aren't big on drinking lots or nights out. One of my friendship group is teetotal (although she wasn't when we began) and one of my flatmates was teetotal when we began (although she isn't now). We go on nights out- sometimes she comes (we all have nights where we prioritise sleep!), and we have nights in with a bottle of wine (she brings fun juice). I often buy mocktails with her when we go for cocktails (it like halves the price), and she pays less for group meals because she's not factored into the alcohol!

I don't think it makes a huge difference- if you're happy in your decision not to drink much, then go you, you do what you're comfortable with! Try to still join in with activities and plans (just because other people are drinking, doesn't mean you have to) because it lets you meet people, keeps you busy (good for homesickness/general WHAT IS HAPPENING panic), and makes good memories... but don't feel you have to do anythign you don't want to. I can't imagine it'll make a huge difference, and to be honest you'll probably enjoy freshers and first year more than the people who drink so much they're poor, embarrassed at the stories, and unable to remember a lot of it :wink:
Reply 8
Also, how does the room sharing work? Is it nice, hard work? I dont mind sharing because im used to it, but dont know whether sharing with a stranger in my first term is a good idea? Are
the shared rooms bigger, and are there other places in Durham you can go if you need some 'alone time'
Reply 9
I would also like to know about shared rooms. I've firmed my unconditional offer to Aidan's (I took a gap year, so I already had my results when applying), and it says on the website that Aidan's has 40% shared rooms for first years.

I am sure that having a shared room can be very useful, especially in the beginning for meeting people etc, but I have kind of crazy habits, like procrastinating a LOT and then doing all my work in the middle of the night. I know that's a really bad habit, and I've tried to change it, but let's be honest, I don't think it's going to happen. I also can't work well when people are chatting around me as I get distracted pretty easily. This is probably going to be the death of me, I know. I went to a boarding school, and I usually worked in my room (we had single rooms in our last year) or in the library where it was usually pretty quiet.

Does anyone have any tips/tricks/info they can give me? :smile:
Reply 10
Do many people go to concerts whilst at uni? One of my favourite bands (of monsters and men) are playing at the O2 academy in Newcastle in late November...

Original post by Anny Smiles
x

Thanks a lot for your help :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest