The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

bunthulhu
Yes, and quite honestly there's no good reason why she shouldn't.

The difference here is, that unlike someone choosing to take drugs or binge drink, her decision is very personal and emotional for her and it's not going to harm her or people around her - so yes, in this case I believe it is her decision.

And this is the crux of it. Yes its very very personal and so her own inclination is the most important factor, but its never the only factor.

Furthermore I strongly disagree on whether it harms her, and as a result whetheer it harms others.
Ooo Mrs!
Bit of controversy sir? Suits you sir? :wink:
I'm sorry If i offended some of you, i can positively say my comments werent serious, I was only having a joke. Pity we don't share the same sense of humour but nvm.
And good luck to the boyfriend that's all I can say.
Plus i did leave some nice-ish tips at the end!
This thread is quite entertaining now I think about it, especially if the dogs name is 'insert here' lmao. :biggrin: *titter titter
Reply 42
maybe, you could b a supportive boyfriend and not be so judgemental of her. honestly, a tiny tat would make you repulsed by her body yet nobody seems to understand why only 3% off women are happy with their bodies. no wonder so many people have eating disorders.

The old and wrinly thing . . . so what? you are going to get old and wrinkley. You skin will be unappealing. why should it matter if there's a bit of ink atatched to it, stopping getting a tattoo won't prevent wrinkles. I always hear people say 'what about showing it off when you're old and wrinkley' excuse me, how many OAPs do you know running around in bikinis, halternacks and mini-skirts? not may i assume.

I think she should go for it. if it's what she wants, stop being a git. Ok so you don't want her to regret it, but that ought to be your only motive for dissuading her.
Reply 43
tattoos do not hurt, not much anyway. Ok so there is a bit of intence pain at the begining and when the artist goes over bone/every now and then, and it may be a little sore a few days afterwards. How is it that different to piercing your ears?

and how does it hurt others around her? it's not like she's geting 'my boyfriend is a ****' tattooed on her forhead.
According to the American Society of Dermatological surgery, After interviewing 5000 people who had had a tattoo more than 10 years previously, 45% of them regretted it.
Am I the only one that thinks having an old dogs name tattooed on somewhere like your neck is a bit.. ridiculous? :|
as someone's said - whats the dogs name? surely if its a sensible name, done discreetly and tastefully there's little problem? as for being old, how many old ladies go around showing off their lower backs? i think i small tasteful tattoo can look really sexy on a girl.
OK - it seems this thread has heated up somewhat....

Right - time so settle some things.

1) i NEVER said i wanted to dictate what she does or doesn't do, as i said in my original post - it is her body.

2) of course i know what this means to her, and of course i fully respect her decision. she is a very intelligent person, not a 'chav' as someone eloquently put it...

3) It kinda DOES affect me, as Nevermindthat said. I care enormously for her - and this is the stem of most of the conflict; although i respect her decision to do something, i also wanna look out for her should she regret it later on.

4) Much to everyone's relief from curiosity, the dog's name was Mossie...

I know there are many ways one could approach this...I think her particular wants and desires come well above my little preferences...i think i just need to be as supportive as i can be. Although i don't fully agree with what she's doing, it would be very unfair for me to get in the way of her doing what she wants.

I'd like to thank all of you for posting in this highly entertaining thread - particularly bunthulhu and nevermindthat for their frankly applaudable contest...(i think nevermindthat won :rolleyes: )
Reply 48
Maybe ask her to wait until she's over the initial grief, as that may be affecting how she sees things, and then see whether she still wants to have it. If she still does at that point, then I'm afraid it's her body and her choice.
Reply 49
I love tattoos but a dog's name is a bit weird and impulsive. She will get over the dog. Try to delay her, I'm sure she'll soon realise it's gonna go out of date as a tattoo idea. You need timeless things if you want tattoos.
Reply 50
Good points from the two posts above. I was looking for a post which mentioned those things.

If her dog died recently, she is making this decision in a very emotional state. Therefore the decision may not be the best one.

Try to delay her for a few weeks till she is over the initial grief and till her life begins to adjust without the dog. Then she'll be able to think more clearly.
Firstly and most importantly...what is the name of the dog?

Although I support her right to chose what she wants on her body, having a name is a bit of a dodgy idea. Personally I'd wait a while and if I still wanted to something to remember the dog by, I would get a paw print.
tiger_vio
Am I the only one that thinks having an old dogs name tattooed on somewhere like your neck is a bit.. ridiculous? :|

Nope. Its a dog. It won't remember you. And it wouldnt care if you got its 'percieved' name tattooed on your back either. Your girlfriend has every right to get a tattoo. Its up to the boyfriend to make sure she doesnt get a stupid one though. :smile:
I think the idea of getting a necklace with the name engraved onto it is a wonderful idea...much nicer than a tattoo =)
Reply 54
bunthulhu
It's her body, it was her dog, she can remember him how she likes. So what if you can think of better ways? Better ways for you, maybe. But this is clearly her favourite way. And it's perfectly respectable, the name of someone she loves and always will, so it's not something she'll regret in the future.

Anyway, it's just a little name on the small of her back, it's not going to be scrawled across her forehead, so I'm sure you'll survive :smile:

That didn't take long. :rolleyes:
supernova2
The best name would be "Insert below"

:rofl: oh so true :biggrin:
Reply 56
Has she ever talked about getting a tattoo before? If this is something she really wants to get done, you should support her, but if you suspect she hasn't put a lot of thought into the idea, and is just upset, then yes, it would be appropriate to talk through her decision and point out the pros and cons.

Regardless of what she does next, I think the idea suggested by one of the previous posters, to buy her some jewellery with "In memory of Fido" engraved would be a really sweet thing to do, and help keep her spirits up.

I do think it's a little strange that she wants to get her dog's name tattooed on her back, as presumably she won't be able to see it. Still, at least it wouldn't be visible in a suit, so it wouldn't affect her future job prospects. It is possible that she loved this dog deeply (a lot of people do treat pets as members of the family) and as such, wouldn't regret this tattoo in the future, but make sure she's having this done for the right reasons, and if so, support her. It's her body, I'm afraid, and no matter your personal preferences, she has the right to do whatever she wants to it.
Reply 57
I was thinking of a tattoo but the fact that they are common did put me off. Just show your gf all the pics of trashy celebs with tattoos.

When I saw Kerry Katona in a beautiful bridesmaids dress and an ugly tattoo round her ankle I was instantly putt off. The dress and tattoo didn't match. Going to the gym more, drinking water etc has made me glad that I kept my body 'natural.'

Having tattoos can be a turn off as whatever you get done is objective. Not having tattoos isn't a turn off.
Ha ha ha :biggrin:. I'm not against tattoos really, the "it'll look terrible when she's old" argument is completely irrelevent in my opinion - old people look crap anyway. Being able to look at a tattoo (terrible looking or not) and remember a time when she looked good isn't a bad thing at all. Whoever said "little old ladies will look silly with a tattoo on the small of their back" - wtf? How many little old ladies do YOU know that are wandering around with the small of their back on display? It will be a completely personal thing. So no... being old and having a tattoo as a reminder of being young could never be a bad thing, in my opinion. Only if you went and tattood your face or something equally stupid.

HOWEVER! Getting a tattoo of a dogs name... a bit weird! Especially on the small of the back. Seems a bit sexual :eek:.
Melissa85
I was thinking of a tattoo but the fact that they are common did put me off. Just show your gf all the pics of trashy celebs with tattoos.

When I saw Kerry Katona in a beautiful bridesmaids dress and an ugly tattoo round her ankle I was instantly putt off. The dress and tattoo didn't match. Going to the gym more, drinking water etc has made me glad that I kept my body 'natural.'

Having tattoos can be a turn off as whatever you get done is objective. Not having tattoos isn't a turn off.

Is for some people :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending