The Student Room Group

does work experience matter for pharmacy applicants? can i lie on my PS??

i have had work experience at a pharmacy only for a day lol
can i write on my personal statement that i've done it for a week? Will uni's find out if i'm lying? do uni's ask for a reference??

any help would be appreciated! thanks! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anam
i have had work experience at a pharmacy only for a day lol
can i write on my personal statement that i've done it for a week? Will uni's find out if i'm lying? do uni's ask for a reference??

any help would be appreciated! thanks! :smile:

People get into pharmacy without any work experience.
Reply 2
Original post by vee_wuvshugs
People get into pharmacy without any work experience.

Yeah i've been told that, but do you think i can exaggerate how many days i have done work experience at the pharmacy? thanks
Original post by Anam
Yeah i've been told that, but do you think i can exaggerate how many days i have done work experience at the pharmacy? thanks

Don't lie on your personal statement, if you get asked in interview and you don't have a weeks worth of stuff to talk about they will easily find out.
Original post by Anam

Just don't mention the length of time you spent there. Instead try and remember all the little details of what happened and you'll be able to write a decent amount. Read through other personal statements and see what everyone else puts. Try to make yours unique and include stuff others didn't.
Original post by Anam

No, of course you shouldn't. I'm amazed you come on here and ask the question.
Reply 6
Original post by claireestelle
Don't lie on your personal statement, if you get asked in interview and you don't have a weeks worth of stuff to talk about they will easily find out.

Ahh ok so if i just wrote i've done a days work experience at a local pharmacy would that loo silly?
Original post by Anam
Ahh ok so if i just wrote i've done a days work experience at a local pharmacy would that loo silly?

Why would it look silly? some applicants might not have any experience so it puts you at an advantage anyway even if it is just one day
Reply 8
Original post by Duncan2012
No, of course you shouldn't. I'm amazed you come on here and ask the question.

lol
Just don't mention the length of time you spent there. Instead try and remember all the little details of what happened and you'll be able to write a decent amount. Read through other personal statements and see what everyone else puts. Try to make yours unique and include stuff others didn't.

how you getting on bud? pharmacy still for you? you must be mad! failed medic cough cough...
Original post by trustmeimlying1
how you getting on bud? pharmacy still for you? you must be mad! failed medic cough cough...

Good thanks:biggrin:

Yep pharmacy all the way, can't wait to start !!!!

Actually, I withdrew my medicine applications in December but Liverpool still gave me an interview in march/february and guess what? I rejected it :tongue: So no I'm not a failed medic if the school I was least likely to get into gave me an interview. What if I hadn't withdrawn my applications?

Can't believe you called me a failed medic :colonhash:

How insulting.
Good thanks:biggrin:

Yep pharmacy all the way, can't wait to start !!!!

Actually, I withdrew my medicine applications in December but Liverpool still gave me an interview in march/february and guess what? I rejected it :tongue: So no I'm not a failed medic if the school I was least likely to get into gave me an interview. What if I hadn't withdrawn my applications?

Can't believe you called me a failed medic :colonhash:

How insulting.
interview is half of it :tongue:

Il be honest with you though...Pharmacy is tough especially if you dont have contacts. not a bad job by any means on the other hand just no walk in the park.
interview is half of it :tongue:

Il be honest with you though...Pharmacy is tough especially if you dont have contacts. not a bad job by any means on the other hand just no walk in the park.

Yeah, I wonder how I would have done in it :s-smilie:

Please explain. :colonhash:
Yeah, I wonder how I would have done in it :s-smilie:

Please explain. :colonhash:
should have went for the craic xD

A lot of what you need to know is outside the class. I.e. get a job in a pharmacy. This can be difficult without contacts probably less so in england though. Without contacts already youll have to be making them throughout your career to get jobs in the private sector(community). Industry is very competitive but if its your thing potentially well paid if you get a break. If you get a break again.

Hospital pharmacy is also v competitive and requires experience during your summer to realistically stand a chance.

Pharmacy is definitely one of the better jobs but its requires a lot of effort outside of your course especially without a family/friends background for help. It is a vocation.
x

Yeah I considered it, but I'll stick meth :tongue:

Oh that's what you mean. Thank you :smile:

I've been looking at the various placements available and am currently strengthen my CV in order to start applying next year.

How did you find it? What placements have you been on?
(edited 8 years ago)
Definitely don't lie. When you start studying pharmacy they have you stick to the GPHC principles of professional conduct, and the first one is being honest and trustworthy. If you tell them you went for a week and learnt loads of things they'll ask you about them and if they realise you've lied it won't go down well. I only had 3/4 days worth of work experience when I applied, other people didn't have any, and some had jobs in pharmacies beforehand but they definitely weren't in a majority. Don't worry, universities don't really expect it because it's fairly hard to get work experience before you leave school. Definitely don't worry, and don't lie.
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
Definitely don't lie. When you start studying pharmacy they have you stick to the GPHC principles of professional conduct, and the first one is being honest and trustworthy. If you tell them you went for a week and learnt loads of things they'll ask you about them and if they realise you've lied it won't go down well. I only had 3/4 days worth of work experience when I applied, other people didn't have any, and some had jobs in pharmacies beforehand but they definitely weren't in a majority. Don't worry, universities don't really expect it because it's fairly hard to get work experience before you leave school. Definitely don't worry, and don't lie.

its been too long haha
its been too long haha

It has. What year are you in now?
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
It has. What year are you in now?

2nd year naturally. going into third if I pass this OSCE in august.

you must be going into final year then
2nd year naturally. going into third if I pass this OSCE in august.

you must be going into final year then

OSCE's are the worst. And third year is hard. Less busy time-wise than second year but harder content.

Yep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending