The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Or, "if you don't do what we want, we will unilaterally redraw your borders". Sauce for the goose.
Reply 21
The Marshall Islands, bringing this thread back on topic, completely and most strongly condemns the suicide bombing and the organization responsible for this most dastardly deed. We hope that this does not signify an outbreak of the Interfada a couple of years ago when there were suicide bombings and deaths of innocents in many cities day in, day out – on the buses, in cafes etc.

BTW – The Marshall Island rep. was in Eilat at the time of the bombing – it occurred in a nearby neighbourhood to where she was staying.
Reply 22
Aha, t'is an easy one to comment on.

Australia joins the international chorus of condemnation and strongly criticizes the Palestinian militants for their selfish, cut-throat and ruthless actions.

We strongly encourage both parties to work together and focus on the Middle East Road Map such that sustainable peace can be achieved in the long run.

We call upon all other countries to also decisively and swiftly condemn the attacks as mindless and highly provocative. It is pertinent to note that violence begets violence in many parts of the world, the Middle East included, and both sides should therefore exercise maximum restraint.
Reply 23
Argentina also condemns this attack, and offer our condolences to the town of Eilat.
Reply 24
Does this attack really need a thread condemning it? People are dying across the world. I don't see anyone making a thread about their deaths. Iraq was a peacefully February 2003. Now it's a living hell. That is a lot worse then the first suicide bomber in 9 months killing 3 people.

Apollo
So an illegal fence is on par with a suicide bombing? "If we don't get what we want, we'll blow you up!" is rather juvenile, don't you think?

The fence is making the lives of Palestinian civilians difficult. They are losing their farm land and thousand year old olive groves. The Israelis are selling them (illegal but enforcement is really weak). Just like the checkpoints. Palestinians have died trying to get to hospital. A journey that should be simply be 20 minutes.
Reply 25
Tibia
Does this attack really need a thread condemning it? People are dying across the world. I don't see anyone making a thread about their deaths.

If it will make you feel better Tibia - go and make a thread about it. You obviously feel very strongly about those peoples' deaths - highly commendable. So many sit back without doing anything - caring about humanity is a v good thing. :smile:

Iraq was a peacefully February 2003. Now it's a living hell. That is a lot worse then the first suicide bomber in 9 months killing 3 people.

Ah shame the statistics don't suit you Tibia..let's ask the terrorists to increase the rate of suicide bombers just so gemgems89 is eligible in your eyes to make a thread about it. :rolleyes:

As I'm sure you're very aware, it's not just about the 'one' suicide bomber - it's about what it can potentially lead to - or have you forgotten the Interfada only a couple of years ago?
Reply 26
if it will make you feel better Tibia - go and make a thread about it. You obviously feel very strongly about those peoples' deaths - highly commendable. So many sit back without doing anything - caring about humanity is a v good thing.

Unfortuanly i have been stricken with procrastination. Making a thread for every bombing in Iraq alone would be to hard and Nefarious would get mad.

Ah shame the statistics don't suit you Tibia..let's ask the terrorists to increase the rate of suicide bombers just so gemgems89 is eligible in your eyes to make a thread about it.

But true none the less. The rate of suicide bombing isn't going to rise to the level it was during the intifada. The Checkpoints and the security wall have made sure of that.

have you forgotten the Interfada only a couple of years ago?

The Intifada? Oh you mean the one where a suicide bomber would kill a dozen or so Israelis if he or she was lucky and the Israelis would bomb indiscriminately at their targets killing many more Palestinian civilians then the suicide bombers actually did. Oh i remember that. Funny how it all started with a not so innocent visit to Jerusalem by Sharon.
Reply 27
Tibia
Unfortuanly i have been stricken with procrastination. Making a thread for every bombing in Iraq alone would be to hard and Nefarious would get mad.

I know - I'm sure the Israeli representative had similar issues at the beginning of the academic year - daily rocket attacks into Israel. Neffy would indeed get mad. I commend the Israeli rep. for her willpower to restrain from making a new thread every single day. :smile:

But true none the less. The rate of suicide bombing isn't going to rise to the level it was during the intifada. The Checkpoints and the security wall have made sure of that.

Good thing they exist then.

The Intifada? Oh you mean the one where a suicide bomber would kill a dozen or so Israelis if he or she was lucky and the Israelis would bomb indiscriminately at their targets killing many more Palestinian civilians then the suicide bombers actually did. Oh i remember that.

Sounds as if you're pardoning the method of suicide bombings on the account that they only kill 'a dozen or so..if he or she was lucky.''
Tut tut Tibia - dangerous path to go down.

Funny how it all started with a not so innocent visit to Jerusalem by Sharon.

How interesting - according to Imad Faluji, the Palestinian Authority Communications Minister, the violence had been planned since ''Chairman Arafat's return from Camp David, when he turned the tables on the former US president and rejected the American conditions."

Also, the violence actually broke out a day before Sharon's visit - where an Palestinian police officer working with Israeli police on a joint patrol opened fire and killed his Israeli counterpart!
Reply 28
Tibia
Does this attack really need a thread condemning it? People are dying across the world. I don't see anyone making a thread about their deaths. Iraq was a peacefully February 2003. Now it's a living hell. That is a lot worse then the first suicide bomber in 9 months killing 3 people.

Israel suspects that the representative for Kenya is an ignoramus who refuses to condemn the killing of innocent civilians. It is probably, however, due to the fact that the civilians in this case are Israeli. Kenya also seems to not see the significance in an attack in Israel because there hasn't been one in 9 months which, for Israel, is pretty impressive. Additionally, it breaches the ceasefire and shows how distant the hope of peace is. It's not purely about the bombing per se, which is also important. If there was a suicide bombing in London again, do you think a thread should be made about it? Because with your logic, obviously not, because people are getting killed in Iraq so who cares! :rolleyes:

[OOC]I am pretty sure you're acting OOC by the way. I don't see why Kenya would refuse to condemn this. Letting your personal views get in the way?[/OOC]
Russia invites the GA to consider, in the light of what this discussion has become, why Israel and the Palestinian Authority cannot come to a peaceful agreement. Can it perchance be that neither side is willing to forget the past and move on?
Reply 30
Agent Smith
Russia invites the GA to consider, in the light of what this discussion has become, why Israel and the Palestinian Authority cannot come to a peaceful agreement. Can it perchance be that neither side is willing to forget the past and move on?

I told you already! Evidence has it that the Palestinians refuse to settle in their territory whilst Israel still exists. The reason peace can not be achieved is because peace is not wanted. Destruction is wanted (not by our side, FYI).
Reply 31
Agent Smith

If so why did Israel unilaterally withdraw last year and has said that they are potentially prepared to give more land for the sake of peace?
And why do Hamas and other such organisation repeatedly refuse to recognise Israel's right to exist?
Seems a bit one sided to The Marshall Islands.
OOC: At this point, although it may look like running away, I'm going to have to stop because I'm not certain of the intricacies of Russian foreign policy regarding this issue, and if I go further my own views are going to start coming out.
Reply 33
Agent Smith
OOC: At this point, although it may look like running away, I'm going to have to stop because I'm not certain of the intricacies of Russian foreign policy regarding this issue, and if I go further my own views are going to start coming out.

I'm intrigued as to what your own views are regarding the issue.
Reply 34
Good thing they exist then.

Imposing Martial law would reduce crime.

Sounds as if you're pardoning the method of suicide bombings on the account that they only kill 'a dozen or so..if he or she was lucky.''
Tut tut Tibia - dangerous path to go down.

I'm not pardoning. I am just comparing the fatality rate. Israelis kill more civilians then the Palestinians do.

How interesting - according to Imad Faluji, the Palestinian Authority Communications Minister, the violence had been planned since ''Chairman Arafat's return from Camp David, when he turned the tables on the former US president and rejected the American conditions."

Oh you mean the same guy who claimed that the first intifada was started by him?

Israel suspects that the representative for Kenya is an ignoramus who refuses to condemn the killing of innocent civilians. It is probably, however, due to the fact that the civilians in this case are Israeli. Kenya also seems to not see the significance in an attack in Israel because there hasn't been one in 9 months which, for Israel, is pretty impressive. Additionally, it breaches the ceasefire and shows how distant the hope of peace is. It's not purely about the bombing per se, which is also important. If there was a suicide bombing in London again, do you think a thread should be made about it? Because with your logic, obviously not, because people are getting killed in Iraq so who cares!

Are you even reading my posts? I haven't mention that i refused to condemn the deaths. Oh and btw your the ignoramus. If there was a bombing in London then that would warrant a thread because suicide bombings are rare in the UK.

I told you already! Evidence has it that the Palestinians refuse to settle in their territory whilst Israel still exists. The reason peace can not be achieved is because peace is not wanted. Destruction is wanted (not by our side, FYI).

Oh and Israel refuses to give up the West bank. By West Bank i mean 100% of it, 100% water access and the settlement roads taken apart. Not the Israeli version of the west bank that gives the Palestinians 90% of the land and unable to use the roads effectively splitting them up.

And why do Hamas and other such organisation repeatedly refuse to recognise Israel's right to exist?

They have acknowledged the existence of Israel has a reality. That is one step closer to recognising. Supporting Fatah isn't going to help the matter though.
Reply 35
Tibia

Are you even reading my posts? I haven't mention that i refused to condemn the deaths. Oh and btw your the ignoramus. If there was a bombing in London then that would warrant a thread because suicide bombings are rare in the UK.

Unfortunately I have to read your posts. Right then, so do you or do you not condemn the attacks?

Aha see you don't understand! Suicide bombings in Israel are now rare! Last had one in April 2006! They happen in Iraq practically everyday and they're still reported on the news. You don't seem to understand that this isn't only a rare suicide bombing AND in a city that has never suffered from terrorism before but it is a breach of the ceasefire, etc!

Oh and Israel refuses to give up the West bank. By West Bank i mean 100% of it, 100% water access and the settlement roads taken apart. Not the Israeli version of the west bank that gives the Palestinians 90% of the land and unable to use the roads effectively splitting them up.

Yeh. And why? Because that still wouldn't satisify the Palestinians! Just like Gaza didn't, despite claiming it would. And ha, what's wrong with 90%? Ever heard of a compromise? That's usually what happens when two parties negotiate. 90% is a pretty good deal to me and if they're not willing to even work on that then baby that's their loss.
gemgems89
I'm intrigued as to what your own views are regarding the issue.
A short summary would be that a little guilt lies with the Israelis, somewhat more with the Palestinians, but vastly more than that with the surrounding Arab nations. But I really do not wish to drag that into a MUN discussion.
Reply 37
Unfortunately I have to read your posts. Right then, so do you or do you not condemn the attacks?

All right before we go through a paxman vs howard. I'll clear up the confusion. Yes i do condemn it since it was an attack on civilians. If it was an attack on soldiers then my mind would be at ease.

Aha see you don't understand! Suicide bombings in Israel are now rare! Last had one in April 2006! They happen in Iraq practically everyday and they're still reported on the news. You don't seem to understand that this isn't only a rare suicide bombing AND in a city that has never suffered from terrorism before but it is a breach of the ceasefire, etc!

Do you know how they are reported in the news? "Oh and in other news there was triple car bombs in Baghdad anyway Immigrants. Are they stealing your daughters?"

With Israel it is headline news.

Yeh. And why? Because that still wouldn't satisify the Palestinians! Just like Gaza didn't, despite claiming it would. And ha, what's wrong with 90%? Ever heard of a compromise? That's usually what happens when two parties negotiate. 90% is a pretty good deal to me and if they're not willing to even work on that then baby that's their loss.

Uhm this was proposed to Arafat. The deal that everyone says was a generous one for the Palestinians. I don't think you understand the deal. Right now in west banks are settlement roads that connect them to Israel. The Palestinians aren't allowed to touch them or use them. The Israeli plan was to give 90% West bank to the arabs the settlements and their roads would be intact with the same rule still applying. Meaning that People living in the West bank would be cut off from each other. How the hell are they supposed to accept a deal that effectively slices the west bank into different zones?

They could just do what they did in Gaza and fight until the Israelis gets sick of it and leave.
Reply 38
Tibia
The fence is making the lives of Palestinian civilians difficult. They are losing their farm land and thousand year old olive groves. The Israelis are selling them (illegal but enforcement is really weak). Just like the checkpoints. Palestinians have died trying to get to hospital. A journey that should be simply be 20 minutes.

And suicide bombings are the solution to having difficulty?
Reply 39
Tibia
All right before we go through a paxman vs howard. I'll clear up the confusion. Yes i do condemn it since it was an attack on civilians. If it was an attack on soldiers then my mind would be at ease.

zOMG you just condemned a Palestinian attack! They're coming to get you now! :rolleyes: Well done. Israel commends you for finally (albeit stubbornly) managing to condemn this attack. It seems like our inter-country relations are ALREADY improving.

Do you know how they are reported in the news? "Oh and in other news there was triple car bombs in Baghdad anyway Immigrants. Are they stealing your daughters?"

With Israel it is headline news.

Hardly. And that's what it was like with Israel when suicide bombs happened every other day. They hardly ever happen at all now hence the need for headlines.

Uhm this was proposed to Arafat. The deal that everyone says was a generous one for the Palestinians. I don't think you understand the deal. Right now in west banks are settlement roads that connect them to Israel. The Palestinians aren't allowed to touch them or use them. The Israeli plan was to give 90% West bank to the arabs the settlements and their roads would be intact with the same rule still applying. Meaning that People living in the West bank would be cut off from each other. How the hell are they supposed to accept a deal that effectively slices the west bank into different zones?

They could just do what they did in Gaza and fight until the Israelis gets sick of it and leave.

Your mentality is exactly the reason the fighting is still going on. The Palestinians have been offered such good deals but they have always been rejected. Instead of working towards their state, they just ask for more and more. So as you do, the Palestinians think fighting and killing will drive the Israelis out. Are you mad? It won't drive us out but it will effectively drive them out since it's kind of hard for the Palestinians to compete with the IDF.

[OOC]A bit irrelevant but interesting nevertheless; did you know that nearly 50% of all Palestinians in the West Bank and Gaza are under 14?[/OOC]

Latest

Trending

Trending