The Student Room Group

How bad is it to be taller than the guy??

Okay so there's this guy that I really like and we talk all the time and he likes me too and we're planning to meet but I have one problem.. :frown: I am about 2 inches taller than him.. Okay, I know how superficial that sounds but that's because 2 guys with about the same difference in height and one who was the same height as me all mentioned that I was tall, asked if I minded being taller or said they wouldn't usually be with a girl who was taller than them which of course made me feel extremely AWKWARD :frown:

It's not my fault that I am tall and I really don't want it to ruin things for me but I can't predict what will happen and if it doesn't work out between us then I want it to be for a real reason other than feeling awkward because of a couple of stupid inches.. :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Okay so there's this guy that I really like and we talk all the time and he likes me too and we're planning to meet but I have one problem.. :frown: I am about 2 inches taller than him.. Okay, I know how superficial that sounds but that's because 2 guys with about the same difference in height and one who was the same height as me all mentioned that I was tall, asked if I minded being taller or said they wouldn't usually be with a girl who was taller than them which of course made me feel extremely AWKWARD :frown:

It's not my fault that I am tall and I really don't want it to ruin things for me but I can't predict what will happen and if it doesn't work out between us then I want it to be for a real reason other than feeling awkward because of a couple of stupid inches.. :frown:

Height isn't much of an issue until you make it an issue.
Reply 2
Original post by Monkey D. Luffy
Height isn't much of an issue until you make it an issue.

Then why did those guys comment on it? :/
Reply 3
At the end of the day, it only matters if you care about what other people think. Which is a dumb way to walk through life. Heck, you can't tell a difference between two inches! If you find each other attractive and you like his personality and so on, then don't let a few inches get in the way of it. A few years down the line you will not even think about it.
Exactly. It's not their business, and if you base your preferences on comments other people make, then you're never going to be happy because everybody has a different opinion. Height is only as much of an issue as you make it.
Reply 5
Its not going to work, just be kind and tell him you are not Snow White and he's Grumpy.
Then why did those guys comment on it? :/

As far as I can tell from what you have written, they said they usually wouldn't but it does sound like they are willing to make an exception. You feel awkward about this because maybe you're insecure about your own height?

I can only tell you things from my own experience. I'm a 5'6" guy and my girlfriend is 5'11". Generally, the guys that make comments on it are her platonic friends who obviously want to go out with her, but she likes having them around (they do go shopping with her after all). (they are around the same height as her as well)
I usually just made jokes out of what they were saying and that was the end of that. It wasn't much of an issue to me and because I feel it's not much of an issue, she doesn't.
Height is an issue for my also milady

I think you will be friendzoned
My best friend is a girl and is way taller than her boyfriend. They do not seem to have a problem at all, because they don't give a damn what other people think about it. They are happy together and make one another happy regardless of their height difference and more importantly it's nobody else's business that you happen to be taller. So what? it's probably just jealousy, or because it is unusual, and there is nothing wrong with unusual.
I personally wouldn't mind to be honest. I actually think as a guy it would be quite cool go out with a girl a couple of inches taller haha

Who cares? As long as you both like each other, then don't let what other people say make you worry, he probably couldn't even give a damn about height! :biggrin:
Honestly, just go for it.

The guys who commented obviously did have a problem with it, but so many people won't. I've been with a shorter guy and a guy who is the same height as me and neither even commented on height.

This guy might have absolutely no problem with it and there's no point worrying, for that reason. If you like eachother, I can't see a small difference being a problem :tongue:

I think that whilst some people wouldn't actively seek a girl taller than them, if there is an attraction / connection, height will not be an issue.

So I guess what I'm saying is, you may not have shorter guys coming up to you in public, but you already have a thing with this guy, so it will be of far less importance.
Reply 13
How tall are you?
the fact that you're taking notice of a height difference is only going to make this height difference worse
why care about something so insignificant? men care less about it than women according to statistics so you've got no problem as the woman thinking about this
Original post by Monkey D. Luffy
As far as I can tell from what you have written, they said they usually wouldn't but it does sound like they are willing to make an exception. You feel awkward about this because maybe you're insecure about your own height?

I can only tell you things from my own experience. I'm a 5'6" guy and my girlfriend is 5'11". Generally, the guys that make comments on it are her platonic friends who obviously want to go out with her, but she likes having them around (they do go shopping with her after all). (they are around the same height as her as well)
I usually just made jokes out of what they were saying and that was the end of that. It wasn't much of an issue to me and because I feel it's not much of an issue, she doesn't.

My goodness are you a midget. No Napoleon complex as of yet?
I couldn't be with a guy shorter than me, I just couldn't. :no:
Original post by thisistheend
My goodness are you a midget. No Napoleon complex as of yet?

Haha. Believe it or not, there are some people who are actually smaller than me. I have no problems about my height, it is part of who I am.
Serena is taller than Dan and they're a great couple who got married in the end
I cannot fathom why height is such an issue for girls.

If you like each other, why on earth would height be an issue? Seems extraordinarily shallow to me.

Original post by littlenorthernlass
I couldn't be with a guy shorter than me, I just couldn't. :no:

Why not?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending