The Student Room Group

Am I eligible to apply for chemical engineering with a foundation year?

I am currently studying maths, biology, chemistry and spanish. Maths went awfully this year and because of exam results, I'm going to have to drop maths. By dropping it, will I still be eligible for the foundation year?
Or do I have to be taking like humanities etc, to be eligible?
I'm looking at Manchester, Sheffield, Nottingham, Newcastle but I find the entry requirements slightly unclear
It will depend on the individual university but foundation years tend to take applicants from a wide range of backgrounds, from those who didn't quite get the grades to those who don't even have any traditional qualifications. I can only really speak for Manchester's foundation year as I'm not familiar with the others but generally speaking, the less relevant your subjects, the higher the university will want your grades to be. For example, Manchester usually asks for BBC in relevant subjects or ABB in inappropriate subjects. So technically, you'll still be eligible if you drop Maths but they'll probably want higher grades from you.

I wouldn't really advise dropping Maths as it's the single most important subject for engineering. The university isn't going to look favourably on an applicant who's just dropped Maths trying to get onto a Maths-dominated course. They'd probably question if you'd even be able to handle the foundation year if you struggled with AS-level Maths.
I think you'll require lower grades than those who didn't take the relevant subjects at AS/A2 i.e. Maths but yes...foundation years usually lead you onto your course as long as you pass the end of year examinations
Reply 3
You're going to struggle without Maths in foundation year anyways, afaik the foundation year for manchester chemical engineering isnt easy as it is, without maths will be very difficult. You also need 70% average to pass foundation year and get onto the actual course so maybe take that into consideration too.
Original post by jLou711
You're going to struggle without Maths in foundation year anyways, afaik the foundation year for manchester chemical engineering isnt easy as it is, without maths will be very difficult. You also need 70% average to pass foundation year and get onto the actual course so maybe take that into consideration too.

Just a small clarification; you only need an average of 60% across the entire foundation year to get into Chemical Engineering. You do, however, need an average of 70% in the two Maths-dominated super units.
Reply 5
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
Just a small clarification; you only need an average of 60% across the entire foundation year to get into Chemical Engineering. You do, however, need an average of 70% in the two Maths-dominated super units.

Really? do you do chem eng foundation year at manc?

i have a friend who got above 60 and still failed. not sure if he got above 70 in the maths modules though.

i thought a 70% average in foundation year was pretty high and a bit harsh.
Original post by jLou711
Really? do you do chem eng foundation year at manc?

i have a friend who got above 60 and still failed. not sure if he got above 70 in the maths modules though.

i thought a 70% average in foundation year was pretty high and a bit harsh.

I did it the year before last, but for electrical engineering, not chemical. It's all taught together though, it's only the module selection and pass requirements that differ between subject pathways.

The full pass requirements for Chemical Engineering are:

Overall average of 60%

Average of 70% in Super Units 1 and 3

Average of 60% in Super Units 2 and 4

There are some additional smaller requirements but if you achieve the ones above, you'll more than likely be fine.

I agree that 70% is quite high, it's just due to the competitiveness of the course. Mine were significantly lower for EEE. I feel sorry for the physics students who have to get 80% in the first three super units and 70% in the fourth. :gasp:
Reply 7
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
I did it the year before last, but for electrical engineering, not chemical. It's all taught together though, it's only the module selection and pass requirements that differ between subject pathways.

The full pass requirements for Chemical Engineering are:

Overall average of 60%

Average of 70% in Super Units 1 and 3

Average of 60% in Super Units 2 and 4

There are some additional smaller requirements but if you achieve the ones above, you'll more than likely be fine.

I agree that 70% is quite high, it's just due to the competitiveness of the course. Mine were significantly lower for EEE. I feel sorry for the physics students who have to get 80% in the first three super units and 70% in the fourth. :gasp:

i have a friend who did fy at dmu, and got 90% overall and he transferred to imperial for mechanical engineering. #shocked !!!

Quick Reply

Latest