The Student Room Group

Tools for graphic design?

Hi guys, new to this and this is the current situation i am facing

I start graphics design at southampton solent university in september and i've got the basics such as, Laptop, Sketch books, Pens + pencils / various drawing tools etc etc. However i have myself an Ipad which i used for my university interviews as a small sub portfolio but i am considering selling this in order to buy a graphics tablet (wacom) as i am a bit strapped for cash but i just would like to know what any of you other graphics design students prefer to have and how useful really is an Ipad on a graphics design course? Do you guys use it to store work or to sketch on etc etc?

Any feedback on this topic would be greatly appreciated and thanks for taking the time to have a look! :smile:
Original post by sammywhite
Hi guys, new to this and this is the current situation i am facing

I start graphics design at southampton solent university in september and i've got the basics such as, Laptop, Sketch books, Pens + pencils / various drawing tools etc etc. However i have myself an Ipad which i used for my university interviews as a small sub portfolio but i am considering selling this in order to buy a graphics tablet (wacom) as i am a bit strapped for cash but i just would like to know what any of you other graphics design students prefer to have and how useful really is an Ipad on a graphics design course? Do you guys use it to store work or to sketch on etc etc?

Any feedback on this topic would be greatly appreciated and thanks for taking the time to have a look! :smile:

Hi there,

Super sorry that nobody has responded to you yet! Hopefully this will be of help!

A graphics tablet will be of far more use to you than an iPad in graphic design. Something like this will be more than suitable for you: http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/computer-accessories/graphics-tablets/wacom-intuos-pen-ctl-480s-enes-graphics-tablet-21732496-pdt.html - I have an earlier version at a similar price point.

Most of your first year will, however, be paper based as they attempt to wean people off Photoshop (many people went straight to that instead of paper).

If you've got any further questions then please just quote me in and I'll do my best to answer. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest