The Student Room Group

What type of visa for research internship in the States?

I'm not sure if this is correct place to ask this question. Let me know where I ought to post it if you have a better idea.

I've been accepted to work for about a month or so on my gap year at John Hopkins University in a research lab. It's a fairly uncommon situation because I know the US is great at encouraging their own students to take part in projects, but they offer relatively few opportunties for internationals.

However, I have been lucky enough to persuade this lab to accept me and cover basic costs whilst I'm there. But because they've never had a British intern, they are not sure how to go about applying for a visa on my account. Does anyone have any experience with this?

WOuld I even need a visa if this is a private arrangement and I'm not going to get paid v much? If so, how likely is it that I will be successful in my application and who do I need to contact?

I really really want this to happen (such a great opportunity!) so if you can offer any help or advice it would be v v appreciated.

Thanks,
Talia x
Reply 1
Yes you will need a visa, there shouldn't be any problems at all getting it provided you have enough patience to wait in the US embassy in London for several hours. In order to work out what visa you need I'd look at http://www.usembassy.org.uk/ and if you can't find one there thing ring them up.
Reply 2
If nothing else works, you can probably just get a traveler's visa, which allows you to stay in the US for up to 3 months I believe.
Reply 3
But you wouldn't be able to work and earn money on that visa,surely?
Reply 4
arkbar
But you wouldn't be able to work and earn money on that visa,surely?

I got the impression that she will have her costs covered but won't get paid. If she's not getting paid, I doubt the government will go after her.
OP: Johns Hopkins...make sure to get that right! They did a presentation at my high school and said applications that leave the "s" off Johns typically go in the bin :p:
Reply 6
shady lane
OP: Johns Hopkins...make sure to get that right! They did a presentation at my high school and said applications that leave the "s" off Johns typically go in the bin :p:

oh the angry outburst that engulfed the room when a teacher in my school pointed out to a boy that he had totally mispelled the name of this cambridge college (he was applying to Catz i think)...was very funny to say the least.
Reply 7
shady lane

that worries me... I know that it is johns, but my councellor keeps calling it john hopkins. I mean, you can only emphasise the s so much without sounding like you have some kind of lisp.

i'm sure they'll excuse a dodgy english councellor!
Reply 8
I'm sure they'll excuse all types of dodgy English.
Reply 9
the sometimes sunshine child
I'm not sure if this is correct place to ask this question. Let me know where I ought to post it if you have a better idea.

I've been accepted to work for about a month or so on my gap year at John Hopkins University in a research lab. It's a fairly uncommon situation because I know the US is great at encouraging their own students to take part in projects, but they offer relatively few opportunties for internationals.

However, I have been lucky enough to persuade this lab to accept me and cover basic costs whilst I'm there. But because they've never had a British intern, they are not sure how to go about applying for a visa on my account. Does anyone have any experience with this?

WOuld I even need a visa if this is a private arrangement and I'm not going to get paid v much? If so, how likely is it that I will be successful in my application and who do I need to contact?

I really really want this to happen (such a great opportunity!) so if you can offer any help or advice it would be v v appreciated.

Thanks,
Talia x

Yes you will require proper documentation... Especially now. My folks work for GE and they too offer internships for US and International students, and the criteria for internationals BEFORE they are accepted is that they have to prove that they have the appropriate credentials to work in the USA. The embassy should be able to help you out. You've got a leg up if you already have a letter from them saying that they'll accept you. I'm surprised that it's only 1 month... Usually it's for 3-4. You can't get much research done in a month. They'll just finish training you and it's time to go.. What type of research is it?
I believe it's the J1 visa you'll need (the type that people going on Camp America type affairs get). Easy enough to get, I'm pretty sure they reject very few people.

They need to arrange it for you....well initiate it anyway. Unless you go to BUNAC or somewhere and get them to get you one, then just go work for Johns Hopkins once you get there.
Reply 11
Be careful with the J visas however. Those are explicitly exchange visas, and you may have a two year bar attached to your travel.

In other words, you get to come to the U.S., but you can't seek employment or other types of stays (but excluding tourism) in the U.S. until you show two years of residency in your home country. Living two years in a third country doesn't count towards this requirement.

The idea is that, since your stay is part of an exchange, your home country must also derive some benefit from it.

Latest

Trending

Trending