The Student Room Group

So, you want to do a ski season?

Scroll to see replies

Hey I am so desperate to do a ski season I have had to take an unexpected gap year due to my grades so have a lot of retakes in May/June. My teacher thinks a full ski season would not give me enough time to work for them. Is it possible to do a half season like until march time? Or even late feb? I just have a lot of work to do which is the priority for getting into uni next year and I have booked a cooking course who will try get me a job with skiworld anyone know if they are okay with this?
Unlikely. They take you on to work the whole season - until April. They'll be unwilling to take someone on, train them, uniform them, etc etc, that can't do even one of the busy periods, let alone the whole season.
Reply 542
Hi I'm currently applying for a chalet supervisor role for workaseason (inghams, ski total and esprit). I've done a season before as a chalet host.

They've asked me to complete two assessments, one being create a weekly rota for myself as a chalet supervisor and include looking after 4 chalets.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips experience or advice about the role? Or the application process? Generally anything would be much appreciated!!
hi, hoping to do a ski season as challet host/ chef. Just asking if anyone has any advice on where to do training for everything? Thanks, Beth
Original post by bethgarratt1234
hi, hoping to do a ski season as challet host/ chef. Just asking if anyone has any advice on where to do training for everything? Thanks, Beth

Are you hoping for this season?

As a host you won't need any training, just experience in anything customer service based like hotels will stand you in good stead.

There are lots of chef courses around if you Google.
Hey all. I'm heading out to Meribel for this season and just have a few questions about what to bring with me. Any advise would be really appreciated!!

1) Ski/boot hire isn't included in my package so I'm going to have to hire my own. Is it worth investing in buying my own boots if I'm going for the whole season? If so, can anyone recommend whether I am best buying these in UK or in resort? Both in terms of quality of choice/fitting but also price.

2) Will I need to bring a coat other than ski jacket? Like should I bring a standard kind of UK winter coat for going round in the evenings or do people just wear their ski jackets everywhere?

3) What kind of shoes should I bring? I know I need trainers for work but is it worth bringing a pair of walking boots too with better grip? What shoes do people tend to wear in evenings?

Cheers in advance for any help!
Original post by bananadude
Hey all. I'm heading out to Meribel for this season and just have a few questions about what to bring with me. Any advise would be really appreciated!!

1) Ski/boot hire isn't included in my package so I'm going to have to hire my own. Is it worth investing in buying my own boots if I'm going for the whole season? If so, can anyone recommend whether I am best buying these in UK or in resort? Both in terms of quality of choice/fitting but also price.

2) Will I need to bring a coat other than ski jacket? Like should I bring a standard kind of UK winter coat for going round in the evenings or do people just wear their ski jackets everywhere?

3) What kind of shoes should I bring? I know I need trainers for work but is it worth bringing a pair of walking boots too with better grip? What shoes do people tend to wear in evenings?

Cheers in advance for any help!

1) Buy boots. Buy them in resort so that any issues can be sorted there. You might pay a bit of a premium for them in resort, but that's better than not being able to sort them out. Don't worry about skis till you're out there, hire places will probably have some older ones you can use for minimal cost and will know what to give you.

2) Not necessary, but could be useful, remember it doesn't stay cold forever - by March you'll be sweating your backside off in a heavy insulated jacket. But for everything else a ski jacket is normal.

3) Grip and warmth / weather proof is important. Trainers will be f***-all use when there's 6inches or more snow. Snow boots don't cost much and are pretty useful.
Original post by Drewski
1)

Very helpful, cheers Drew!
Adding on what Drewski said, one of the best bits of advice I got before my first season was to take a 'pub jacket' if you have space. This was a warm but old jacket that I could wear to the pub and then bundle into a heap of jackets in the corner and not worry about. Drinks get spilled, stuff gets stolen, so I didn't want to take my nice ski jacket out with me. Did it again last year, bought a 2nd jacket for £6 on ebay that was warm enough to get me to the pub but I didn't care what happened to it.

Loads of people will be wearing snowboots around resort, including to the pub, they're a good shout.
I'm 22 soon, not been to uni yet, could I do this? :smile:
Original post by SallyMae
I'm 22 soon, not been to uni yet, could I do this? :smile:

There's no age limits on doing a ski season. I've known 18yr olds do it, I've known 50yr olds do it.
Original post by Drewski
There's no age limits on doing a ski season. I've known 18yr olds do it, I've known 50yr olds do it.

Yeah I thought it was mostly 18 year old gap year students though :colondollar:

I'm considering America instead of Europe if I'm lucky enough to get a job, not sure if my age would help there because I can drink in the US
Yeah I thought it was mostly 18 year old gap year students though :colondollar:

I'm considering America instead of Europe if I'm lucky enough to get a job, not sure if my age would help there because I can drink in the US

Getting work in the US as a Brit is nigh on impossible. There are no work visas we're eligible for.

Canada would be an option, but their visas are booked months in advance - it's too late for this year by a long way.
Original post by Drewski
Getting work in the US as a Brit is nigh on impossible. There are no work visas we're eligible for.

Canada would be an option, but their visas are booked months in advance - it's too late for this year by a long way.

Is that for low level jobs or just generally?

I'm in no hurry not going to uni for a while, actually thinking about next year :smile:
Is that for low level jobs or just generally?

I'm in no hurry not going to uni for a while, actually thinking about next year :smile:

Any job. If you can't get a visa you can't work.

That's why working in Europe is better, no visa required.
What do people tend to do about money when out in resort? I'm heading to France and from what I can see the best bet seems to be to get a prepaid travel card (I'm thinking of getting the Post Office one which is a Mastercard). My only concern is that I have read that some places won't accept these cards. Anyone got any advice on this?
Original post by bananadude
What do people tend to do about money when out in resort? I'm heading to France and from what I can see the best bet seems to be to get a prepaid travel card (I'm thinking of getting the Post Office one which is a Mastercard). My only concern is that I have read that some places won't accept these cards. Anyone got any advice on this?

That's what I did for my stay. Shops might not accept them, but cash points do, so it's not too hard to work around.

Besides, hopefully you'll be getting tips and that'll provide you plenty of cash for a good while.
Original post by yamada
Hi! I am studying electrical engineering at ryerson university in Toronto as an international student. I don't like the program and want to switch to another area. Can anyone tell me which areas are the best for jobs in Canada in the future?

No. But that was always likely to be the case when you asked in a thread about working a ski season.
Original post by yamada
Hi! I am studying electrical engineering at ryerson university in Toronto as an international student. I don't like the program and want to switch to another area. Can anyone tell me which areas are the best for jobs in Canada in the future?

hello Yamada,You are actually in a great area so you think about not switching. However, there are also a lot of other great areas such as in business and science. You can check up on different professions on sites like jobsaloon.com
Can anyone reccomend the best companies to do a ski season for? My friend's sister just got a job with Chalet Chardonne in Tignes, but she applied for the big companies like Mark Warner and Crystal as well, just didn't get an offer.

I'm unsure whether to apply for just the big companies, or try some of the smaller ones too!

Also what position is the best (as in pleasant) to work in - chalet host or bar work?
I'm a passionate skier so ski time is important! Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest