The Student Room Group

Chemical engineering 2016 entry

Hi there,
I am applying for Chem eng 2016 entry and it would be great to talk to any others thinking of applying chem eng, good luck for the 13th August.
What AS levels have you been studying?
Where are you thinking of applying?
How's personal statements going ?
Good luck

Scroll to see replies

ANyyoneee???
Reply 2
Yes! Here!! Ahaha it looks like we won't have a lot of competition for now :wink:

I've been studying maths, economics, biology, chemistry and further maths and got AAABC respectively :h:

At the moment I'm thinking of applying to (five from) Sheffield, Loughborough, Manchester, Surrey, Swansea and Aston.

And I haven't started my personal statement :redface:

How about you? How were your results? :smile:
Original post by Zaffre
Yes! Here!! Ahaha it looks like we won't have a lot of competition for now :wink:

I've been studying maths, economics, biology, chemistry and further maths and got AAABC respectively :h:

At the moment I'm thinking of applying to (five from) Sheffield, Loughborough, Manchester, Surrey, Swansea and Aston.

If you're hot come Swansea

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by The_Blade
If you're hot come Swansea

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah okay, I'll put that at the top of my list of things to consider... :angry:

Do you actually study chem eng at Swansea?
Original post by Zaffre
Yeah okay, I'll put that at the top of my list of things to consider... :angry:

Do you actually study chem eng at Swansea?

Going 1st year this September :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Going 1st year this September :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right, sorry! I thought you were just being rude, my bad :colondollar:

I'm guessing results went well then?
Original post by Zaffre
Oh right, sorry! I thought you were just being rude, my bad :colondollar:

I'm guessing results went well then?

Went okay

Whats your ethnicity? :smile:
I was all for applying to newcastle, leeds , birmingham, aston and one other
I really want to do an accredited course but after poor AS results i'm not sure if i will be able to
I got
Maths A
Further Maths C. (Messed up m1 totally so will redo, got A in d2 and fp1)
Chemistry B
Physics B

Also got 6A* ,6A's st GCSE
Will top unis still look at my applicatio?
Reply 9
Went okay

Whats your ethnicity? :smile:

Aw good :smile:

What other unis did you apply for / why did you choose Swansea? I'm gathering information atm :h:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zaffre
Aw good :smile: I'm half Japanese, half Welsh :tongue:

What other unis did you apply for / why did you choose Swansea? I'm gathering information atm :h:

PM me. Don't wanna spam the thread hehe :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by IvoryToast
I really want to do an accredited course but after poor AS results i'm not sure if i will be able to
I got
Maths A
Chemistry B
Physics B

M1 messed me up too, I feel your pain </3

I also think you've done a lot better than you realise - you can continue with maths, chem and phys with ABB. That's already what Aston ask for. You only need to bump up one grade to get into Newcastle, so you don't need to worry too much :smile:

I would also look over where you lost your marks in chem/phys. For example if you lost most of your marks in one exam then that's an easier way to bump up a grade. Your GCSEs show that you are capable :tongue:
Original post by IvoryToast
I got
Maths A
Chemistry B
Physics B

Yes I think so, you're results are good. you could easily get predicted AAB
Original post by Zaffre

Great to speak to a few more Chen eng applicants. I did A level Maths and AS chemistry and physics and I got A*AA respectively. So was really happy.
I have just started my personal statement finding it pretty tough to right it, English was certainly never my forte. I am going to do Further Maths next year to as and a2 alongside chemistry and physics.

Not sure where I am applying yet thinking: Birmingham, bath, Sheffield, Manchester, Nottingham or Surrey 😀
Reply 14
Original post by josephinemar25
Great to speak to a few more Chen eng applicants. I did A level Maths and AS chemistry and physics and I got A*AA respectively. So was really happy.
I have just started my personal statement finding it pretty tough to right it, English was certainly never my forte. I am going to do Further Maths next year to as and a2 alongside chemistry and physics.

Not sure where I am applying yet thinking: Birmingham, bath, Sheffield, Manchester, Nottingham or Surrey 😀

Wow, those are amazing results! Well done :h:

And yeah I've been reading some chem eng personal statements online - I think it's a particularly difficult subject to describe a passion for. "I really love the simplicity and cost-effective application of airlift pumps" just doesn't sound legitimate, no matter how you word it :redface:

Those are some great universities - I don't think you can go far wrong with any of them :tongue: Where have you visited and how did you like them?
Thanks !!! I have visited Surrey, Birmingham and Sheffield. I though Birmingham was amazing definitely my favourite. But I liked Surrey and Sheffield to. I am going to look at Manchester, bath and Nottingham in September.
Have you looked at any??? 😀
Original post by Zaffre
Wow, those are amazing results! Well done :h:

And yeah I've been reading some chem eng personal statements online - I think it's a particularly difficult subject to describe a passion for. "I really love the simplicity and cost-effective application of airlift pumps" just doesn't sound legitimate, no matter how you word it :redface:

Those are some great universities - I don't think you can go far wrong with any of them :tongue: Where have you visited and how did you like them?

Thanks !!! I have visited Surrey, Birmingham and Sheffield. I though Birmingham was amazing definitely my favourite. But I liked Surrey and Sheffield to. I am going to look at Manchester, bath and Nottingham in September.Have you looked at any??? 😀
Studying maths AS + A2 , physics AS , chemistry AS , and chinese AS+A2
grades: A*aa D (lol)
thinking of applying to cambridge (probably not good enough), imperial, manchester, bath and leeds
what is a personal statement :biggrin:
Reply 18
Original post by josephinemar25
Thanks !!! I have visited Surrey, Birmingham and Sheffield. I though Birmingham was amazing definitely my favourite. But I liked Surrey and Sheffield to. I am going to look at Manchester, bath and Nottingham in September.Have you looked at any??? 😀

I've only visited Surrey and Loughborough so far and really liked both, although Loughborough in particular stood out to me :h:

I was too scared to visit any AAA grade universities before I got my results :tongue: I'm hopefully going to a few more now though which is good :smile:
Original post by lai812matthew
Studying maths AS + A2 , physics AS , chemistry AS , and chinese AS+A2
grades: A*aa D (lol)
thinking of applying to cambridge (probably not good enough), imperial, manchester, bath and leeds
what is a personal statement :biggrin:

Hey I'm not sure whether or not to give Cambridge or imperial a shot.
I got the same results as you minus Chinese.
These are my UMS scores. Worth a go or should I not bother?

Maths A level : 549/600Chemistry AS level: 290/300Physics AS level: 266/300

Quick Reply

Latest