The Student Room Group

Chemical engineering 2016 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by vuvuzela
I got an Offer from Birmingham the standard A*AA or four As

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats! When did you send your application off and what are your predicted grades if you dont mind me asking? (applying to bham as well)
Original post by Darcy1
Congrats! When did you send your application off and what are your predicted grades if you dont mind me asking? (applying to bham as well)

Sent 15th October
Predicted A*A*AA (Bio Physics Maths Chem) plus A in F.Maths AS resits

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Table dust
advice from 2nd year

between bath, birmingham, manchester, leeds, surrey, nottingham, ucl, sheffield ect. there's no real difference career wise for engineering. imperial and oxbridge are the black sheep only because they have better exit opportunities. if any of you have aspirations to go into investment banking I recommend you rethink your degree choice immediately.

Not that I want to go into investment banking, but I thought a lot of people with engineering degrees could go into finance? What's bad about it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by arch0wnz
Not that I want to go into investment banking, but I thought a lot of people with engineering degrees could go into finance? What's bad about it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They can. He's more meaning if you lose interest part way through your degree, it will be tough to continue doing it. So long as you are absolutely sure you enjoy Chem Eng, this won't be an issue.

I know bucket loads of engineering grads at the large banks in S&T/IBD.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
They can. He's more meaning if you lose interest part way through your degree, it will be tough to continue doing it. So long as you are absolutely sure you enjoy Chem Eng, this won't be an issue.

I know bucket loads of engineering grads at the large banks in S&T/IBD.

Posted from TSR Mobile

An okay thank you.

Also I was wondering, has anyone gotten acknowledgement emails from Nottingham? How long does it take before they send one, as it's been 3-4 days since I sent my application to UCAS and I've received replies from 3 other unis acknowledging my application.

And have people gotten offers from Nottingham for Chem eng yet or am I just being paranoid lol?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im going to be applying Chemical Engineering in 2018, thought id get started early, has anyone got any tips or helpful books etc for me?
Original post by arch0wnz
An okay thank you.

Also I wa...
Posted from TSR Mobile

I have an offer, others have been offers. It took one day. I applied Oct 15th. AAA/Unconditional offer about 1 week later.
Original post by josephinemar25
Hi there,
I am applying for Chem eng 2016 entry and it would be great to talk to any others thinking of applying chem eng, good luck for the 13th August.
What AS levels have you been studying?
Where are you thinking of applying?
How's personal statements going ?
Good luck

Do you just want to talk?
Or do you have anything you want answered?
Has anyone got an interview with Manchester on 18th November??? and anyone who has already had an interview can you give any tips to help a guy out.
(edited 8 years ago)
got an AAA offer from newcastle :smile: . I applied for chemical and petroleum engineering at surrey and have an applicant day soon. Do you think it would be beneficial/possible to switch to a straight ChemEng program if i wanted to since the modules are very similar.
Original post by giffdiretide
got an AAA offer from newcastle :smile: . I applied for chemical and petroleum engineering at surrey and have an applicant day soon. Do you think it would be beneficial/possible to switch to a straight ChemEng program if i wanted to since the modules are very similar.

got an offer from newcastle as well :smile: AAB. have you gone to the open day?
has anybody else applied for Edinburgh??:h:
Original post by heloo123

Yeah I have post results. Last year they took ages to give me an offer, like in January I think
Original post by 12amadaeus
got an offer from newcastle as well :smile: AAB. have you gone to the open day?

No. Newcastle was my insurance tbh. I am really aiming for surrey/manchester
. But I can confirm the place itself is amazing and the uni seems pretty good.
Original post by heloo123

Yup :smile: got an offer a few days ago, took them about 3 weeks to reply
No. Newcastle was my insurance tbh. I am really aiming for surrey/manchester
. But I can confirm the place itself is amazing and the uni seems pretty good.

do you know anything about the cost of living and accommodation there? im also thinking about making it my insurance.
Original post by 12amadaeus
do you know anything about the cost of living and accommodation there? im also thinking about making it my insurance.

I think the cost of living is somewhat low in comparison to more southern unis. But you get what you pay for so dont expect amazing conditions.Then again i have to admit I have fallen in love with bristols accomodations during a sutton trust scheme so everything looks subpar to me XD
I think the cost of living is somewhat low in comparison to more southern unis. But you get what you pay for so dont expect amazing conditions.Then again i have to admit I have fallen in love with bristols accomodations during a sutton trust scheme so everything looks subpar to me XD

The accommodation at Bristol varies though because I stayed in badock for my summer school and it wasn't very nice in comparison to what my sister had in her first year at Bristol. Like you said you get what you pay for and there is good and not so nice at all unis
Original post by MaxieeTweet
Yeah I have post results. Last year they took ages to give me an offer, like in January I think

Original post by Daniel9998
Yup :smile: got an offer a few days ago, took them about 3 weeks to reply

sickkk, I got mine about a week ago too! congrats guys:biggrin:.. i was just super happy that they didnt require interviews
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 399
Original post by lydiar98
The accommodation at Bristol varies though because I stayed in badock for my summer school and it wasn't very nice in comparison to what my sister had in her first year at Bristol. Like you said you get what you pay for and there is good and not so nice at all unis

I swear there was no chemeng at bristol...i didnt realise when I applied and ended up doing chemistry and making top quality perfume (10/10 worth doing wrong summer school for).

Quick Reply

Latest