The Student Room Group

Chemical engineering 2016 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by milkeys
Im either going into IB or oilngas ( 1000% not chasing the money kappa). Nottingham seems like the best option but Newcastle allows me to do Meng with industry in 4 years as opposed to the 5 year course offered at Notts. I coudnt go for bath as I got Bs and Cs at AS(thought I could get As with no effort and was proven wrong).

BTW did u do a level economics? Im only doing maths, chem and bio. Kinda worried the lack of FM/eco/physics(only as) might be problematic.

Tbh both are great universities and you could still get into IB at Newcastle but it'll be harder. Id visit them both if you can't decide between them then.

I'm doing math, chem and bio as well. It won't make that much of a difference. All you need to do is show a big interest in the finance industry, they teach you everything once you get in anyway.
Original post by Daniel9998
Tbh both are great universities and you could still get into IB at Newcastle but it'll be harder. Id visit them both if you can't decide between them then.

I'm doing math, chem and bio as well. It won't make that much of a difference. All you need to do is show a big interest in the finance industry, they teach you everything once you get in anyway.

oh ok. u doing beng or meng? I applied for meng with industry , but might switch to beng if I decide to pursue IB fully(in which case nottingham would defo be the better option)
Original post by sadiowitch
No he asked me a series of questions but they were all based around the same equation; don't bother revising it as they don't seem to read your personal statement or anything, plus there's something like 12 different interviewers so you may not get the same one as me.

I arrived at like 10.30, whatever you do, DO NOT BE LATE.

Yeah, they ask the standard questions like 'why Manchester?' but also some stuff like 'what skills does a chemical engineer need?'.

I got an offer :h: They're giving out offers in two batches, one at Christmas and one at Easter; so if your interview is soon then you may be waiting a while.

I applied to Newcastle, Edinburgh, Heriot-Watt, Manchester and Nottingham; I have offers from all except Heriot-Watt who don't seem to have given out any offers for ChemEng yet.

im not too sure that they are too big on being late as i turned up at 1:30 and i still got my offer, i believe the start time is for talks on the subject and doing a tour which i had already done before. Also, have you been sent that application seminar thing by herriot-watt?
Original post by wazirwazir
im not too sure that they are too big on being late as i turned up at 1:30 and i still got my offer, i believe the start time is for talks on the subject and doing a tour which i had already done before. Also, have you been sent that application seminar thing by herriot-watt?

Aye it just looks really bad when you wander in late.

I have an information evening invite thing if that's what you mean?
Aye it just looks really bad when you wander in late.

I have an information evening invite thing if that's what you mean?

:u: I guess I managed to play it off well. Yes thats the thing im thinking of. They havent mentioned whether it is an interview type thing or whether attendance will affect the offer. Do you reckon it will?
:u: I guess I managed to play it off well. Yes thats the thing im thinking of. They havent mentioned whether it is an interview type thing or whether attendance will affect the offer. Do you reckon it will?

Nah, if it was an interview they'd have to tell us hahaha

I'm not going, I don't live anywhere near any of the cities!
Nah, if it was an interview they'd have to tell us hahaha

I'm not going, I don't live anywhere near any of the cities!

I guess that true, I just wanted to confirm that thinking, i sometimes make poor decisions aha. It is a half hour train to London from where i live so i guess i may attend that one. I hope it is useful.
Original post by milkeys
Anyone here looking to go into IB after their degree?

You know it.
I guess that true, I just wanted to confirm that thinking, i sometimes make poor decisions aha. It is a half hour train to London from where i live so i guess i may attend that one. I hope it is useful.

Are you wanting to go to Heriot-Watt?

I'm just putting Newcastle (AAA) as my firm and no insurance (#yolo), and hoping for the best haha! All of my current offers are A*AA-AAA, and I really don't want to go anywhere else.

I'm just putting Newcastle (AAA) as my firm and no insurance (#yolo), and hoping for the best haha! All of my current offers are A*AA-AAA, and I really don't want to go anywhere else.

May I ask what made you sure about Newcastle?
I have an offer aswell :redface:
Original post by ImNervous
May I ask what made you sure about Newcastle?
I have an offer aswell :redface:

Numerous reasons!

It was a toss up between Manchester and Newcastle, but Newcastle are being a lot better about disability, I prefer the city and the KIS looks a lot better imo :h:

Congrats on your offer!

Well I am not really in a position to be choosy, I got ACCC last year but I know i couod have done better (sixth form is a steep step up i wasnt expecting) I want them to give me am offer so they can be insurance, their website said the offers arr in the range BBB-ABB.
Im glad to see you are confident in your abilities! I am still debating Manchester or Edinburgh as firm.
Numerous reasons!

It was a toss up between Manchester and Newcastle, but Newcastle are being a lot better about disability, I prefer the city and the KIS looks a lot better imo :h:

Congrats on your offer!

Well I hope you meet your offer. :biggrin:
And what does KIS stand for?
Original post by ImNervous
Well I hope you meet your offer. :biggrin:
And what does KIS stand for?

Key Information Sets, they're really useful for comparing student feedback on universities! There's a link here (x)
What do you guys think is best between Nottingham and Manchester?

Also is there any way to get out of the partners scheme and get a standard offer from Newcastle? I was unaware that you had to firm it to get the reduced offer when applying through partners and wanted it as my insurance, at this point I'd take a standard AAB (for their BEng) offer and put them down as my insurance, if not then I'll have to decline them :frown:

And anyone got recent offers from UCL? Still no word since early november...
(edited 8 years ago)
Key Information Sets, they're really useful for comparing student feedback on universities! There's a link here (x)

Thank you! :biggrin:
Well I am not really in a position to be choosy, I got ACCC last year but I know i couod have done better (sixth form is a steep step up i wasnt expecting) I want them to give me am offer so they can be insurance, their website said the offers arr in the range BBB-ABB.
Im glad to see you are confident in your abilities! I am still debating Manchester or Edinburgh as firm.

I only did 3 AS levels so I had a lot more time to concentrate on them haha! If it helps, Manchester is an AMAZING city and the uni is so so so nice, it was such a difficult decision for me to put Newcastle as my firm.
I only did 3 AS levels so I had a lot more time to concentrate on them haha! If it helps, Manchester is an AMAZING city and the uni is so so so nice, it was such a difficult decision for me to put Newcastle as my firm.

Im very pleased for you to have done well! I feel like I am in a better position this year so ill give it my all. I was drawn towards Edinburgh because i dont like cities with concrete everywhere and Edinburgh has such amazing parks, hills and the lot. The decision is made harder because its like 6 hours away on a train and I hate the cold and Manchester is very respected for their research and industry link so i still have more research to do ahaha.
Has anyone had an imperial interview, if so what sort of questions did they ask in terms of academic questions?
Im very pleased for you to have done well! I feel like I am in a better position this year so ill give it my all. I was drawn towards Edinburgh because i dont like cities with concrete everywhere and Edinburgh has such amazing parks, hills and the lot. The decision is made harder because its like 6 hours away on a train and I hate the cold and Manchester is very respected for their research and industry link so i still have more research to do ahaha.

Ahhh right, Manchester is really good for gigs and stuff and there are parks! Also it's only 1.5 hours away from the lake district (where I live) and we have LOADS of hills!

Definitely go back to both of them if you're really torn.

Quick Reply

Latest