The Student Room Group

Chemical engineering 2016 entry

Scroll to see replies

I'm a bit stuck, I'm pretty sure that i'm firming Nottingham for Chem Eng however i'm stuck for insurance. At last minute I thought i'd put Sheffield Hallam down and they offered 320 points. I also have Heriot-Watt who offered BBC but i'd prefer to live in England. Only thing is, its a brand new course at Sheffield Hallam and nobody has done it so no reviews have been made etc. I'm also a bit hesitant as S.hallam isnt quite as good of a uni as my other choices:/
Original post by Super199
Yh got UCL on saturday wbu?

On Saturday?
Original post by tryacademics
Still waiting on an offer or rejection, what are the conditions on you offer? Did you apply for meng or beng?

Meng and AAA and pass in fourth AS. Where else did you apply
Yh lol. It was at like 6am, but this was an email from Ucl

Original post by President J
On Saturday?
Ucl's WORLD ranking is good however my brother studies chemeng there and it is ****, lecturers will just walk away after finish the lecture, and there is no way to find them, and no help at all!! BTW his friends in manchester said that the lecturer and lessons are awesome

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know how important it is to have a year in industry in your degree?

Would not doing the year in industry at university put you at a disadvantage??
Original post by Celinajy
Ucl's WORLD ranking is good however my brother studies chemeng there and it is ****, lecturers will just walk away after finish the lecture, and there is no way to find them, and no help at all!! BTW his friends in manchester said that the lecturer and lessons are awesome

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I have heard this and know of one guy who has complained so far because he is not of the view that he is getting his money's worth for 9,000 pounds a year.
Looking through the new Diamond Building at Sheffield and feeling blessed to have an offer to take up a place there in September ☺️
Original post by President J
UCL offer just came through. AAA so happy. I've been waiting since Oct 15th.

Wow congrats, I applied 15th October they took 5 weeks, they must have been sleeping on you. Are you firming it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by vuvuzela
Wow congrats, I applied 15th October they took 5 weeks, they must have been sleeping on you. Are you firming it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm a gap year student so may have been holding out. Had an offer last year but gap year.
Ive got offers from UCL and UOB, which university would you say is better for ChemEng because im leaning towards UOB.
Original post by irendeep
Ive got offers from UCL and UOB, which university would you say is better for ChemEng because im leaning towards UOB.

UoB is a lot better tbh, UCL is better if you want to change courses, and for reputation. If you are a definite chemical engineer, the year in industry and quality of teaching means UoB is better

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone who has not done Physics at either AS or A2 got an offer from Manchester?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ImNervous
Has anyone who has not done Physics at either AS or A2 got an offer from Manchester?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just had my interview today. Hope I got an offer. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just had my interview today. Hope I got an offer. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

How do you think it went? Was it quite informal or did you have to answer a lot of technical questions? I'm sure you did fine! I hear they usually say that the interview is just a formality and an offer is on the way :smile:
Original post by LoneWolf17
How do you think it went? Was it quite informal or did you have to answer a lot of technical questions? I'm sure you did fine! I hear they usually say that the interview is just a formality and an offer is on the way :smile:

I think it went okay? I got asked one technical question. And they had a sheet which I caught a glimpse of. With either ticks or crosses pertaining to different things. It seemed like it was much more than a formality or maybe it was because I don't do physics so they are reluctant on giving me a place. They also asked the big 3 question. Why Manchester? Why Chem eng? And what is Chem eng? But I'm pretty sure most unis would ask that.
Original post by irendeep

Im thinking of firming University of BirminghamThe Chem Eng department seems great! They encourage you to have a year in industry and offer study abroad years too. I live in Birmingham and the city itself is great and if you look in the rankings, student satisfaction is high:

http://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2015/may/25/university-league-tables-2016#S170

And the research standard for Birmingham is higher than I expected (scroll to page 13)

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/sites/default/files/Attachments/2014/12/17/x/o/z/sub-14-01.pdf
I don't really understand the numbers but it's the ranking that I'm looking at. Also this is the 2014 one but I couldn't find a 2015 one?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't done physics at A2 or AS, got an offer for AAA in math,chem and bio sometime back in december.
Anyone had their interview at Loughborough yet? How was it?
UCL offer also came through today. Applied on 5th November

Quick Reply

Latest